Pro Wrestling Only

Titans of Wrestling #45: Mid-Atlantic in the 1970s, Part 2

http://placetobenation.com/titans-of-wrestling-45-mid-atlantic-in-the-1970s-part-2/

titans45.jpg

Parv, Pete, Johnny and Kelly return to Mid-Atlantic to look at the late 70s, which is a story of two men called Rick.

On the docket tonight:

Ric Flair vs. Steamboat (06/15/77) (TV title)

Ric Flair promo on a private jet

Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat (3/12/78) (Andre as special guest ref)

Flair, Ernie Ladd and Big John Studd promos

Greg Valentine vs. Jimmy Snuka (1978)

Boris Malenko and the Masked Superstar (1977)

Ken Patera vs. Ricky Steamboat (1979)

Iron Sheik vs. Ricky Steamboat (falls count anywhere, 1979)

Masked Superstar face turn (1980)

This show:

- Steamboatmania is running wild in North Carolina

- Flair's development as the best promo in the business

- Andre defines "Disney-chic"

- Johnny gurgles with Professor Malenko

- Comparison of Steamboat and Bob Backlund as top babyfaces

I have been holding out for all three parts, but super-pumped there is a playlist.

Be sure to let us know what you make of the footage as well as they show itself. That's one of the things that I really hope to do with Titans is get people actually watching stuff from the 70s. I feel like we managed to do that with the Bruno promos, but not always sure how much people actually watch, y'know. Understandable when it's endless Philly cards opened by The Baron, but this shit deserves to be seen -- I especially like that Hawk and Hansen vs. Weaver and Neilsen tag that Pete was high on. If anyone else watched it, let us know!

Heck of a fantasy booking. Instead of falling down the card and headed back to Titan Land, what if Steamboat was the one that saved Flair from Terry Funk at Starrcade '89, joined forces with the returning Andersons to be the latest Horsemen, only to challenge Flair at Wrestle War and then get kicked out at Clash 10?

Of course Sting was positioned as THE GUY at that point, so its hard to argue with the plan they had, but if you put Steamer in Sting's role in early 1990 would probably have given a more epic feel to that whole angle.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been holding out for all three parts, but super-pumped there is a playlist.

Be sure to let us know what you make of the footage as well as they show itself. That's one of the things that I really hope to do with Titans is get people actually watching stuff from the 70s. I feel like we managed to do that with the Bruno promos, but not always sure how much people actually watch, y'know. Understandable when it's endless Philly cards opened by The Baron, but this shit deserves to be seen -- I especially like that Hawk and Hansen vs. Weaver and Neilsen tag that Pete was high on. If anyone else watched it, let us know!

Finally watching this now. The opening tag is fucking great. Also LOVE the second Valentine/Wahoo match with the leg break. Watching some of the promos, I feel like some on the romanticism showered on un-scripted, extemporaneous, etc. promos is misplaced, or at the very least comes from a place of nostalgia/rose-colored glasses.

Finally watching this now. The opening tag is fucking great. Also LOVE the second Valentine/Wahoo match with the leg break. Watching some of the promos, I feel like some on the romanticism showered on un-scripted, extemporaneous, etc. promos is misplaced, or at the very least comes from a place of nostalgia/rose-colored glasses.

I want to give this some attention on the promo round tables starting up towards the end of this month. I think there's a huge transition between promos in the 70s and the 80s and then another one in the late 80s. No one has really done much granular analysis on that, but it seems to me that the subdued promo style of the 70s gave way to the top-of-the-lungs shouty style of the 80s and somehow it got there through Dusty, Flair and Billy Graham.

I want to give this some attention on the promo round tables starting up towards the end of this month. I think there's a huge transition between promos in the 70s and the 80s and then another one in the late 80s. No one has really done much granular analysis on that, but it seems to me that the subdued promo style of the 70s gave way to the top-of-the-lungs shouty style of the 80s and somehow it got there through Dusty, Flair and Billy Graham.

I am sure part of my perception of the promos comes from having lived through the Hogans, Austins, Rocks, etc. John Valentine is the one that stuck out to me, because I have always heard guys like Bruce Mitchell rave about him as a promo and praising his believability, credibility, and such. It's obviously a very small sample size, though. Flair was Flair, of course.

• 2 weeks later...