Pro Wrestling Only

Exile on Badstreet #2 = The Death of the Universal Wrestling Federation

KrisZ

Yeah, what can I say but another home run boys?

One thing I'd love to know more about is the Rick Rude shoot comments about Flair in 87. It was mentioned briefly, but I'd never heard anything about this before. Was Rude trying to interject himself into the title matches?

Posted this in ep 1. Reposting here instead. I've edited my comments there to actually be about the right episode.

Anyway:

Made it the rest of the way through yesterday. This was probably one of my favorite history based podcasts ever. The level of research as opposed to just recollection from everyone involved was obvious and it was focused and I learned a lot. Even the huge aside on Gilbert was interesting because I hadn't known any of that. It was all balanced too. This wasn't just "JCP is stupid" for three hours. When things were done well, credit was given. When they were done poorly, reasons were sought out, etc.

Listened to this on the trip to Watertown and this is now the second podcast in my "favorited" section on Podcast Addict. I knew nothing going in and while contextually I'm rough around the edges, I feel like I know SO much more than I did at the beginning of the show. Enlightening and engaging. Really, all I want out of my podcasts.

I listened to this entire show again yesterday, because there was some stuff I missed first time around. Really good stuff, and I'm also wondering if there's any footage of the Rude-Flair stuff.

Some of those cards Kris was running down were hilarious. Anyone know what sort of shape Hiro Matsuda was in circa 1987? I literally can't believe they ran with Sullivan vs. Matsuda on top in Greensboro. There must be another story to explain the atrociousness of that card.

Kris mentioned in passing that he's planning a two-part look at the decline of JCP. I thought I'd share a show Chad and I did about two years ago on that same topic when we reviewed the Good Old Days doc (second hour): http://placetobenation.com/where-the-big-boys-play-47-jim-crockett-promotions-the-good-old-days/ Super interested in this panel's takes on what factors were to blame primarily and who was to blame primarily. If Kris is planning two parts on that, I can only imagine the depth that's going to be covered in. This show has been like podcast mana for me.

• 2 weeks later...

About 30 min in to listening to this. Home Team Sports (Baltimore-based sports channel that carried Orioles games) was added to cable across the region by late 86. They carried the Central States "All-Star" TV in late 86 until I think it either went away or was replaced with the Florida. I remember seeing the setup for Dundee/Houston Starrcade '86 match on there. The Florida TV started running on there & they aired it at either 6 or 7pm on Saturday and Sunday. Luckily they replayed it on Sunday as I was dorkish enough to attempt to flip between the TBS show and the Florida so I was able to pretty much catch all the content between the 2 airings.

Late 80s syndicated & cable TV wrestling was pretty crazy. I remember PWI used to routinely run comments from readers comparing how many different hours & promotions they got in their markets. That might be an interesting show. That and the thought behind PWTW TV being kind of an aggregator of the various groups.

I finished listening to this and I second all the love for this series and this podcast in particular. I started reading the sheets in 1988, I started with Torch and then found the Observer a year or so later. So I had missed the demise of UWF coverage. I guess it never really occurred to me that there was "more to the story" than presented in PWI, on TV etc. so I was really kind of amazed how much I didn't know about UWF that I learned on this show. I had no clue about the era where Jim Ross ran it and how the sale itself went down. There was so much TV wrestling to follow at that time that I guess I had forgotten just how haphazard & confusing following all those shows were. I distinctly remember all the changes to the FL and UWF TV after the takeover as HTS carried both & I remember attempting to watch them for months where they were just revoiced versions of the same matches etc. I seem to remember this continued for months. I guess at one point there were variations in the TV but they did eventually become the same but with different graphics packages and announcers.

I was also glad to hear where Mighty Wilbur came from as I had always wondered that. I think I had heard before about the Starrcade dark match cards but had completely forgotten having heard that.

I'm wondering if there was ever thought behind TWN trying to keep the different territories afloat and trying to manage 3 promotions under one umbrella. Clearly from a TV perspective they tried to but sounds like they didn't have the infrastructure to run 3 separate territories under one main office. That would be an interesting theoretical to discuss.

Interesting to hear the hint about the Gilbert/Terry Justice stuff. I have a bunch of pdfs of Justice's newsletters that I've never had the time to really dig into.

I'm really looking forward to hearing you carry this thru 1988.