Pro Wrestling Only

Exile on Badstreet #2 = The Death of the Universal Wrestling Federation

KrisZ

exileonbadstreetmain.png

Kris is joined by David Bixenspan (davidbix.com and f4wonline.com) and Dylan Hales (Wrestling Culture podcast) to discuss the demise of the Universal Wrestling Federation. We discuss the buildup to the buyout and how Jim Crockett Jr. & Dusty Rhodes took was once maybe the best promotion in the country and turned it into a complete afterthought. Listen to us talk about every thing under the UWF name, especially the sleaziness of Mike Boyette & Gary Young!!

http://placetobenation.com/exile-on-badstreet-2-the-death-of-the-universal-wrestling-federation/

Serious ups to Word Hoard, great image.

Im an hour into this show and it is jam packed with great knowledge about the politics of the territory. My favorite tidbit so far is Ross role as the syndication guy and how that would come back to haunt him later in his career.

For any newer posters, if you've ever wondered where the feud between myself and jdw originated, take a look at this from two years ago:

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/19298-little-questions-thread/page-4&do=findComment&comment=5538251

Long story short we had a massive ding dong about whether the oil thing was a factor in the demise of Watts. I maintained it was one of several factors, he absolutely refused to accept that. Things got nasty. I even left the board for a month or so after that. But there it was.

I'm about an hour into this and it's been really top notch so far. So glad that there are two hours left.

I'm with Matt on that point. You guys clearly know your stuff, but the discussion seems to lead you down avenues of thought that you haven't considered fully. Sort of an encapsulation of why PWO is a necessary thing to have for hardcore wrestling fans. I am loving this series so far even if it covers topics I only want to put some heavy watching time into at this point. The educational value of something like this is off the charts.

Listened to about 2/3rds yesterday and finishing today. You're awesome, Kriz, this is like an even denser (and I mean that in a good way) WO Sin Limite when Dave goes deep into wrestling history. I didn't know much about UWF either, seeing as how it died before I was even born and have only seen some mentions of it through watching Crockett stuff from the time.

This was tremendous and I look forward to hearing the future Crockett 88 podcast. You guys should do one about Continental as well.

Am I the only one that would actually be interested in seeing Kevin Sullivan vs Hiro Matsuda? (Obviously not as a replacement to Starrcade, though!)

Also thank you Dylan, you owe me 2 USD. That's probably the amount of beer that came out of my nose when I was drinking this very nice 11 USD Belgian lambic and you said "McGuirk didn't have a very good eye for talent".

This was tremendous and I look forward to hearing the future Crockett 88 podcast. You guys should do one about Continental as well.

Am I the only one that would actually be interested in seeing Kevin Sullivan vs Hiro Matsuda? (Obviously not as a replacement to Starrcade, though!)

Also thank you Dylan, you owe me 2 USD. That's probably the amount of beer that came out of my nose when I was drinking this very nice 11 USD Belgian lambic and you said "McGuirk didn't have a very good eye for talent".

That was my Dave Musgrave tribute line.

Really excited to listen to this tomorrow. I was born in Tulsa the year after the UWF folded and have always heard older fans I know, like my step mom, talk about "the good old days." I'm just now getting to see the footage but I've always looked at the UWF and the guys who wrestled there as sort of the 'home team,' if that makes sense.