Pro Wrestling Only

Top babyfaces getting heel reactions

bucky

This stems partially from Reigns I guess, but moreso because I've been watching Memphis from 82-83 and every time I've seen Bockwinkel come to town to face Lawler, there's these women in the front row booing the shit out of Lawler. I saw it in like three or four different matches even, it's crazy. I don't know, maybe these women are always in the front row of the MSC and I just never noticed them? Maybe they just love Bock and his very large vocabulary?

So I'm thinking about odd/negative babyface reactions. There's a lot of examples with Hogan I think, and HBK in MSG vs Sid. I'm sure this has happened plenty of times over the years, but I can't think of too many examples. Maybe a crowd that broke out into a Let's Go Gagne/Gagne Sucks chant at the St Paul Civic Center in 1979? Did that ever happen

Alright, what the fuck do you want me to say, that the Fantastics weren't getting booed in late 88 and 89? Don't understand the point of arguing.

this tends to be a common thing with you. you gotta realize that people want specific examples that aren't marred by other mitigating factors. you're very much a "grand narrative" kind of guy, and the best way to debate those types is to get completely nitty-gritty. it's part of why jdw does what he does with you.

Look, I can't bloody remember beyond the general time period. Clash 4 sticks out because I like that match, but it's far from the only show they were booed on around then. Rock n Rolls got pretty bad reactions before then, and when they came back in 1990 too.

I'm not Data from Star Trek, and it's an unreasonable demand to expect me to be. If you want to argue the point that those teams weren't booed, rock on. I don't want a debate, I just wanted to chuck them out as an example.

Rock at WM 17 and WM 18 have to be the most famous examples in modern wrestling, right? Actually, Rock was booed quite a bit even at his peak as a top babyface. I remember him getting booed against Angle and Jericho as well. He was almost like a forerunner to Cena, except he would give it right back.

I remember a story from the Observer back in 86-87 about a Crockett show in Canada where the main event was Dusty and Nikita vs. Flair and Tully, and the crowd was totally booing the Superpowers and cheering the Horsemen. So they changed working style in the match, and Dusty and Nikita started acting like bad guys and the Horsemen acted like good guys.