Pro Wrestling Only

Matches/Moments that were better live than on TV

What are some matches or moments you were in the building for that seemed incredible live, but kinda meh when you got back home and re-watched on tape or DVR?

I went to a Nitro back in 1998 or 99 where the mayor of Minneapolis came out to proclaim it Ric Flair Day in Minnesota. Fans booed the mayor, cheered Flair, and Flair cut a nice promo that seemed to have everyone in the building going nuts.

The next day I re-watched the segment on tape and it wasn't nearly as good. It seemed sloppy, and what seemed like a great crowd reaction in the building came across as only so-so on television.

First one that popped into my head was Punk vs. Taker from WM 29. That was a great but windy day and I was clamoring on a memorable match to really put the whole experience over the top. I got into the match with Punk kicking out of the tombstone and was really engaged even though I knew what the end result would be.

Everytime I have watched that match back it has been within the confines of that match only and I think the allure of the match is degraded a lot by the lack of surrounding card and intrigue of the result.

"Lots"

Most AAA shows we went to were better live, in the crowd, seeing the rudos and technicos play the crowd and the crowd respond, etc.

The first night of the 1996 G1 was vastly better live than on TV because they screwed up on micing the event for some reason. The rest of the series played well enough on TV. Then again, I don't know if any of it was better on TV than in the building. I was pleased by how Loss and other wrote up what made the yearbooks: stuff that I liked there and worried wouldn't hold up got some positive comments. I suspect that if people like Loss & Co. were sitting next to us during those shows, they would have had a great time watching it.

The entire ECW Anarchy Rulz 99 show. Live this show was off the charts. It was my first ECW show and I went with a big group. Every match seemed great. Watching it a few days later it just didn't have the same vibe at all and the matches seemed average at best.

All of them?

I suppose that's a fair question. I encounter more and more people who say they would rather watch football/baseball/basketball/hockey on TV than attend live games. Perhaps wrestling fans are the opposite?

Well wrestling is different from legit sports. It's more like going to a rock concert. If you're at the Stanley Cup of NBA finals, the drunk people around you or somewhat obstructing your view is a piss-off. You might miss a crucial goal/basket whatever. In wrestling/concerts, they're part of the atmosphere and you're not looking for the same experience anyway. The most fun I've ever had at a live wrestling event was WMX8 and you could almost literally sing along with the Hogan/Rock match. Sometimes people just want to hear the hits.

I think the match holds up really well on tape, but there's no way to explain the atmosphere in Rupp Arena for the first Rock-Austin title match the night after Survivor Series '98. Just insane heat.

I actually went to that show, but for some reason forgot to set my VCR to tape it. Was so looking forward to going home to watch.

Foley getting tossed off the cell at KOR 98 as I was 6 rows back in the section where he hit the table...that visual you see on TV me and my buddy got to see live...it was crazy. The crowd didnt know what to do at first...some were cheering, some were shocked, some were actually booing that the match was already over and went to quick...When Foley comes back out, the pop was amazing...

And then the choke slam through the top, being ring level you could really see how hard he hit that mat and the chair knock him out....again, we were all just mystified by it.

Seeing the cell raised with Taker on top while they were checking from grond level was a cool site too....

Also

Random Nitro in 99 in State College as another buddy of mine tried to jump at Gene Okerlund as we had 4 seats tight on the aisle way and Gene made a Penn State joke to us as he walked by (which was cool cause he stopped to talk to us), but my drunk ass buddy went to dive and we had to grab him before he could..moron....Little note also from that show, the previous night, Stevie Ray and Brian Knobbs were at the Allen Street Grille (PSU Alums know where I mean) eating a table away from us, so we talked with them for a while....they left NO TIP for the waitress....assholes.....always remember that.

One Final one for me..

RAW in State College in 2000 when Jericho "beat" HHH for the WWF Title...I was a HUGE HHH fan at the time and the people were all over me when that change happened (we had amazing seats near the black rails around the ring....that was WAY better in person as that crowd went NUTS when Jericho won...seeing HHH get it back later was cool to....also, Edge and Christian came out of the crowd right beside us, which was pretty bad ass to...