Pro Wrestling Only

Real World Champion

soup23

At PTBN we are running a series discussing the Real World Champion that is located here: http://placetobenation.com/ptbns-real-world-champion-1983-1988/

This seems like an interesting topic I would like to get opinons from the board on.

Basically we are looking at 1983-2014 and using a combination of drawing power, marketability, match quality and card positioning to pick the champion for each year. There are some choices coming up that I really disagree with but I am curious to hear opinions on whom the board thinks would be the Real World Champion for each year.

We also only restricted this to U.S. and Canda too.

Incidentally, my first post in this thread was not a troll. Based on the criteria, I would pick Flair every year from 83 to 92.

Only two years there's competition is 87 and 91, where in both years Hogan would be the other contender.

I understand wanting to go with different guys, but in the 80s those were your #1 and #2 draws and Flair has Hogan smoked for quality, so it's Flair every year.

At a push I could see a case for Savage in 88.

This is an interesting project, but it presents some real problems.

For starters the brew of criteria itself is problematic. I don't really take issue with any of the listed criteria, but the issue any time you engage with something like this is going to be how much weight do you put on what? For instance Parv's argument for Flair every year is one that I think is very defensible if you are arguing that in ring performance is the dominant criteria. Hell I think you can make a case for Flair most years even if you see in ring performance as a co-equal with the other categories. Having said that I struggle with the notion that in ring performance should mean even half of what drawing power does when you are talking about who should be champion. And from that perspective I think Hogan should win in almost every year listed so far.

Of course the other big question is if the goal of this project is to say who an ideal champ would have been in a given year, or who was the MVP of given years, or who would have had the most potential to break out and have a great run in a given year..or any number of other things? Are the voters in this on the same page with what the goal is? I'm not sure how they can be.

There is also the issue of how you treat the success of regional stars in a discussion like this. For example I think you could make a real case for JYD in 83. I'm not saying I'd take him over Hogan, but it's not a completely outlandish thing to suggest depending on what the goal of the project is, and how much you weight certain pieces of the criteria. But I get the feeling JYD wouldn't have been considered much if at all because he was theoretically regional. Same with Lawler who allegedly came close to getting major title reigns at points during this period (and actually did in the AWA to the extent that was a major title at the time he won it), to say nothing of someone like Carlos Colon who I doubt would even be on the radar at all for this despite the fact that operating under the established metrics there are years where he is arguably as good a pick as anyone (and yes I agree that Colon was never going to be a national star in the continental U.S., but that's also not part of the criteria).

Finally there is the question of whether or not the analysis is meant to indicate the relative value of someone coming into the year in question, or whether or not the exercise is purely about analyzing what they did in the year in question. This is key to me because if you look at Hennig objectively in 1990 based on what we know looking back at his 1990 I think he is a remarkably bad pick - possibly not even one of the ten best options available in a landscape that is admittedly thin on obvious picks.

Having said all of this it is an interesting project and the only pick I strongly disagree with is Hennig. I'd want to look at things more closely but if I were taking the approach of "who would you crown based on what they did in 1989 and the potential they exhibited" I might go with Luger. If I was basing it purely on what the person did in 1990 I still might go with Luger but there are other candidates worth thinking about.

Okay that helps out some......in that case then I think if we are comparing Luger as Parv said to Perfect then I gotta go with Luger.....one thing about Perfect that hurts him is that his program with Hogan was never expanded to the national stage other than tag matches.

This is an interesting project, but it presents some real problems.

For starters the brew of criteria itself is problematic. I don't really take issue with any of the listed criteria, but the issue any time you engage with something like this is going to be how much weight do you put on what? For instance Parv's argument for Flair every year is one that I think is very defensible if you are arguing that in ring performance is the dominant criteria. Hell I think you can make a case for Flair most years even if you see in ring performance as a co-equal with the other categories. Having said that I struggle with the notion that in ring performance should mean even half of what drawing power does when you are talking about who should be champion. And from that perspective I think Hogan should win in almost every year listed so far.

Of course the other big question is if the goal of this project is to say who an ideal champ would have been in a given year, or who was the MVP of given years, or who would have had the most potential to break out and have a great run in a given year..or any number of other things? Are the voters in this on the same page with what the goal is? I'm not sure how they can be.

There is also the issue of how you treat the success of regional stars in a discussion like this. For example I think you could make a real case for JYD in 83. I'm not saying I'd take him over Hogan, but it's not a completely outlandish thing to suggest depending on what the goal of the project is, and how much you weight certain pieces of the criteria. But I get the feeling JYD wouldn't have been considered much if at all because he was theoretically regional. Same with Lawler who allegedly came close to getting major title reigns at points during this period (and actually did in the AWA to the extent that was a major title at the time he won it), to say nothing of someone like Carlos Colon who I doubt would even be on the radar at all for this despite the fact that operating under the established metrics there are years where he is arguably as good a pick as anyone (and yes I agree that Colon was never going to be a national star in the continental U.S., but that's also not part of the criteria).

Finally there is the question of whether or not the analysis is meant to indicate the relative value of someone coming into the year in question, or whether or not the exercise is purely about analyzing what they did in the year in question. This is key to me because if you look at Hennig objectively in 1990 based on what we know looking back at his 1990 I think he is a remarkably bad pick - possibly not even one of the ten best options available in a landscape that is admittedly thin on obvious picks.

Having said all of this it is an interesting project and the only pick I strongly disagree with is Hennig. I'd want to look at things more closely but if I were taking the approach of "who would you crown based on what they did in 1989 and the potential they exhibited" I might go with Luger. If I was basing it purely on what the person did in 1990 I still might go with Luger but there are other candidates worth thinking about.

I find weight to be an inherent issue with any objective list whether it be this, GWE or whatever. I think match quality and Parv's argument are indeed valid but there is still a perception for instance that Perfect was an elite in ring talent in 1990 that was prevalent among the panel voted. That was the pick throughout this whole list I disagreed with the most although my own personal picks for the years aren't the ones that usually were selected by the panel.

I think the overall goal was based on who in that year was the best person presented of all of the criteria listed. This was mapped out in our chats while discussing the project. The idea of potential didn't really take much effect in the overall process. It was a facts presented basis.

I don't want to present myself as some seasoned white knight for the territory guys but I can tell you that I presented applicable territory candidates when I thought they were viable. Lawler was one vote away from winning 1983 for example. Piper in 84 may actually be another one that I disagree with a strong bit.

but there is still a perception for instance that Perfect was an elite in ring talent in 1990 that was prevalent among the panel voted.

Chad (or Justin) - can you ask any of the panel to explain why they have that perception? Like what performances specifically can they point to in 1990 that puts him over the competition? Just seems like a bizarre pick.

I'd put up DiBiase for consideration in 83, 85 and 88.

Andre in terms of star power, drawing etc, might get a look in 83-7.

Magnum TA in 85-6 maybe.

Nick Bockwinkel in general.

Rude in 92.

Honestly though, Flair kills them all if quality AND drawing are both criteria.

If it's just drawing it's Hogan 83-92. If it's both, it's Flair.

If it's "whatever we damn well please", then I don't get the whole thing.

but there is still a perception for instance that Perfect was an elite in ring talent in 1990 that was prevalent among the panel voted.

Chad (or Justin) - can you ask any of the panel to explain why they have that perception? Like what performances specifically can they point to in 1990 that puts him over the competition? Just seems like a bizarre pick.

I'd put up DiBiase for consideration in 83, 85 and 88.

Andre in terms of star power, drawing etc, might get a look in 83-7.

Magnum TA in 85-6 maybe.

Nick Bockwinkel in general.

Rude in 92.

Honestly though, Flair kills them all if quality AND drawing are both criteria.

If it's just drawing it's Hogan 83-92. If it's both, it's Flair.

If it's "whatever we damn well please", then I don't get the whole thing.

World Champion of "whatever we damn well please" is Sid.

93 Vader is an interesting pick. Would said Bret Hart but there is an argument for Vader for that year.Sting a good shout, heck maybe Rude?

The next installment for the early 00s will be an interesting read. Too many to pick from for the different years. Could easily but Angle for 01,02,03 but with the WWE a strong roster, could argue 4 or 5 guys for there.

93 Vader is an interesting pick. Would said Bret Hart but there is an argument for Vader for that year.Sting a good shout, heck maybe Rude?

I haven't listened to this so don't know who they chose, but see Vader as a far stronger pick that Bret in 1993. I see Bret's best years being the ones that sandwich this in 1992 and especially 1994.

It's not a podcast but written text. Just click the link and you'll see their picks.

My pick for 93 is Flair.

Ah, cheers. I saw it was Place to be Nation and assumed it was an audio broadcast.

Interesting that they had Bret for 1992 and 1994 as would be my choice. It would've been a toss up between Flair and Bret for 1992 (with Savage and Sting as an outside bet), whilst I can't even think of a viable alternative for 1994.

Flair going back to WCW was a really big deal for them. It was the ace coming home and they presented him as their top stair.

He brought relevance again to the NWA title, before ending the year as WCW champion in one of the all-time great angles.

Vader may have been the champ for much of the year, but on TV Flair was a constant presence with the Flair for the Gold stuff and still seemed like the biggest deal around.

Over in WWF-land, Hogan is gone after KOTR. I wouldn't give it to Bret, Luger or Yoko.

Incidentally, if I had to keep going:

1994 - Hogan

1995 - Hogan

1996 - Hogan

1997 - Hogan

1998 - Austin

1999 - Austin

2000 - Rock

2001 - Rock

2002 onwards - don't care

Flair going back to WCW was a really big deal for them. It was the ace coming home and they presented him as their top stair.

He brought relevance again to the NWA title, before ending the year as WCW champion in one of the all-time great angles.

Vader may have been the champ for much of the year, but on TV Flair was a constant presence with the Flair for the Gold stuff and still seemed like the biggest deal around.

So you're saying that Flair was the ace and top star for a promotion that supposedly lost around $23 million that year? :D