Pro Wrestling Only

Kevin Sullivan

Grimmas

I have seen most of his WCW work and some of his Memphis stuff. Is there anything from Florida and SMW that would get him into the top 100, because I don't see him close at this point.

I do enjoy his brawls, but I could name a 100 brawlers I like better.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really like him as a worker, but I love listening to him talk. Have been working through Helluvadeal. Guy has a great mind for the business, and an accent I dig.

There's a Sullivan "The Devil in Florida" comp that has been around for years that I've never watched, but I suspect any case to be made for him is going to come from that. Seems more of a out-of-ring character guy than a worker though.

Would need to see more of his prime in Florida to fairly judge. If he's not a top 100 worker, he may be a top 100 gimmick. I think the Dungeon of Doom makes him seem small-time in some people's eyes, but he got that gig by being a fantastic heel who worked really hard to get a terrible feud over. Plus even after that he's got the stuff with Arn/Benoit. The Varsity Club was a very cool gimmick (just watched Steiners-Sullivan/Rotundo from GAB '89: short but very entertaining), and the Army of Darkness was tremendous. They would rank high among top 100 group photos of factions taken on the beach. On his brawling alone, he doesn't make my list, but he is a beloved figure for sure.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm currently working my way through the Memphis set having seen pretty much all of his WCW run. I'm only at the end of disc1 but Sully has been solidly entertaining as a surprisingly stacked meat and potatoes kind of guy against the likes of Dutch etc. Nothing top outstanding really, other than the fact that in Memphis he seems to be sporting some unintentionally revealing trunks which display little slivers of arsecheek on either side which is something of a distraction.

I believe the Devil in Florida comp is on youtube now, so Ill add that to the cramming list before Mania. I have about 11 places left fo fill but at this rate I doubt he'll make the cut. If I was doing a personal favourite gimmicks list though, he'd be a dead cert.

Parv: Out of interest have you seen any of the Kayfabe Commentaries Sullivan DVDs? If not you'll probably enjoy them.