Pro Wrestling Only

NWA On Demand

Wow, I don't think Bock vs Reed was even on our radar. I'm haven't seen more than three or four minutes of Bock vs Dusty. I'm with Grimmas. Any new Andre is gold. Dusty vs Reed sounds really exciting too. I'm not sure we have any singles matches between them. I know people were curious just in the last day or two about how good Lunde was pre-Arn and that's a good opponent for us to see.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shot through the heart and you're to blame Bruce Tharpe, I was so ready to type Bock/Reed. Since that's not an option now I'm gonna vote for the midget tag match with Reed vs. Wrestling II as a close 2nd. Any time you give me a chance to see Cowboy Lang vs. Little Tokyo I'm gonna take it.

Steve Williams vs Barry Orton

I thought this was a ton of fun when Barry Orton was on offense. I loved the punch off the break. Orton comes across as really sleazy and opportunistic here. Doc is pretty green here. He even has the amateur wrestling body. Eventually Doc's strength is too much for Orton. Barry does a great job in taking all of Doc's big moves. A really fun showcase for Doc that Orton did a good job making interesting

Nick Bockwinkel vs Dusty Rhodes

This would be called a dream match and it wouldn't be hyperbole. The AWA World Champ vs the 2 time former NWA World Champ and biggest box office draws around. This card was called a Night of Champions and had both the AWA and WWF titles defended on the show. This is the 1st match in a 2 match series. So the point of the 1st match is to make people believe that Dusty can win the title and have a screwy finish to set up the Bull rope match next month.

It starts with Ted Dibiase issuing a challenge to the winner. We open with a lock up and early on Dusty knocks Bock down and we get a Funky Like A Monkey strut .Bock is fun in stooging for Dusty and coming up ways to eat his offense. Bock is great at creating movement where Dusty reigns supreme. In a big moment Bock misses a top rope knee drop. Dusty goes for the knee and puts him the Figure 4. Ted comes out and lays Dusty out in a bloody mess and Nick goes over. I really wish we would have seen them milk the drama of some leg work to set up the Figure 4. I think it would have given the finish more gravitas. 2 3/4*

I watched The Guerreros vs. Duggan & Jose Lothario yesterday and man The Guerreros were really ahead of their time. They're such a great stooging and bumping team but when they get in control of the match they really don't rely on the "long heat building to a hot tag formula" at all. The babyfaces usually get a lot of mini comebacks leading to the big tag. As much as I like the "Southern style" formula and think it produces good results more often than not, I have a lot of respect for them doing their own thing and still having it result in very good matches.

Butch Reed vs Marty Lunde

This is Butch Reed's debut in Houston. His opponent Marty Lunde is the future Arn Anderson. Butch Reed drew a lot of money over the years, especially in Houston. Marty Lunde never really drew a dime in wrestling. He was essentially an underneath guy in Mid-South. Now Arn Anderson drew more money than both Reed and Lunde combined.

This match was a total blast. Reed has loads of charisma. In his debut he has a connection to the audience that you can't fake it. Marty is already Arn here and has the skill set that made him one of the most consistent wrestlers in the history of wrestling. Reed is great on offense . He has a lot of energy. The dropkick he did was great. The arm work was a good base for the match and Reed's offense. Arn was great at eating arm drags, and putting over all of Reed's offense. Arn would use some of his stooging techniques that he would master in a year or 2. His facials here are on point here as well. Reed finishes him with his finisher. A perfect match for Reed to debut on. 3*

Spot on review. Very interesting in that Marty Lunde most definitely already was ARN in this match - without the name. Great confidence. And the connection REED had with the audience was genuine - almost Dusty-like. Which made his heel turn all the more effective. More great matches coming this week. Saw an amazing Mascaras / Lothario vs. Super D / Masked Superstar match (with interference by the original Gran Markus!)

I loved the Lunde match too. "A blast" was my first thought as well. Great foil for Reed's debut. There are a couple of other Lunde matches in the results that sound interesting (Conway, Jr., Williams, Murdoch, Crews, Iron Mike Sharpe(?!)). That Lothario match sounds great. I was somewhat higher on Dusty/Bock than Pete too, but I won't be able to delve into it more deeply until after Thanksgiving.

• Loss unpinned this topic