Pro Wrestling Only

NWA On Demand

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really love Boesch in all of this, by the way. "Committee for Justice, Youngsters, and Decency." How great is that? He's a really wonderful storyteller. I'm not always 100% sure that the stories he's telling are the ones being played out in the ring, but they're always entertaining. He has a moral authority but it's not quite in the same way Lance Russell or Gordon Solie had. He's more Willy Wonka than Bill Watts, but with that same legitimacy of having been in the ring to ground things. He's more like Monsoon than anyone else, but more wry and less languid, with less of a need to chop down the wrestlers in the ring.

Arm Wrestling match

This is an arm wrestling match. Superstar is a master of this gimmick. This was worked so well. SSBG stalling early. The back and forth. SSBG leg movement with the table. Then ultimately cheating and beating on Patera. I absolutely loved this angle, and hope we get the match.

Here's the card if you are interested.

8/2/74 – Houston, TX @ Sam Houston Coliseum
Superstar Billy Graham vs Ken Patera 2/3 Falls (No Ropes) Arm Wrestling
Blackjacks vs Jose Lothario & Tex McKenzie
El Gran Markus vs Bobby Garcia
Mr Kung Fu vs Red Bastien
Inca Peru vs Scott Casey

Inca Peru vs Scott Casey

Thanks

Bruce, I know I asked for this a while back, but is there any way to get a historical scroll at the bottom of the page like you used to have? I tend to binge watch NWA on demand, and I like to go back and watch the matches in the order they were posted. The only way I have this ability now is go and cross reference the matches that have been posted with Shoe's ratings and reviews (Thanks Shoe!)

Inca Peru vs Scott Casey

Now I want to see some Tex McKenzie:

07.jpg

zmBvmZ.gif

8qo16g.gif

Pak Song vs Hito was a nice novelty. The Hart promo was very good. The match itself wasn't particularly good as a showcase for Pak Song. Hito took a lot from underneath and I wonder if they were seeing if the crowd might get behind him. Boesch had fun with it I think.

On to Stomper vs Atlas. This was a really fun Clash of the Titans. The stuff with the hat was great. Atlas worked SO big and this match was meant for that. Stomper's body language played right into it. The post match was very cool and lead to the even cooler Atlas promo and Gino vs Slater. I won't spoil the end but it was a month and a half or so before one of them showed up again so the stip was met. Look, we don't always know the Houston context like we do with Memphis or Florida but there are special nights. This, to me, felt like a special night, much like the Mil vs Tully video from a while ago did. It felt like Buddy Rose losing his hair in Portland or the Midnight Rider winning the world title but refusing to unmask in Florida. The crowd was amazing in this and they were probably buzzing for weeks after it. I had no idea there was a moment like this just sneaking up on us

From September 1982: Brass Knucks Title - MONGOLIAN STOMPER vs. TONY ATLAS and GINO HERNANDEZ vs. DICK SLATER - online now!

This was for the Brass Knucks titles. I thought this was a super fun fight. Atlas with the hat was so cool. We get a little back and forth at start. Atlas in control using his cool athletic offense at 1st. Stomper cuts him off and beats on him. Atlas gets a little comeback gets cut off again. This time though Stomper has Atlas bloody and he really works the cut. Post match Tully and Gino attack. Slater is in the thick of this. Atlas cuts a really energetic promo that I got behind. 3 1/4*

This goes right into Gino vs Slater. Slater takes it to him. While in an adominal stretch Gino gives Slater a thumb in the eye. Gino takes it to Slater. Gino misses his big elbow. Tully and Atlas join the fray. We get a big a brawl between the 4. The crowd is super hot, and the heat here feels dangerous.

Overall the 2 matches together made the 2 parts even better. A super hot time in Houston. Atlas in Houston really feels like a mega star, and seems like a better worker.

Reed/Taylor from 5/84 was so good, and tremendously heated for a midcard match with no ongoing feud implications (that I'm aware of, anyway). Reed's amazing selling and bumping for Taylor's early punches, the neck work with Taylor's crazy no-hands bump on the hotshot, the brass knucks in the trunks, Taylor bleeding, forehead biting, Reed telling a fan to get in the ring, Taylor's fiery comeback, molten hot crowd...I figured it'd be good, but they just hit us with a ton of great stuff that I wasn't expecting. I might've had it top 50 if it had been on the Mid-South set.

• Loss unpinned this topic