Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 8/24-8/30

Strummer

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get the Dudley hate in some corners of fandom right now. I don't think it can be argued that they aren't still over, and anybody who saw any of Bubba's solo work in TNA will have to admit he's in the best shape of his life right now and is still capable of bringing the goods in the ring.

It's not like the WWE Tag Division is so stacked with talent that the Dudleys are taking up a "spot" that would otherwise go to a more deserving team. The WWE has what, 6 viable teams right now? And they tend to hotshot those titles around pretty liberally, no? "Worst case" scenario for fans who dislike the Dudleys is that they take the titles from A New Day - they'll still just end up dropping them back a month or two later.

Besides, both Bubba and Devon went on record before coming back that they wanted to come back to WWE to finish their careers and maybe work in developmental specifically helping Tag Teams.

As far as I can see, they are still very popular, they can still go, they're not going to be holding anybody back or taking anybody's "spot" and they seem to be there for the right reason, to end their careers where they had their biggest success - something they certainly earned. I'm really not understanding the problem people have with those guys.

I adored the Dudleyz return as did just about everyone with a pulse, but to be fair, I went into that episode of Raw thinking 'its Brooklyn, Enzo & Cass are gonna debut to a huge pop"

We got the huge pop but not Enzo & Cass, which is a mild shame but can't complain about this. That NXT tag scene is still bubbling under nicely waiting for the right point. I don't see New Day losing the titles again, but if they did I'm sure it would only be short until another team got the rub

Bubba Ray has actually improved his character value drastically in his TNA run, so while tag teaming is obviously gonna be the priority right now, I'd like to see a couple of singles programmes out of him and maybe a heel run that can wipe that mediocre 2004 run out of people's minds (he was obviously a good heel in ECW but on WWE when he couldn't spit in people's faces and that it wasn't translating at that time). Him doing some kinda programme with an Ambrose or Owens would be droolworthy

All of which reinforces the idea that the Attitude Era guys are the real stars and that today's roster sucks/aren't stars/can't get over. The New Day are the hottest act in the company right now. The Dudleys, two forty-five year old guys doing the Budweiser "What's Up" frog gimmick in 2015, are seemingly being booked to walk in, immediately get the title shot, and beat the freshest act they've got. Why? Because "they'll still just end up dropping them back a month or two later". And what difference does it make when "The WWE has what, 6 viable teams right now?"

Bubba Ray was good by low, low, low TNA standards. His main event run was massively overrated by message boarders desperate for a certain type of southern (by way of NYC) heel. And incidentally: I like the Dudleys. I liked them more seventeen years ago than I do now, but I can see them being a fun addition to the show. I'm even game for them feuding with the New Day. But if they beat New Day for the titles, it sends a really bad message to both the fans and the roster. Do you think 2000 All-Star Game leading scorer Allen Iverson could beat Russell Westbrook one-on-one tomorrow? Even if he could, is that what the NBA would want you to believe? Yet that's the message being delivered by WWE to the casual fan for the thousandth time: "It's not as good as it used to be."

I wouldn't consider taking those belts off New Day right now, but let's not get all up in arms before anything's happened. It's better than them facing PTP again, and the other teams are basically jobbers in comparison. Enzo & Cass was an option but this was a great way of elevating that division in a split second. Even if Dudleyz won which I agree would be wrong, it's still a better looking scene than it was last Sunday