Pro Wrestling Only

MACW - September 1983

Beast

Thursday September 1st 1983

MACW Television Taping from the Civic Center in Roanoke, Virginia

The Red Army - As current NWA World Tag Team Champions The Russians continue to grow in number, the core three members of Nikolai Volkoff, Chris Markoff, & Krusher Kruschev test their comradeship in six-man action against NWA United States Champion David Schultz and the number one contender team of Hector Guerrero & Terry Taylor

The Russian Bear Returns Last seen choking out Terry Gordy with his chain, Ivan Koloff returns to the Mid-Atlantic area to take on perennial Russian enemy Brad Rheingans.

Plus...

Cowboy Scott Casey takes on The Tonga Kid!

The Iron Sheik in action!

Buddy Roberts in action!

Don't miss...

After being cost the NWA World Heavyweight Title by Greg Valentine last week, Ric Flair confronts Buddy Rogers on Rogers Corner

To be aired on Saturday, August 27th.

Friday September 2nd 1983

MACW Live from the Coliseum in Hampton, Virginia

Bob Bradley & Rudy Diamond defeated Steve Estes & Doug Vines in 5:35 when Bradley pinned Vines with a victory roll.

Butcher Vachon defeated Brad Rheingans in 7:23 with his Hangman's Hold.

The Iron Sheik & Scott Casey defeated The Tonga Kid & Terry Taylor in 17:03 when Casey pinned Kid with a rollup while holding the tights.

Hector Guerrero defeated Mad Dog Vachon by DQ in 11:14 when Vachon threw him over the top rope.

MAIN EVENT

The Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes, Gordy, & Roberts) defeated Chief Jay Strongbow, Billy Two Eagles, and Joe Lightfoot at 14:41 when Hayes pinned Lightfoot with a DDT.

That's an awesome idea, but wouldn't it have to be a 10-man tag at this point since Super Russian has been revealed? Or we put another guy under the mask leading to another big twist.

Let's do it Grimmas.

In Mid-Atlantic he can be the Super Russian in Maple Leaf, the Super Russian is dead. It was all a ploy by Valentine. Although Valentine teaming with a bunch of Russians works, as he is a sympathizer in the very least.

Valentine is in Mid-Atlantic for a bit as himself in a different feud so Super Russian looks to be dead.

Still can be a sympathizer though. Let me know if you want my Russians for a big show in the future and we can put a big old match together.

As you will all see from my next TV to be posted tomorrow, Koloff is now officially allied with Volkoff's crew too.

1348126370_7656_NWA%20logo.jpg?itok=1Waj

220px-Jim_Crockett_Promotions_%28logo%29

23msj8o.jpg

Jim Crockett Promotions in compliance with the National Wrestling Alliance presents - Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling from the Civic Center in Roanoke, Virginia with your hosts Bob Caudle & David Crockett!

Bob+and+David.JPG

Bob Caudle - Hello everyone, Bob Caudle here along with David Crockett for another big show from Jim Crockett Promotions and Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling!

David Crockett - That’s right Bob and boy oh boy do we have a show for you tonight.

Bob Caudle - Big six-man action as our NWA World Tag Team Champions The Russians take on their top contenders, Hector Guerrero and Terry Taylor as well as the NWA United States Champion, David Schultz.

David Crockett - There’s actually four Russians in the building today as Ivan Koloff returns to action in Mid-Atlantic. Last time he was here, he crossed paths with the Freebirds and we know that feud has only intensified.

Bob Caudle - The Russians may have to bring along the entire USSR at the rate their racking up enemies here in Mid-Atlantic. We’re also going to hear from the newly whole Freebirds as Buddy Roberts is in action today.

David Crockett - Plus Ric Flair is here and he is not happy about the surprise attack that cost him the NWA World Heavyweight Title last week. None other then Greg Valentine, his former partner was responsible and Flair will be on Rogers’ Corner today to vent some frustration there.

Bob Caudle - But first we begin with two of Mid-Atlantic’s hottest rising stars as “Cowboy” Scott Casey takes on The Tonga Kid.

David Crockett - Casey’s been on a huge winning streak the past month, beating none other than David Von Erich last week, and in pretty short order too. But Tonga Kid has a style unlike any other and this could be Casey’s hardest test yet.

cwEsr2j.pngZqjp7JP.png

The Tonga Kid vs. Scott Casey

(Casey’s more brutish style was effective early as he tore into Kid with punches and kicks, using his size advantage to control the ring, culminating with a big body slam. Mocking the Kid as he got to his feet, he nailed him in the head with a big kick, but Kid was unfazed and in turn nailed Casey with a savate kick which knocked him for a loop. Kid kept Casey off-balance with arm drags and a sweet dropkick right to the chin, using his speed and agility to take control. Reversing a back suplex with a backwards flip, Kid threw Casey into a turnbuckle and nailed him with an enziguri as he stumbled back out.

Sensing victory, Kid leapt to the top rope and prepared to dive off with a flying crossbody press, but Casey knocked himself into referee Sonny Fargo who in turn fell into the ropes, causing them to shake and knocking Kid straight down to the mat, landing on his head. Fargo looked like he was going to disqualify Casey, but was apparently placated by Casey’s pleas that it was just an accident and that it was Fargo’s fault for getting in his way. As Kid slowly got up, Casey prepared for his bulldog, but changed his mind and instead picked him up for a picture-perfect shoulderbreaker, leading to a pin at 7:11.)

David Crockett - Big victory for Scott Casey, but I don’t know Bob, should Sonny Fargo have disqualified him?

Scott Casey - No, no, no, no, no!! It ain’t my fault Fargo got in my way. Hell, I was just going to catch that little Islander and hit my shoulder breaker anyway. I just keep provin’ time and time again that there ain’t nothin’ better than my homegrown American skills in that ring. You can send an Injun, an Islander, a Chinaman, a neg-

(Tonga Kid appeared in front of Casey and threw a light, almost practice-like kick to Casey’s head, causing Casey to flinch and fall back over the announce booth to the ground)

David Crockett - Oh wow, Scott Casey doing his best to avoid Tonga Kid’s educated feet. Need any help Cowboy?

(Scott Casey throws a tantrum and heads to the back kicking the air and threatening crew members as Tonga Kid poses for the fans.)

Bob Caudle - Casey may have won the battle, but it looks like the war has just begun David. Now let’s head to the ring as “Freebird” Buddy Roberts gets a chance to show his stuff against Ben Alexander.

RIP-Freebird-Buddy-Roberts.png

Buddy Roberts vs. Ben Alexander

(A short squash as Roberts kept the advantage through some scrappy brawling moves and by until he hit his DDT for the impressive victory in 3:33.)

Bob Caudle - Roberts hasn’t lost a step since he came back and it looks like his partners are going to join him out here for a word with us.

(Hayes & Gordy come from the back as Roberts heads over to the booth)

1354223824_5193_freebirds.jpg?itok=HnHei

Michael Hayes - Good golly Miss Molly, old Brother Buddy Jack looked mighty impressive out there! The Freebirds are back baby and now that we’re at 100 percent, there ain’t no one around who can tell us what to do.

David Crockett - That may be true, but those Russians still have the NWA World Tag Team Titles.

Terry Gordy - Aw, damn you David Crockett! Those tag belts will come around again, we can wait. Hey, you’re talking to the NWA Television Champion so cut me some slack jack. Even if we don’t got those belts, it doesn’t mean we can use those Commies as target practice if we get bored.

Buddy Roberts - I don’t care about no stinkin’ belt. Darsow, change your name one thousand times, I’m still coming for you. I’ll feel that pain in my shoulder until the end of my days and it would be only fair to make it an eye for an eye.

Terry Gordy - And hey, Ivan Koloff is here today too, huh? Jim Crockett made a smart choice in not giving me a match with him today because that’d be a big hospital bill to pay, but I’m gonna get my hands on him sooner than later. Never should have showed your face here boy, it’s not like I was gonna follow you to Canada.

Michael Hayes - So Buddy’s got Krusher and Bam Bam’s got Ivan, not sure what that means for me. I mean, I’m a perfectly fine specimen of manhood myself and I’m looking for some action.

Bob Caudle - Well last Tuesday in Greenville the fans live saw you beat none other than “Nature Boy” Ric Flair!

Michael Hayes - Don’t call it a fluke Bob Caudle! Both Bam Bam and I have taken that man to his limit before, but man I’m happy to have that notch on my belt. Seems he’s got his eyes set on Harley Race at this time, but wouldn’t it be something if Race found himself on Badstreet first?

(The Freebirds strut to the back as the fans cheer.)

David Crockett - Is Michael Hayes going to making a run at NWA World Champion Harley Race?

Bob Caudle - I would think that Terry Gordy and David Schultz might have something to say about too, let alone Ric Flair. The World Title picture is getting pretty crowded here, and now let’s take a look at another contender, The Iron Sheik.

5Qjssuq.png

The Iron Sheik vs. Rudy Diamond

(Sheik toyed around with Diamond for a surprisingly long time, perhaps to show David Schultz just what he’s in for in the future battles. Lots of suplexes, plus an extended bearhug tired Diamond out to the point that Sheik may as well have been wrestling a broomstick. Finally Sheik picked him up and threw him down with the Iranian Drop, but instead of going for the academic pinfall, put him in the Camel Clutch causing Diamond to pass out from the pain at 4:56)

Bob Caudle - Mighty impressive work by The Iron Sheik.

The Iron Sheik - Bob Caudle, you make excellent excellent analysis. The Iron Sheik is most impressive wrestler and will make most impressive NWA Iranian Champion. David Crockett, you have same name as David Schultz, maybe I should show you what I am ready to do to him?

David Crockett - No, that’s perfectly fine Sheik.

The Iron Sheik - David Schultz knows there is nowhere he can hide, that belt will be mine and Iran will celebrate the defeat of another American joke.

(The Iron Sheik spits on the ground and heads to the back as Volkoff, Markoff, and Kruschev come out.)

Bob Caudle - And speaking of an international presence in Mid-Atlantic, here are our tag team champions, the Russians.

Krusher Kruschev - Bob Caudle, David Crockett, I just wanted to warn you to prepare yourself because in just a moment you’ll find yourself in the same room as the most powerful wrestler in the world today, straight from Mother Russia, our favorite cousin, Ivan Koloff!

(Volkoff, Markoff, and Kruschev sing the Russian National Anthem as Ivan Koloff walks out, chain hanging from his neck.)

AhU3bbF.png

Ivan Koloff - Cousin Nikolai, Cousin Markoff, and new Cousin Kruschev, thank you for welcoming me back. It does my heart proud to see the success my brothers have been having here in Mid-Atlantic. But maybe you should follow me back to Canada. There is not any competition here in America that will challenge you all and make you stronger wrestlers.

Nikolai Volkoff - Cousin Ivan, you make a good point, but there is still work to be done. Did you notice how not one of these disrespectful American fans stood as we sang the National Anthem? Secretary Andropov would not enjoy us leaving before the fight is done.

(Ivan Koloff smiles and nods in agreement and gives Nikolai Volkoff a strong hug and pat on the back, then heads to the ring for his match as the other three head to the back)

Ivan Koloff vs. Brad Rheingans

(Before Koloff could fully step into the ring, Terry Gordy ran out and nailed him from behind with a big lariat. Koloff stumbled out of the ring and hit the arena floor and Gordy jumped out after him. He grabbed Koloff’s chain from around his neck and swung him straight into a ring post. As the other Russians ran back down to make the save, Gordy picked the chain up and swung it around in the air, keeping everyone back. Roberts and Hayes ran down and attacked the Russians from behind as everyone continued to brawl.)

Bob Caudle - We’re out of control here with The Freebirds and The Russians, but the show isn’t over yet folks! Security is already out and as they calm everyone down, let’s head over to Rogers’ Corner with Buddy Rogers

CIJTM37.png

Buddy Rogers - Welcome one and all to Rogers Corner, the highlight of Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling each and every week. Today I will be joined by a man who I’ve made no secret of disliking, but because I am a professional, I will nevertheless welcome Ric Flair to Rogers Corner.

(Ric Flair walks out to cheers, holds his hand out to shake with Rogers, but pulls it back quick, embarrassing Rogers, and takes a seat)

4E9EJw3.png

Ric Flair - Alright “Nature Boy”, what do you got for me? Why have I been invited on your wonderful show today?

Buddy Rogers - I hope last week proved to you that you will never ever be NWA World Champion ever again. You will go down in history as a one-time fluke champion, who provided a hiccup in the long reign of Harley Race. You see Ric Flair, I have thrown down the Gauntlet.

Ric Flair - Enlighten me Buddy, what is this Gauntlet?

Buddy Rogers - It’s actually quite simple. You see, I have made quite a few friends in this business being that I am considered quite the legend. When I made it clear how unhappy I was with you bringing disgrace to my name, “Nature Boy”, I had guys throwing themselves at me to help take you down.

Ric Flair - Like Terry Funk? I retired him Buddy Boy! And now Valentine? He’s going to be sent packing too!

Buddy Rogers - Then I’ll bring in another guy. And another guy. And another guy. And so on. This Gauntlet doesn’t end Flair, and if you ever get a title shot at Race again, one of my guys will be there to cost you the belt again. So I hope you’re patient because I’m prepared to go on for years at this rate.

Ric Flair - I don’t know why Jim Crockett gave you this talk show on Mid-Atlantic TV because you must have no idea what we do here if you think you’ve got my number. I am “The Nature Boy” Ric Flair (whoo!) and this is my house and you my friend are just passing through. They started calling me “Nature Boy” because I was talented enough to remind some important people of you Buddy Rogers, but now, man oh man I hope I’m not like you in twenty-five years because it just doesn’t sound very fun. Sounds like someone needs to invite you to Space Mountain so you can lighten up my friend.

Buddy Rogers - How dare you talk to me that way!

Ric Flair - How dare you Buddy Rogers! How dare you! You’re talking about the wheeling-dealing, kiss stealing, jet flying former and future Champion of the World, Nature Boy Ric Flair! And don’t you ever call me on here ever again just to toot your own horn. Line them up, I’ll knock them down! Greg Valentine, you’re leg may as well already be broken. I can wait to see who’s next! Whoooooooo!

(Ric Flair leaves, letting his chair fall to ground as Rogers is shaking with rage.)

Bob Caudle - Things are starting to boil between the two Nature Boys, but I can’t help, but think Flair is being a little overconfident here because if Rogers is willing to bring in Terry Funk and Greg Valentine, who knows who else may be coming to the Mid-Atlantic area.

David Crockett - Very true Bob. Plus Funk left a mark on Flair’s neck, just as it looks like Valentine might on his leg. Flair will be lucky to be in one piece if he ever reaches the end of “The Gauntlet”.

Bob Caudle - Before we get to our main event, I wanted to share our main events for this weekend’s shows. Tonight in Richmond, we’ll see Ric Flair take on Terry Gordy in a dream match for the ages. Both men are have a lot of respect for the other, but we did see Michael Hayes get an upset win on Flair in Greenville so who knows what will happen if Flair is taken out two times in a row.

David Crockett - And tomorrow night in Lynchburg, the United States title will be on the line as David Schultz defends against Cowboy Scott Casey who is still undefeated on television here in Mid-Atlantic.

Bob Caudle - Unfortunately for him David, that match will not be televised. Now, it’s time for the main event, with huge 6-man action between The Russians and Schultz, Guerrero, and Taylor. It looks like Koloff is out for the rest of the show so hopefully we’ll see some fair 3-on-3 action.

rOIdRSm.pngrIQEs7X.png

FJWYVcG.png

mqdefault.jpgaKPMLLe.pngQ0uQQSW.png

The Russians (Volkoff, Markoff, & Kruschev vs. NWA United States Champion David Schultz, Hector Guerrero, & Terry Taylor

(Very fast-paced match with lots of tagging in and out kept the heels from getting tired too quickly. The first third saw David Schultz all on a roll, using his brawling smash mouth style to keep all three heels off balance, and almost getting a quick three after hitting his diving corkscrew elbow from the 2nd rope onto Chris Markoff. Taylor and Guerrero took their turns being in control, hitting Volkoff with a double dropkick and with Hector almost picking up the win on Kruschev with a Taylor flying forearm knocking Krusher into a sunset flip by Hector, but Markoff broke it up.

Things slowed down a bit as Hector was caught in the Russians’ corner leading to an extended face-in-peril segment with lots of clubberin’. Volkoff kept him in an overhead backbreaker for close to a minute and got a very close two count after Kruschev came off the top rope with a diving elbow while Hector was still in the hold, causing Hector to do an almost 360-flip while falling to the ground. Finally, Hector slid under Markoff’s legs after being sent into the ropes and was able to slingshot in with a flying clothesline. He made it to his corner and Schultz came in with a house of fire, culminating with a piledriver on Kruschev for another close pinfall that was broken up by the other Russians.

It ended up breaking down into a 3-on-3 brawl in the ring until Schultz was pulled outside by The Iron Sheik who entered the ringside area. Markoff joined Sheik in a 2-on-1 attack until Taylor came off the second rope with a flying axehandle. All four men brawled to the back, leaving Guerrero in the ring at the mercy of Kruschev and Volkoff, leading him to be pinned by Kruschev following Lenin’s Tomb.

(Taylor ran back in to check on Hector as Volkoff and Kruschev raised their hands triumphantly.)

David Crockett - Hard loss for Guerrero’s team, but the numbers were just too much. They’ll still be getting their title shot, but who knows which two Russians will show up.

Bob Caudle - Well our main event for next week will be The Iron Sheik taking on the leader of the Freebirds, Michael “PS” Hayes so there’s a good chance we’ll see David Schultz reaction to the Sheik costing his team their match today. Also in action will be Krusher Kruschev taking on The Tonga Kid. All this plus Ric Flair in action, next week on Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling.

Saturday September 3rd 1983

MACW Live from the Coliseum in Richmond, Virginia

Brad Rheingans defeated Tony Zane in 6:14 with a bridging cradle suplex.

Joe Lightfoot & Billy Two Eagles defeated Steve Estes & Doug Vines in 8:23 when Eagles pinned Estes following a top rope chop to the head.

Buddy Roberts defeated Butcher Vachon in 8:44 with a DDT.

Nikolai Volkoff defeated Terry Taylor in 9:35 with a Russian Sickle to the back of Taylor's head.

Hector Guerrero defeated Mad Dog Vachon by DQ in 7:42 when Vachon threw him over the top rope.

NWA United States Champion David Schultz & The Tonga Kid defeated The Iron Sheik & Scott Casey in 15:32 when Schultz pinned Casey with a piledriver.

MAIN EVENT

Ric Flair defeated Terry Gordy in 18:05 by lifting his shoulder up out of a back suplex. Flair and Gordy shook hands after the match.

Sunday September 4th 1983

MACW Live from The Armory in Lynchburg, Virginia

Chris Markoff defeated Chief Jay Strongbow in 6:22 with a bearhug.

Hector Guerrero & Terry Taylor defeated Billy Two Eagles & Joe Lightfoot in 9:21 when Taylor pinned Lightfoot with a flying forearm.

Krusher Kruschev defeated Buddy Roberts in 10:55 after sending him into an exposed turnbuckle and rolling him up while holding his tights.

Brad Rheingans defeated Nikolai Volkoff in 14:51 when Kruschev tripped Rheingans. Kruschev and Volkoff hit Rheingans with Lenin's Tomb following the match.

The Fabulous Freebirds (Gordy & Hayes) defeated The Vachons (Mad Dog & Butcher) in 14:30 when Hayes pinned Butcher with a DDT.

NWAUS-1.png

MAIN EVENT - NWA UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP

"Dr. D" Dave Schultz © defeated "Cowboy" Scott Casey in 22:13 with a piledriver followed by a diving corkscrew elbow.

Monday September 5th 1983

MACW Live from the Civic Center in Asheville, North Carolina

Joe Lightfoot & Billy Two Eagles defeated Bob Bradley & Tony Zane in 9:05 when Eagles pinned Zane with a top-rope tomahawk chop to the head.

Scott Casey defeated Brad Rheingans in 13:20 with a schoolboy rollup while holding the tights.

Hector Guerrero & Terry Taylor defeated The Vachons (Mad Dog & Butcher) in 10:11 when Guerrero pinned Butcher after a double dropkick.

The Tonga Kid defeated The Iron Sheik by DQ in 9:01 when David Schultz interfered tripping Kid as he ran the ropes. Sheik was furious and grabbed the referee by the shirt, yelling about how Schultz had cost him the match on purpose. After throwing the referee down with The Iranian Drop, Sheik was removed from the building by ten police officers.

NWAUS-1.png

NWA UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP

"Dr. D" Dave Schultz © defeated Krusher Kruschev in 17:14 with a piledriver followed by a diving corkscrew elbow.

MAIN EVENT - NON-TITLE MATCH

Ric Flair & Terry Gordy defeated NWA World Tag Team Champions The Russians (Volkoff & Markoff) in 18:10 when Gordy pinned Markoff with a powerbomb while Flair had Volkoff trapped in the Figure-Four Leglock.

Tuesday September 6th1983

MACW Live from Memorial Auditorium in Greenville, South Carolina

Joe Lightfoot & Billy Two Eagles defeated Rudy Diamond & Doug Vines in 9:05 when Eagles pinned Vines with a top-rope tomahawk chop.

Buddy Roberts defeated Tony Zane in 9:10 with a DDT.

Tonga Kid defeated Butcher Vachon in 7:21 with a top-rope flying crossbody press.

Hector Guerrero defeated Chris Markoff by DQ in 11:51 when Markoff started choking Guerrero in desperation and wouldn't break at 5.

Krusher Kruschev defeated Brad Rheingans in 6:04 after Rheingans knocked himself out running into a ringpost after Kruschev moved.

NWATV.png

NWA TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP

Terry Gordy © defeated Nikolai Volkoff in 12:42 with a high angle back suplex.

Dr. D Dave Schultz & Michael Hayes defeated The Iron Sheik & Scott Casey in 24:00 when Schultz pinned Casey with a piledriver.

MAIN EVENT

Ric Flair defeated Mad Dog Vachon in 17:51 with a small package off an attempted Vachon piledriver.

Thursday September 8th 1983

MACW Television Taping from Township Auditorium in Columbia, South Carolina

Freebird vs. Sheik Michael "PS" Hayes takes on The Iron Sheik. Will Hayes roadblock the Sheik's title dreams or will he just be another bump in the road to Sheik's threatened NWA Iran Title?

Russia vs. Tonga He's the newest member of NWA World Tag Team Champions The Russians, but Krusher Kruschev has already made an impact in Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling. He'll meet his toughest test yet against the high flying Tonga Kid! But will "Cowboy" Scott Casey or Buddy Roberts have anything to say about the outcome?

Plus...

The Vachons take on Joe Lightfoot & Billy Two Eagles!

Brad Rheingans in action!

#1 Contenders Hector Guerrero & Terry Taylor in action! And then they will join Buddy Rogers on Rogers' Corner!

Don't miss...

"The Nature Boy" Ric Flair in action! And what more does he have to say about Buddy Rogers' gauntlet?

And

Terry Gordy and Ivan Koloff will both be in the building! Will they come to blows or will cooler heads prevail?

To be aired on Saturday, September 10th

Friday September 8th 1983

MACW Live from the Scope in Norfolk, Virginia

Doug Vines defeated Ben Alexander in 7:12 with a running splash.

Brad Rheingans defeated Tony Zane in 7:45 with a bridging cradle suplex.

Buddy Roberts defeated Bob Bradley in 11:12 with a DDT.

David Schultz, Hector Guerrero, & Terry Taylor defeated The Vachons (Mad Dog & Butcher) & Chris Markoff in 22:25 when Guerrero pinned Markoff with a springboard clothesline.

Ric Flair & The Tonga Kid defeated The Iron Sheik & Scott Casey in 16:23 when Flair pinned Casey with an inside cradle out of a bodyslam attempt.

MAIN EVENT - NON-TITLE BADSTREET MATCH

The Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes & Gordy) defeated NWA World Tag Team Champions The Russians (Volkoff & Kruschev) in 18:32 when Terry Gordy gave Kruschev a powerbomb on the arena floor.

23msj8o.jpg

Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling begins from Columbia, South Carolina with Bob Caudle and David Crockett running down the day's card, with the two feature matches of Michael Hayes vs. The Iron Sheik and Krusher Kruschev vs. The Tonga Kid discussed. They reveal that Hector Guerrero & Terry Taylor will be in action and also appear on Rogers Corner, and that Ric Flair will compete and give his further thoughts on Buddy Rogers & Harley Race's gauntlet.

MATCH #1

The Vachons vs. Joe Lightfoot & Billy Two Eagles

(Both Vachons stayed in control for the majority of the match, beating on poor Joe Lightfoot seemingly without breaking a sweat. Mad Dog sent him into the ropes and met him on the way back with a headbutt to Lightfoot’s torso, knocking him clear through the ropes to the arena floor. Butcher picked him up into the Hangman’s Hold, until the referee made him break it under thread of a disqualification.

Back in, Butcher continued the clubbering with a number of slams and throws. Finally at about seven minutes in Lightfoot was able to duck under a Butcher lariat and stumble into his corner to tag Two Eagles. Butcher turned around and Eagles came off the top with a tomahawk chop to his head. Butcher fell backwards like a fallen redwood and as Eagles made the cover, Mad Dog tried to run in only to trip over the recovering Lightfoot as the Native American duo picked up a huge upset victory in 7:31.)

The Vachons throw a tantrum in the ring as the Native American duo celebrate to the back.

After the break, Caudle & Crockett are joined by all four Russians (Volkoff, Markoff, Kruschev, & Ivan Koloff) as Kruschev orders everyone in the arena to stand for the Soviet National Anthem sung by Comrade Volkoff. No one does. Then they complain about the Freebirds sticking their noses where they don't belong. Koloff focuses on Gordy and the TV belt and says that while Buddy Rogers suffered a torn shoulder last time he was in the same ring as the Freebirds, this time Gordy may end up with a broken neck. Kruschev follows that up by saying that in Greensboro in two weeks, Buddy Roberts will be lucky to get out of their match still able to wrestle. Volkoff and Markoff complain about the Freebirds still aiming for the tag belts when Hector Guerrero & Terry Taylor are the number one contenders. The four end their interview by pumping up Kruschev for his match with the Tonga Kid, coming up next.

MATCH #2

Krusher Kruschev vs. The Tonga Kid

(A very even match up for the majority of the contest with Tonga Kid having the edge in speed, but Kruschev able to ground him for extended periods with an armbar and later, a half crab. Kid was able to duck under a Kruschev Sickle attempt and use Kruschev's momentum to send him through the ropes to the outside. Kid climbs to the top to attempt a flying crossbody to the floor only to pause when "Cowboy" Scott Casey appears at ringside yelling insults. This distraction allowed Kruschev to slide into the ring and nail Kid with a double axe-handle to the back, causing Kid to fall to the concrete and get counted out at 14:22)

As Kruschev headed to the back with hands held high above his head in victory, Casey went over to the Kid and nailed a solid kick to his rib area before officials sent him to the back.

We return from break with Bob Bradley & Ben Alexander in the ring for our next match.

MATCH #3

Hector Guerrero & Terry Taylor vs. Bob Bradley & Ben Alexander

(A quick squash with Guerrero & Taylor showcasing their teamwork with a double dropkick and double flapjack with Taylor picking up the win in 3:15 with a flying forearm.)

The victors head straight to the Rogers Corner set post-match to begin their interview with "Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers. Rogers starts off by offering praise for their talent and shares that he loves seeing such a young duo look so impressive. He pays a specific compliment to Taylor and his mat skills saying that perhaps Taylor could be a NWA World Heavyweight Champion someday with proper guidance. Before Taylor can respond, Guerrero jumps in and says that although he likes to fly around a bit more, his technical skills are just as good as Taylor's and that's one of the reasons they work so well together; they are both so well-rounded.

Rogers ignores Guerrero's defense and again praises Taylor, this time for the flying forearm move that just won the previous match. Again, Guerrero cuts Taylor's response off and says that while the forearm is an essential part of their offensive strategy, his springboard clothesline is just as impressive, if not a bit more. Rogers points out that it's surprising that the two are doing so well considering how opposite their personalities are with Taylor being more subdued and Guerrero having the typical "Mexican temper". With that Guerrero gets upset and gets in Rogers' face only for Taylor to hold him back. Taking the mic, Taylor thanks Rogers for his compliments, but says he knows he trying to drive a wedge between the partners since each week he proves more and more that he's a bitter old man. The segment ends with Guerrero & Taylor while Taylor tries to calm Guerrero down.

We return from the break with Tony Schiavone in the ring as he announces a few matches that are officially taking place in Greensboro, North Carolina in two weeks on September 24th:

Ric Flair vs. Greg Valentine

NWA US Title - David Schultz vs. The Iron Sheik

NWA TV Title - Terry Gordy vs. Ivan Koloff

NWA World Tag Team Titles - Volkoff/Markoff vs. Guerrero/Taylor

Buddy Roberts vs. Krusher Kruschev

and just signed, a rematch between The Vachons and Lightfoot/Eagles

Schiavone makes a brief mention that negotiations are in place for NWA World Heavyweight Champion Harley Race to compete on the card, but with him refusing to wrestle Ric Flair, the search is on for a suitable opponent.

With that Terry Gordy hits the ring, TV Title on his shoulder. Grabbing the mic from Schiavone, he yells that even though he knows he's got Koloff in the ring in two weeks, he doesn't want to wait, challenging "The Russian Bear" to come out right now so he can pay him back for the attack back in July. Koloff heads out wearing a red warmup sweatshirt and headband and cautiously enters the ring, ordering Schiavone to keep Gordy back to the crowd's amusement. Koloff gets on a second mic and says that he will not fall for the "American's" tricks to throw off his preparation for September 24th and that he will not wrestle today.

Gordy yells back that Koloff's vodka is making him "yellow" and that he'd be happy to buy him a bottle of good ol' American Jack Daniels so he can feel for at least a fleeting moment what it's like to be a red blooded American male. With that Koloff gets enraged and accepts a match right here right now. Gordy is ecstatic and hands his belt to Schiavone as both men start to strip off their shirts to get ready. However, while Gordy turns away to hand his shirt to the ringside attendant, Koloff grabs the TV belt from Schiavone and waylays Gordy with his own belt from behind. Gordy stumbles into the ropes and turns around dazed, but ready to fight, only to be hit by a full-force Russian Sickle by Koloff, knocking over the top rope down to the floor. Koloff heads out after and whips Gordy with the belt until Michael Hayes, Buddy Roberts, and Brad Rheingans run down and chase him off as we head to a break.

Back from break Gordy has been helped to the back, but David Crockett reveals Koloff and the Russians have been kicked out of the building per orders of Jim Crockett.

MATCH #4

Brad Rheingans vs. Rick Patterson

(Rheingans is fired up and takes his anti-Russian anger on newcomer Rick Patterson throwing him across the ring with a belly-to-belly to start things off. Rheingans rides Patterson around on the mat for a minute before displaying various suplexes with Patterson as the unfortunate receiver. Patterson makes an obligatory comeback for a few seconds, but Rheingans is never in any real danger of losing this match. Finally he puts Patterson away with a bridging cradle suplex at 5:43)

After the match, Caudle & Crockett are joined by Ric Flair who runs down what happened last week on Rogers Corner with Buddy Rogers revealing "The Gauntlet". Flair is almost amused by Rogers and Race's plan and he repeats his vow to destroy anyone the champ sends to delay his second NWA World Heavyweight Championship. Buddy Rogers comes out at the end of Flair's usual spiel and reveals that Greg Valentine will be in the building next week, having signed a match to take on Buddy Roberts. At that Flair flips into lunatic mode and starts yelling about how dare Valentine come back to Mid-Atlantic after running off to Canada a couple months ago. Flair makes reference to his former friendship with Valentine and closes by saying that on September 24th in Greensboro, he hopes Harley Race will be paying attention because he won't be satisfied until Valentine leaves the Carolinas with a broken leg.

MATCH #5

Ric Flair vs. Tony Zane

(Fired up, Flair lays into poor Tony Zane leveling him with chop upon chop in the corner, and after Zane rolls outside for a breather, following him and throwing him over the ringside barrier into the first row. Back in the ring, Flair chopblocks Zane's knee and works him over with kicks and punches, culminating with a Figure-Four leg lock which gets the submission win at 4:34.)

Buddy Rogers stayed at ringside throughout the match and Flair directs his "Whooooo"s at him before the final commercial break.

Back from break, Caudle and Crockett recap the major happenings so far and reveal weekend main events of David Schultz & Michael Hayes vs. The Iron Sheik & Scott Casey in Huntington, West Virginia that night and a non-title Badstreet Match between Volkoff & Kruschev against Hayes & Gordy the next night in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Caudle reminds fans that next week will see Greg Valentine's return to action in MACW against Buddy Roberts and a tag title defense of two of the Russians against Brad Rheingans and a partner of his choice.

MATCH #6

Michael Hayes vs. The Iron Sheik

(David Schultz joins Crockett & Caudle on commentary for the match and doesn't hold back anything with some very entertaining Southern-flavored words about the Sheik throughout. Hayes tries to hit the ground running with a flurry of punches to keep Sheik off-balance, but eventually is overwhelmed by Sheik's superior wrestling skills. Sheik wears Hayes down with a short-arm clothesline and hits a gut buster for a close two-count as Schultz's drops in some angry comments. Sheik continued to dominate, putting Hayes in abdominal stretch while jawing with Schultz at ringside.

Sheik made the mistake of being caught by the ref putting extra pressure on the hold using the ropes and was surprised by a Hayes hip toss as he escaped the move. Fighting back, Hayes hit Sheik with a couple of body slams only to be cut off with a kick to the gut and hit with a gutwrench suplex. However as Sheik sent Hayes into the ropes for a backdrop, he was surprised by a quick Hayes DDT sending Schultz into a impromptu celebration at the desk, almost bowling over David Crockett with his enthusiasm. However Sheik's ring experience allowed him to quickly roll out of the ring before Hayes could make the cover.

Both men were down for almost a ten count, but as Hayes recovered in the ring catching the ref's attention and breaking the count, Sheik got up and took offense to Schultz's comments, pie-facing him back into the set. Heading into the ring Sheik hit Hayes with a dropkick and picked him up with two hands to Hayes' throat setting him up for the dreaded Iranian Drop. Schultz, recovered by this point, hopped up on the apron and began screaming at the ref that Sheik had put his hands on him and that nobody was gonna stop him from getting his. The Sheik kept Hayes up in the air for an extended period of time, laughing about his superior power compared to both Hayes and Schultz, but this delay in hitting his finisher allowed Hayes to flip up and over Sheik sending him down into a sunset flip for the surprise pin in 15:13.)

The show heads off the air with Schultz lifting up Hayes in victory and Sheik yelling about "American" cheating.

Thanks!

The move to this style will make it much easier for me to keep posting regularly now that I'm back teaching. I'll post a run of house show results sometime this weekend as well. Also will do a run of reading Mid-South, Montreal, and whatever else is updated.

This style also allows me to have the wrestlers say and do things it would have been harder to describe as actual dialogue so I can see this being more fun. A bit of a relief after not being able to find the motivation to start the writing process earlier this week.

Saturday September 10th 1983

MACW Live from the Huntington Civic Center in Huntington, West Virginia

Joe Lightfoot & Billy Two Eagles defeated Tony Zane & Tiger Williams in 5:02 when Eagles pinned Estes following a top rope chop to the head.

Buddy Roberts defeated Butcher Vachon in 7:30 with the DDT.

Krusher Kruschev defeated Brad Rheingans in 11:04 with the Russian Sickle.

Tonga Kid defeated Chris Markoff in 12:53 with a flying crossbody press.

Nikolai Volkoff defeated Terry Taylor in 14:50 with a Russian Sickle to the back of Taylor's head.

Hector Guerrero defeated Mad Dog Vachon by DQ in 20:50 when Vachon threw him over the top rope.

MAIN EVENT

NWA United States Champion David Schultz & Michael Hayes defeated The Iron Sheik & Scott Casey in 30:14 when Schultz pinned Casey with a piledriver.

Sunday September 11th 1983

MACW Live from the Cumberland County Civic Center in Fayetteville, North Carolina

The Tonga Kid defeated Scott Casey in 11:10 by reversing a small package.

Mad Dog Vachon defeated Brad Rheingans in 13:04 with a powerslam.

Terry Taylor defeated Chris Markoff in 10:02 with a flying forearm.

Butcher Vachon defeated Hector Guerrero in 12:53 when Guerrero passed out in the Hangman's Hold.

NWAUS-1.png

"Dr. D" Dave Schultz © defeated The Iron Sheik by DQ in 15:34 when Sheik nailed Schultz with his Persian Club.

MAIN EVENT - NON-TITLE BADSTREET MATCH

Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts defeated NWA World Tag Team Champions Nikolai Volkoff & Krusher Kruschev in 21:54 when Hayes pinned Volkoff after a Double DDT.

Monday September 12th 1983

MACW Live from the County Hall in Charleston, South Carolina

Joe Lightfoot defeated Doug Vines in 4:23 with a Samoan Drop.

Brad Rheingans defeated Butcher Vachon in 8:55 with a bridging cradle suplex.

Krusher Kruschev defeated Billy Two Eagles in 9:23 with the Russian Sickle.

Terry Taylor defeated Chris Markoff in 6:25 with a flying forearm.

The Tonga Kid defeated Scott Casey in 14:01 after reversing a small package.

Hector Guerrero defeated Mad Dog Vachon by DQ in 11:01 when Vachon bit him after being previously warned by the referee.

NWAUS-1.png

"Dr. D" Dave Schultz © defeated Nikolai Volkoff in 22:00 with a flying corkscrew elbow.

MAIN EVENT

Michael Hayes defeated The Iron Sheik in 18:41 with the DDT.

Tuesday September 13th 1983

MACW Live from Memorial Auditorium in Greenville, South Carolina

Joe Lightfoot & Billy Two Eagles defeated Doug Vines & Rick Patterson in 12:24 when Eagles pinned Vines after a top rope chop to the head.

Krusher Kruschev defeated Brad Rheingans in 10:23 with a Russian Sickle.

Scott Casey defeated The Tonga Kid in 14:02 after a bulldog. Casey sent Kid over the top behind the referee's back right before the finish.

Hector Guerrero & Terry Taylor defeated Mad Dog & Butcher Vachon in 10:45 when Guerrero pinned Butcher after a double dropkick from the top rope.

NWAWTag.png

NWA WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

The Russians © (Volkoff & Markoff) defeated The Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes & Roberts) in 21:01 when Volkoff pinned Roberts after Krusher Kruschev ran down and hit Roberts with a chair leading to Lenin's Tomb by Volkoff & Markoff.

NWAUS-1.png

MAIN EVENT - NWA UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP

"Dr. D" Dave Schultz © and The Iron Sheik went to a time-limit draw in 30:00.

Thursday September 15th 1983

MACW Television Taping from the Civic Center in Greenwood, South Carolina

The Hammer Is Back - Former NWA U.S. Champion Greg Valentine has his first match in Crockett Territory since losing his title as he steps into the ring against Freebird Buddy Roberts.

Tag Titles On The Line - The Russians put their belts on the line as they take on Brad Rheingans and a partner of his choosing. Who will represent the Russians? Who will be Rheingans' partner?

Plus...

Michael Hayes takes on Butcher Vachon

Billy Two Eagles looks for revenge against undefeated on television, "Cowboy" Scott Casey

NWA TV Champion Terry Gordy in action!

#1 Tag Contenders Hector Guerrero & Terry Taylor in action!

Don't miss...

David Schultz makes his first appearance on Rogers' Corner.

To be aired on Saturday, September 17th.

Friday September 16th 1983

MACW Live from the Civic Center in Roanoke, Virginia

Terry Taylor defeated Rick Patterson in 6:54 with a flying forearm.

Joe Lightfoot/Billy Two Eagles defeated Tony Zane/Tiger Williams in 6:10 when Eagles pinned Williams with a top rope chop to the head.

Butcher Vachon defeated Brad Rheingans in 9:34 with a full nelson slam.

Hector Guerrero defeated Mad Dog Vachon by DQ in 12:44 when Vachon bit Guerrero after previous warnings from the referee.

NWAWTag.png

NWA WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

The Russians © (Volkoff & Kruschev) defeated The Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes & Gordy) in 18:33 when Kruschev pinned Hayes after Chris Markoff ran down and hit Hayes with a chair leading to Lenin's Tomb by Volkoff & Kruschev.

23msj8o.jpg

Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling begins from Greenwood, South Carolina with Bob Caudle and David Crockett running down the day's card, with the two feature matches of Greg Valentine vs. Buddy Roberts and NWA Tag Team Champions The Russians vs. Brad Rheingans and a partner of his choosing discussed. They reveal that David Schultz will appear on Rogers Corner, Michael Hayes will face Butcher Vachon and that Scott Casey and Terry Gordy will be in action.

MATCH #1

NWATV.png

NWA World Television Title - Terry Gordy vs. Steve Estes

(An absolute mauling as Gordy makes his return to TV action by throwing Estes back and forth around the ring. The unfortunate Estes is in the wrong place at the wrong time as Gordy nails him with a tornado lariat, a big back suplex, and a powerbomb, but doesn't go for the win. Gordy flashes a smile to the TV cameras and drags Estes over to the corner, climbs up while keeping ahold of Estes hair, and then falls forward landing with his knee on Estes head as they hit hit the ground finishing the match at 56 seconds.)

Gordy stays at ringside as Caudle & Crockett point out that he just used Ivan Koloff's finishing move and that the two will be locking up in Greensboro next Saturday night.

"Badstreet USA" plays and Michael Hayes and Buddy Roberts head down to the ring, with Roberts and Gordy staying at ringside for Hayes' battle.

MATCH #2

Michael Hayes vs. Butcher Vachon

(Hayes starts off with a flurry of punches, but Butcher's superior size and strength proves hard to subdue. Butcher takes some punishment but reminiscent of Gordy, is able to throw Hayes off anytime Hayes gets close with strikes. In an act of early desperation Hayes kicks Butcher low and bounces off the ropes to fly towards Butcher with a leaping clothesline, but Butcher is able to stumble out of the way causing Hayes to hit his own neck on the top rope leaving him gasping for breath.

​Butcher takes advantage of Hayes' error by locking in a full-nelson to wear down his neck and every fifteen seconds he lets go to hit Hayes with a hammer blow to the back of the neck before reapplying the hold. Finally Hayes is able to get a second wind and is somehow able to run towards the nearest turnbuckle and duck causing Butcher to bump his head and release the hold. Hayes plays off the crowd noise and nails Butcher with three big hands before kicking him low one more time and nailing the DDT in 8:04 for the win.)

After the break, Caudle & Crockett are joined by all three Freebirds to discuss the last two matches and Buddy Roberts big main event against the returning Greg Valentine. Hayes starts by declaring that although the Russians' tag titles are being defended against other teams today and in Greensboro, the Freebirds' end goal is to add to their title collection which already includes the TV belt. Gordy throws in some words for Ivan Koloff saying there's nothing he hates more than a "damn Commie Red" and that when he nails Koloff with his big ol' Powerbomb, he'll be doing it for every rednecked country boy in America "and Ronnie Reagan too". Buddy Roberts gives quick thoughts on his match with "The Hammer" today, but says he knows that Valentine is Flair's business and that he'll do his best to give him a good beating before Greensboro. He repeats that he's gunning for Krusher Kruschev and that he won't rest until he's given him an "eye for an eye" in exchange for the shoulder damage Kruschev left on him in July. Hayes closes things off by challenging all four Russians for a match next Saturday on TV before that night's big card. But then that reminds him that he's still without a dance partner so he says he'll throw a "Hail Mary" and challenge NWA World Heavyweight Champion to give him a title shot since "I'm not Ric Flair".

We return from break with Tony Zane and Tiger Williams in the ring for our next match.

MATCH #3

Hector Guerrero & Terry Taylor vs. Tony Zane & Tiger Williams

(A quick squash with Guerrero & Taylor showcasing their teamwork with a double dropkick and double flapjack with Taylor picking up the win in 3:20 with a flying forearm.)

Following the match, the camera heads straight to the Rogers Corner set as "Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers welcomes his guest, NWA United States Champion, "Dr. D" David Schultz. Schultz enters the set shirtless, in jeans, and carrying a can of beer which he takes a big swig out of before admitting to Rogers that he has no idea why he's been asked to appear on his "rinky dink show" and that the only reason he's even shown up is because he didn't have a match for today and figured he might as well at least make a payday.

Rogers tries to laugh off Schultz's comments, but it's obvious that he's enraged at his disrespect as he moves on with his questions dealing with Schultz's feud with the Iron Sheik. Schultz shows nothing, but disdain for the Sheik's past accomplishments and says that he doesn't even care that the Sheik is so anti-American, but that he made an enemy for life when he attacked him at his favorite bar and spilled his beer. The only reason he's going to make sure that the Sheik doesn't get ahold of his belt and create the NWA Iranian Title is that as U.S. champion he's making some decent money and he aims to keep it that way. Turning serious for a second, Schultz reveals to Rogers that he's well aware of Harley Race's battles with Flair and that he's not adverse to making the move up to the top belt if Race somehow gets through Flair and Hayes intact, causing Rogers to end the interview.

We return from the break with Brad Rheingans announcing his partner for tonight's Tag Title match as The Tonga Kid followed by the revelation that the champions will be represented by Nikolai Volkoff and Krusher Kruschev.

MATCH #4

NWAWTag.png

NWA World Tag Team Title - The Russians (Volkoff & Kruschev) vs. Brad Rheingans & The Tonga Kid

(Very impressive match for both teams as Rheingans was able to take down either Russian down with ease while Tonga used his speed to make Volkoff & Kruschev look even clumsier than usual. At the same time both Russians looked dominant with power moves and a surprising crispness to their actions. Kruschev especially looked improved and he and Rheingans had a few minutes of amateur style maneuvering towards the first half of the match. The end came with Tonga Kid making the hot tag and Rheingans coming in with throws to the champions, but as he went for a second belly-to-belly to Kruschev, Kruschev was able to delay the move by holding Rheingans still long enough for Volkoff to come running in with a modified Lenin's Tomb. Kruschev held Tonga off and Volkoff picked up the clean win at 11:15.)

After the match, Caudle & Crockett are joined by "Cowboy" Scott Casey who mocks both the Tonga Kid and Brad Rheingans for their loss. Casey says he knows Tonga Kid wants a rematch and "revenge", but he'll just have to wait his turn for another chance since he's got a busy schedule. He won't even have a chance to compete in Greensboro next week because promoters from all across the world are banging down his door trying to get a "real man" to compete against their biggest stars. Casey reminds everyone that he has yet to be defeated on television and Crockett tries to jump in and remind him that he's lost to Ric Flair a number of times on house shows, Casey quickly cuts him off and emphasizes "on television, against the biggest names in wrestling.". Casey claims that as a "real man" he has no plans to ever lose and that he's already beaten a bunch of "injuns and islanders and so many other jokers" that he's gone all the way back to having to beat up Billy Two Eagles again, which he will do now.

MATCH #5

Scott Casey vs. Billy Two Eagles

(Eagles tries to outpace Casey and is able to make him look foolish a few times moving out of the way of punches and kicks, but eventually Casey's brawling is able to keep Eagles in check. Not a total squash, but Casey shows no signs of losing, especially since he's not afraid of cheating behind the ref's back with eye rakes, low blows, and even throwing Eagles over the top. He finished it at 7:10 with the bulldog for the win.)

Back from break, Caudle and Crockett recap the major happenings so far and reveal weekend main events of two title matches (Schultz vs. Kruschev and Gordy vs. Volkoff in a Badstreet match) in Charleston, West Virginia that night and three (Schultz vs. Sheik, Russians vs. Guerrero/Taylor, and Gordy vs. Casey) the next night in Raleigh, North Carolina. Caudle reminds fans that next week will see both Ivan Koloff and Greg Valentine in further action in preparation for the Greensboro show that night. Mad Dog Vachon has also challenged Joe Lightfoot to a rematch to prove their upset tag win was a fluke.

Before the main event, Buddy Rogers and Greg Valentine come out with Valentine making his return to the Mid-Atlantic TV. Rogers builds him up as a former US Champion and when Caudle mentions that he held the Tag Titles with Ric Flair, Valentine butts in to badmouth his former partner by saying he carried the "imposter Nature Boy" for so long, his back is still sore. Rogers puts over that his father Johnny Valentine was one of the greatest wrestlers he's ever seen and that "The Hammer" has more than lived up to his reputation, but that like his father, he marches to the beat of his own drum and has never received the preferential treatment from promoters Flair has. He reveals that Race has offered Valentine a title shot if he's able to take Flair out next Saturday night. At that Flair comes out, pushes Crockett's mic out of the way and punches Valentine right in the face. The two begin to brawl, but are quickly broken up with Flair being escorted from the building.

MATCH #6

Greg Valentine vs. Buddy Roberts

(Buddy Rogers and the Freebirds accompany their respective allies at ringside and Crockett reveals Flair was to do commentary for Valentine's return match before being kicked out to save the main event. This is a quality main event match with Valentine proving why he is considered one of the best of North America with Caudle & Crockett putting over the high class of competition he's been facing recently in Toronto like Rick Martel and Wahoo McDaniel. Valentine as always started slow and methodical, working on Roberts' leg with kicks and elbow drops as well as a big elbow to the fallen Roberts' midsection.

​To his credit Roberts was able to persevere through Valentine's initial attack plan and come back with punches and chops of his own as the two blondes rolled around the ring with as much brawling as pure technique. Throughout the match Hayes jawed with Rogers at ringside and at one point when Rogers attempted a sly trip of Roberts, Terry Gordy stalked him around ringside, sending both me to the back. At the end, Valentine was able to use his stamina to wear Roberts down enough to hit a back suplex followed by a piledriver before finishing him off with the Figure-Four Leglock for the submission win at 14:13.)

After the bell, he refused to immediately break the hold as Caudle noted that this could be a preview of his match with Flair in Greensboro. Enraged, Hayes entered the ring and stomped on Valentine's midsection, breaking the hold and causing Valentine to get up and shove Hayes back. Hayes retaliated with a couple of lefts with both men going at it as the show went off the air.