Pro Wrestling Only

Jerry Lawler vs Terry Funk: The Last Stand

cheapshot

Jerry Lawler vs Terry Funk: The Last Stand

I thought this was a well paced match from start to finish. Funk took a bump to the floor that no 71 year old man with shot knees has business taking. A nice brawl around ringside and in to the crowd followed. The finish, whilst not perfect let everyone go home happy. ***1/2

This is an easy watch. I enjoyed them locking up before getting into their bread and butter: throwing punches at each other. Funk is up pretty fast after his bump also. As far as matches with 71 year-olds go, this is damn good. Funk acts crazy, often going after Jerry Calhoun while they get the different plunder ready. He even takes that large plastic trash can off his head (!). I popped for the ending. Good stuff.

I popped for the ending.

You mean the part where 71 years old Funk actually gets burned by a legit fireball ?

Sorry if I sound like an asshole, but I find this rather sad actually (not just the ending, the entire thing). And if we're calling this a "good pro-wrestling match" by today's standarts, then yes, I admit it, pro-wrestling has passed me by.

I popped for the ending.

You mean the part where 71 years old Funk actually gets burned by a legit fireball ?

Sorry if I sound like an asshole, but I find this rather sad actually (not just the ending, the entire thing). And if we're calling this a "good pro-wrestling match" by today's standarts, then yes, I admit it, pro-wrestling has passed me by.

I don't really see it as sad. It's not like either guy is hurting for money. Not everyone wants to get old and go fishing and watch the news. They love this stuff, they're still good at it in my eyes, it's fun, they get paid well. Doesn't keeping your mind stimulated help with avoiding Alzheimer's?

Now, if we're talking about two old physically broken down guys who are only putting themselves through the punishment because they need it to pay that month's apartment rent, that's a little different. But Lawler is my role model for getting old and staying busy and active (professionally we're talking, not necessarily the personal stuff).

I was refraining from spoiling anything, but yes, the fireball spot. Did he get legit hurt by it? The spot was unique enough that it was a good trick for two old guys to work in.

I thought it was a good pro-wrestling match given the guys involved are 71 and 65 years old.

I believe Meltz reported that Funk was hurt by the fireball, yes.

I would agree about the match being as good as it can be when the average age in the ring is 68. But that's the problem to me. I don't want to see a pro-wrestling match involving two guys that old. I don't care how "good" their psychology is. At some point, I have to draw the line between what's fun to watch and what's not fun to watch. And two guys passed 65 having a pro-wrestling match just isn't any fun to watch, period.

If you showed me that when I was 15, or even 25, not-yet-prowrestling-fan me and told me that those two are masters and this is very good as far as pro-wrestling goes, I would have thought it was stupid, crass and not interesting in the least.

I love Terry, and I like Lawler, and yes, this was as good as you can expect it to be. But to me, and even if Funk hadn't been hurt, this is clearly on the "pretty sad" side of things, aesthetically speaking. (of course when it's guys who do need the money, then it's really fucking sad, but I was not refering to that, and I sure hope Terry doesn't *need* to do this)

I'll check this out later.

This was from the Lance Russell Appreciation Show, right? Saw it was happening and some pictures on facebook but glad someone taped it.

The last time I followed the Independents, back when Funk was apparently the biggest Indie draw, Funk vs Lawler was my favourite Indie feud in 2003-04 and their 2003 matches where they took their show on the road to various promotions were some of the best worked I saw that year (when I was watching a lot more promotions than now). Helped that I was also watching old Memphis at the time (their '81 No DQ is still my favourite Lawler match) but there was something impressive to me about the two Old Masters, older, slower and less mobile havingchemistry they still have all that time later. A lot of matches like that are pure nostalgia but in the case of these two they still made me feel the hatred.

I don't remember any of the 2004 matches being taped (other than highlights of the Macklin tag they showed on TWC) but it did lead to some great promos (particularly from Terry) that made me want to see them fight more than anyone else at the time.

Admittedly that was a while ago but there's something cool to me about the fact Jerry Lawler and Terry Funk are still having fun brawling (and getting praised for doing it well) in 2015.

I was refraining from spoiling anything, but yes, the fireball spot. Did he get legit hurt by it? The spot was unique enough that it was a good trick for two old guys to work in.

I thought it was a good pro-wrestling match given the guys involved are 71 and 65 years old.

I believe Meltz reported that Funk was hurt by the fireball, yes.

I would agree about the match being as good as it can be when the average age in the ring is 68. But that's the problem to me. I don't want to see a pro-wrestling match involving two guys that old.

Then you could have easily not watched it. Not sure what is the point of you coming in here and shitting on the match and spoiling the surprise spot in it. Unless you're desperate to get your belt back from Parv.

I had heard about it and the injury, and I was curious to see what was so "good" about the match. And I don't feel like I have to justify myself of why I watch a pro-wrestling match and talk about it on Pro-Wrestling Only if I want to. So there.

As far as "spoiling the surprise", really ? Meltz already talked about it, it's on Youtube where you can get spoiled by reading the comments and the video was posted two days ago already.

(plus the surprise is Terry Funk getting injured because Lawler threw a fireball straight into his eyes, so yeah, so much goodness there. Jeez, it's not like I spoiled the end of the Streak….)

(oh, and "shiting on the match", really ?

"I would agree about the match being as good as it can be when the average age in the ring is 68." "I love Terry, and I like Lawler, and yes, this was as good as you can expect it to be."

well…)

Seemed more like an excuse for another "El-P's moral compass post" where you let us know how you're against old dudes willingly wrestling each other because it's something they find fun and enjoyable along with your other examples of letting us know you won't watch matches with Invader or Ken Wayne.

If you are uneasy about talking about some issues, that's your own little problem. I have none and I don't pass judgement on anyone about this particular match I might add. Sean and other people explained why they didn't see it as sad and enjoyed it, and everything was going pretty well and respectfully until you showed up bitching.

So stop trolling me. It's not like I care one bit.