Pro Wrestling Only

[2015-12-16-WWE-NXT Takeover: London] Emma vs Asuka

donsem43

I really like how they laid out this match to how they booked this feud. They found the right tone for Emma's character as she realized how dangerous Asuka is but still thought she could beat her by outsmarting her. Also really liked Emma's in-ring performance, she worked really smart and laid in a lot of her shots while not being afraid of taking anything from Asuka. It was cool to see Asuka dust off some of her old strike combos. The most noticeable difference between Asuka here and her work in Japan is how much she plays to the crowd. She rarely worked in front of big crowds in Japan so it's nice to see her adjust and work "bigger" here. The finish was smart even if there was a few minor issues with the execution of it. ****

• 1 year later...

This definitely went up on a re-watch - really great match which made both women look fantastic. Loved the early shine by Asuka, she was just kicking Emma's ass all over the place & it was great. Then it was time for Emma to work the heat on Asuka, and they transitioned into that very well w/ Dana talking smack to Asuka outside which distracted her for a second. Emma was GREAT working on top, truly loved how violent she came off looking - her offense looked amazing. Asuka's comeback was also great, and so was Emma cutting that comeback off. The finishing stretch was really damn good to finish off a great match w/ the ref bump and all. ****

from my blog (published 12/28/15)...

You probably won't find it on many people's Year End lists, but I enjoyed the hell out of tonight's opener - Asuka vs. Emma. Unlike what we've been getting on the main roster over the past few months, here was a women's wrestling match with a clearly defined hero taking on a clearly defined heel with the fans firmly behind the side of good. Asuka's offense was every bit as sharp and devastating as one would expect (her backhand combo is a thing of beauty), but, as someone wholly unfamiliar with Emma's ballyhooed work in NXT in 2013-2014, I was equally impressed by what she did here, cutting off Asuka at the right time, using crafty dirty tactics to try to get her opponent disqualified, controlling the "heat" part of the match with her offense but not doing anything so flashy that it ever got its own pop. This is how a heel should work. Very strong and well-executed match with great twists in the closing minutes. (4/5)

• 6 months later...

Asuka vs Emma - NXT Takeover December 2015

Asuka's best match to at least Bayley match. Great setup here as Emma & Dana try to cost Asuka a match to jabroni but doing the entrance interruption instead Asuka kicks the jobber's head off and KNOCKS HER THE FUCK OUT! So of course right at the outset, Asuka swings a wild roundhouse kick and Emma is all scared. Very well played. Again as I stated previously, Asuka is great at using chain wrestling to build to strikes and the excitement of the match. I love how the flying hammerlock into the armbar puts her opponent in the ropes and then she blitzes her with kicks. It is a great way to use wrestling to set up strikes. It is the beauty of Asuka well that and that incredible smile!

Emma is pretty highly touted from this NXT run, but I didn't see it. I thought she delivered a very pedestrian heat segment and overall did not do anything seemed special. Give me Dana Brooke any day of the week that girl has charisma. The real charm of this match is the finish stretch. They do a big run up of Asuka's big spots, but adding the missile dropkick as the counter. A nice new addition to Asuka's deep arsenal. I thought they did a great job moving the match back and forth between the two without being my turn, your turn. Asuka built momentum with the spinning backfists, but when she gets into the corner Emma is able to put on the Tarantula. This sets up Emma for a butterfly suplex into the corner and then Emmaite Sandwich to set up Emmalock. I like finish stretches that build to false climaxes of each person's finish. Emmalock is attempted but not completed and Asuka grabs the anklelock and any Asuka fans knows what is next...GERMAN SUPLEX! Now Asuka goes for her Crossface Chickenwing, but is backed into the ref. REF BUMP! YES! I have missed those.

They kick the drama into overdrive. Dana Brooke tosses her belt into the ring. The ref thinks Asuka used it. The crowd erupts screaming no. Emma goes for roll up, but AsukaLock, Dana on the apron, ref misses tap out. Asuka KICKS EMMA'S HEAD OFF for the win!

Loved all the false finishes down the stretch. Emma is fine, but don't get the praise. Asuka is amazing and this match where she was able to get visual tap out from the Crossface Chickenwing and the KO shot made her look badass. ***3/4

Gotta love how hot these two got the crowd in London to open the show. This match took an incredibly simple heel/face dynamic template and worked it to absolute perfection. Every single fan in the crowd was on their feet by the time the finishing stretch was coming around and they created a whole lot of tension around the various heel tactics that both Emma and Dana Brooke were throwing Asuka's way. The crowd got incredibly hot over the ref bump, the belt being tossed in, and Dana distracting good ole Drake. Great stuff here.

• GSR changed the title to [2015-12-16-WWE-NXT Takeover: London] Emma vs Asuka