Pro Wrestling Only

Mil Mascaras

Dylan Waco

His best matches are against The Destroyer in the early 70s. Also not a bad bout against Jumbo in 1977. And not bad runs in RWTL circa 77-9.

Couple of reviews I did dug up via search:

Mil Mascaras and Dos Caras vs. Dory Funk Jr and Terry Funk (12/7/79)

This is from the Real World Tag League of 1979, All Japan. Sky High hits but the crowd doesn't seem to care too much. They seem to pop bigger for the Funks. I wonder if that makes the Caras brothers de facto heels here? Doubt it.

This was quite a long match, about 25 minutes. I don't know if Mascaras and Caras make the best foils for the Funks, it's a strange mixture of styles. Again this is worked very clean but much less stop-start than the singles match. The action really picks up in the last ten minutes when they start exchanging bombs, but I don't like all this even-stevens parity stuff. I prefer tag matches especially to have some control segments, and neither side was prepared to stay down for long in this one. Never the less, some great counter wrestling and big high spots. Good without being great.

***3/4

Harley Race vs. Mil Mascaras (9/12/80)

PWI dream match, NWA Champion against Mascars in Japan? Forget about it, Bill Apter just came. Mil is in an elaborate leopard-skin mask and cape. This is All Japan. Odds of Harley doing 99% of the selling: 99%. Odds of Mil eating a pin: 0%.

Some surprising things about this match:

- Harley hits at least 10 moves of offense, incuding three vertical suplexes (one outside ring), a piledriver and a back suplex and Mil actually sold them

- Mascaras does a crossbody from the top to the outside

- Things break out into a brawl, including Mascaras burying a chair on Harley's head

- Harley juices

- A table finds its way to the ring and is propped up on the ropes

- It doesn't suck

Less surprising:

Double CO finish. About as good as any Mascaras match I've ever seen. He worked hard and for once didn't bore me to tears.

***1/2

Worth watching:

Mil Mascaras vs. Genichiro Tenryu (2/4/82)

I liked that Tenryu match a fair bit, FWIW. Part of that might've been down to being a huge Tenryu mark and getting to see him work the way he did in that match, but I don't remember having any complaints about Mil during it, either.

Other than that, I literally couldn't tell you the last time I watched a Mil Mascaras match. Probably close to a decade. He's honestly not someone I've sought out during this project because my memory of him was that he wasn't a guy I'd consider for the ballot.

• 7 years later...