Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling thoughts that probably don't deserve

Coffey

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't mind his size as much if big men didn't have to sell for him like he was Superman. His build doesn't go with his act or style at all.

What he said. I hate how people act like it's some hypocritical statement on steriod use when it's pointed out that HBK is built like an old lady but is booked like a superhero that can beat five guys at once.

Guest Bruiser Chong

I always found it a bit peculiar that the Rockers were virtually JTTS until 1991, but somehow, Shawn became this legitimate singles star without changing much in his build or moveset.

I always found it a bit peculiar that the Rockers were virtually JTTS until 1991, but somehow, Shawn became this legitimate singles star without changing much in his build or moveset.

Vince needing to push small guys in a hurry due to his trial helped a bit too.

Actually there's the idea that HBK became a superstar overnight after leaving the Rockers, but he was opening and mid-carding for quite a while before he got his groove with Diesel and Razor.

Vince McMahon is a big fan of Sabu:

PWI:

Vince McMahon wants the ECW brand to be built around Sabu as the top heel, while Paul Heyman wants to use the established ECW players to put over younger talent. McMahon has been telling people backstage that the WWE should have signed Sabu years ago.

No wonder Sabu gets a PPV match with Vince's Golden boy.

BTW, I've had it with all these people who keep saying "ECW was all about the wrestling" These people must not have watched the same shows I was watching from 1995-1997. Paul Heyman must be a great promoter because he's convinced the mutants or whatever you call them that ECW had all this non-stop bell to bell in ring action and no "Sports Entertainment" whatsover. It's just great to have all these high and mighty ECW marks back!

I'm as big an ECW fan as you'll find out there, and I don't think ECW was about wrestling alone. As I've said elsewhere, one of the things I loved about ECW was that it provided a bit of everything...storylines (Raven vs. Dreamer, Raven vs. Sandman, Foley vs. ECW)...comedy (Early Dudleys stuff, Mikey Whipwreck)...women (Francine, Beluah, Kimona)...insane brawls with guys like The Sandman, Sabu, Funk, and Dreamer...and then wrestling with guys like Eddie/Dean, Lucha Stuff, or RVD/Jerry Lynn. You add all that together combined with the ECW fanbase, and that was what made ECW what it was.

This isn't directed at Dave, but his post reminded me that I'd be willing to wager that very few of the ECW marks coming out of the woodwork now ever watched ECW back when Dean/Eddy/Chris/Rey were there. We didn't even get the syndicated ECW show until 1996 here in Pittsburgh. If you didn't live in the NYC or Philly era from 94 to 96, you probably weren't watching when ECW was all about introducing wrestling to the masses. A lot of people talk like they were front row sitting next to the Hat Guy for that shit instead of copping to not watching it until they scored a copy of the tape.

Vince McMahon is a big fan of Sabu:

PWI:

Vince McMahon wants the ECW brand to be built around Sabu as the top heel, while Paul Heyman wants to use the established ECW players to put over younger talent. McMahon has been telling people backstage that the WWE should have signed Sabu years ago.

No wonder Sabu gets a PPV match with Vince's Golden boy.

Interesting, very interesting.

This isn't directed at Dave, but his post reminded me that I'd be willing to wager that very few of the ECW marks coming out of the woodwork now ever watched ECW back when Dean/Eddy/Chris/Rey were there. We didn't even get the syndicated ECW show until 1996 here in Pittsburgh. If you didn't live in the NYC or Philly era from 94 to 96, you probably weren't watching when ECW was all about introducing wrestling to the masses. A lot of people talk like they were front row sitting next to the Hat Guy for that shit instead of copping to not watching it until they scored a copy of the tape.

A lot of people are like that with the whole ECW thing. I bet a lot of the so called huge marks for it now weren't even 10 years old when it was still on the air.

Guest treble

Sabu's awesome. There's this picture of my friend and him from a show here last summer where he has the most annoyed look on his face I've ever seen.

The Macho Man vs Warrior retirement match and subsequent angle with Elizabeth is perhaps overall the best angle/wrestling match combination of all time. On an overall basis, I think this angle hit home harder than anything ever has in wrestling for quite a number of people.

Definitely one of the top wrestling moments ever produced. I bet for example if you could somehow take a survey of this you would find more people on the verge of crying or crying to be higher than any other angle in wrestling.

The Rock/Hogan match at X-8 really shows the attitude of the WWF. It still amazes me that JR and Lawler were trying to play it off as a mixed reaction when the crowd was cheering every Hogan move and booing every Rock move. Everything has to be scripted to the last detail, you can't go with the flow at all. At least Hogan and the Rock were smart enough to change their roles during the course of the match.

The Macho Man vs Warrior retirement match and subsequent angle with Elizabeth is perhaps overall the best angle/wrestling match combination of all time. On an overall basis, I think this angle hit home harder than anything ever has in wrestling for quite a number of people.

Definitely one of the top wrestling moments ever produced. I bet for example if you could somehow take a survey of this you would find more people on the verge of crying or crying to be higher than any other angle in wrestling.

I still get goosebumps when I watch that. Especially now considering what happened to Liz, it's a nice reminder of How Things Used to Be and perhaps of How Things Should Have Been. It's nicer to remember her that way than as just another senseless wrestling death.

Ironically, as I was typing this I was listening to an mp3 of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo`ole which is probably best known as "the song playing when Dr. Green died on ER".

Actually, I didn't get into ECW until I came online in early 1997. I heard all about it, and decided to order some tapes. I started watching before Barely Legal, but not by much. I ordered the two tape set they used to offer called "Extreme Revoultion" I think it was, which was more or less a highlight set for new people getting into ECW. I was hooked from there, and went back and ordered everything I could get my hands on. I saw a lot of the best stuff from 94-97 after the fact, but as of 97 I started following it and that's when I started going to shows in Buffalo and whatnot.

So in truth, I never saw a lot of the "classic" stuff until afterward. For example, Foley was already in the WWF by the time I started watching...and I only caught the tail end of the Raven/Dreamer feud, and The Eliminators. Pretty soon, they were off to WCW.

Sabu's awesome. There's this picture of my friend and him from a show here last summer where he has the most annoyed look on his face I've ever seen.

Hey TC, I don't know if you ever used to hear about those independant shows that Ricky Johnson (Rocky Johnson's brother) used to run down at the CNE in Toronto...but I got to see Sabu fight there a bunch of times. I saw him fight Scott D'Amore before he was a big fat load, Scorpio, and Funk even.

One of the guys who worked there told me that Sabu stays in character 24/7 unless he's around his friends or family. They had to pay him a ton to get him to do some autographs. I actually have a piece of smashed table autographed by Sabu, and the guy who worked for the CNE who sold it to me told me that Sabu scared the shit out of all the guys who worked there.

It warms my heart and restores my faith in the WWE audience that Armando Alejandro Estr(rrrrrrrrr)ada is getting over. He was one of the most entertaining parts of OVW when he was there, especially when he was going around saying he was going to get a question put on the ballot asking the people to elect him the Dictator of Los Kentuckos.

He's proof that pro wrestling isn't rocket science (and I mean that in a good way). Everyone scoffed when Umaga made his debut but they went with the tried and true formula of Big Silent Monster Heel + Manager With Mic Skills. It worked for all the stiffs Bobby Heenan managed in the 80s, and hopefully it'll remind Vince that it can still work now.

Guest treble

Sabu's awesome.  There's this picture of my friend and him from a show here last summer where he has the most annoyed look on his face I've ever seen.

Hey TC, I don't know if you ever used to hear about those independant shows that Ricky Johnson (Rocky Johnson's brother) used to run down at the CNE in Toronto...but I got to see Sabu fight there a bunch of times. I saw him fight Scott D'Amore before he was a big fat load, Scorpio, and Funk even.

One of the guys who worked there told me that Sabu stays in character 24/7 unless he's around his friends or family. They had to pay him a ton to get him to do some autographs. I actually have a piece of smashed table autographed by Sabu, and the guy who worked for the CNE who sold it to me told me that Sabu scared the shit out of all the guys who worked there.

It was weird to see him wearing a track suit and a backwards baseball cap when I saw him for a half-second walking backstage before the show started. He was pretty gross looking close up, too, since he was still all sweaty, so his scars and stuff stood out more. I said thanks to him and he kinda mumbled 'Thanks' back, and they charged $5 for a measly polaroid with him in the ring, plus he was only back out there for a few minutes. Compare that with all the other 'big' names from TNA that were there (pretty much just A-1, Petey Williams, Bobby Roode and Abyss) who were all out at table signing autographs for free before the show. Abyss was walking around talking and taking pictures and signing autographs before and after the show.

I'm actually the opposite as I watched ECW from about 1993-97 and somewhat shyed away afterwards. At some point in 1996, ECW became way, WAY too fascinated with angles involving something violent being done to the other wrestler's groin. It became difficult to watch and when Philly stopped showing ECW at convenient times, that was that. ECW in 1995 though was as much fun to watch as any other wrestling in my memory.