Pro Wrestling Only

[1980-01-04-Houston Wrestling] Two Ring Battle Royal

shoe

We get an Andre interview which didn't have a wrestling feel to it. Then a Gino one which was awesome, and a text book wrestling segment. This was fun, and had a cast of characters. I thought Wahoo and Gino were the stars here. They did a good job of pushing a feud between them.

• 1 year later...

The Andre interview before the match may have been more interesting than the Battle Royal. WOO! I hate battle royals! You have all these awesome guys in a match, and then you get to watch them lean against the ropes and clubbing eachother softly. This also had weird novelty rules where guys had to be thrown from ring #1 into ring #2 where they would continue fighting. So it's like a reverse battle royal merged with an actual battle royal! Andre was throwing these guys over like rabbits. I love that the first thing Tully does is dropkick the unsuspecting fatguy. Eventually it boils down to Wahoo fighting Gino and Tully in ring #2 which was fun. But yeah this was a match that mostly got by on novelty.

I love the Andre interview at the beginning. And that Gino Hernandez was one handsome man.

Re the battle -- I am with Jetlag. These kinds of matches tend to make my eyes glaze over (even royal rumble, sometimes). But this one does a nice job of demonstrating just how much bigger Andre was than everyone else in 1980.

I know the limitations of movement that come from being a supersized dude. This guy Big Mike generally fits those limits. And when I see a guy like him or Calhoun, I feel more appreciation for Yokozuna. He moved so much better than most guys his size.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Andre comes off very charming in the interview and even predates Spinal Taps own Viv Savage by saying he has a good time all the time. The Battle Royal has rules similar to Battle Bowl or the one from GAB 89 with the two rings, and I loved Andre hanging out watching the action in ring two, only to instantly get in and toss Gino out after he wins ring two. Cool to see some of the names in here as well.

• GSR changed the title to [1980-01-04-Houston Wrestling] Two Ring Battle Royal
  • 1 year later...

Boesch asking the audience to not ask for Andres phone number was funny.

Gino is a prick and has insane heat. Battle Royal was fine. A lot of leaning and clubbing but some star power to keep things interesting. Finish was predictable but well done and again Gino felt like a young star on the rise. **1/2