Pro Wrestling Only

Ricky Fuyuki vs. El Rebelde (July 1987)

El Boricua

• 2 weeks later...

Fuyuki gets jumped at the bell and Rebelde is in charge early on. Some basic off the ropes stuff leading to Rebelde taking Fuyuki down with a chinlock and controlling him from there. Fuyuki is abe to take over with armdrag body slam type basic babyface wor. Fuyuki looks just like a smaller Choshui its crazy. Fuyuki takes control with an armbar after a flurry building to a nice clothesline. Rebelde is able to take back over eventually sending Fuyuki to the outside with a nice jumping knee. This is just a super basic back and forth match. Fuyuki gets a GREAT reaction and shows a lot of fire. Rebelde is perfectly fine. This is nothing remarkable but was a perfectly fine young still learning wrestlers match.

• 1 month later...
I didn't care too much for this, but there was some clipping going on in there at points and that sort of took me out of it a bit. You'd have them going in one direction, then there'd be a jump in the tape, and the direction would shift pretty abruptly. I also thought it was worked a bit strangely in that they had a fairly hot opening, but then Fuyuki would make his comebacks and in the back half of the match they started working in nerve holds and armbars. Felt kind of arse backwards. I don't have a clue who El Rebelde is and a quick google search is proving fruitless. He was inoffensive enough, I guess, if not very compelling. Fuyuki got real good a couple years after this, but he wasn't at that level yet as a singles wrestler and it showed. If nothing else he was versatile, and it's neat to see him work in this setting. He certainly wasn't afraid to get thrown out and roll around in the dirt.

• 4 weeks later...

Fuyuki showed some nice fire here and Rebelde seemed perfectly serviceable. Agree with the notion that it was weird for them to build to the second half of the match only to slow it down with the nerve hold. Fuyuki did a fine job selling and this was entertaining enough overall. I liked the spin kick that ended it. Perfectly fine match.

• 1 year later...