Pro Wrestling Only

Hugo Savinovich vs. El Profe (Loser Is Painted Yellow) (1/5/88)

El Boricua

• 2 weeks later...

Hugo is awesome. Totally beloved by the crowd and he goes after El Profe like a house of fire right at the start. Great punches. Great suplex. Hugo & Bobby Jaggers are on commentary and Hugo calling his own match is phenomenal. Hugo dominates early on and Profe bails out. Crowd is hot. Profe takes over when he gets back in. Biting Hugo and dropping a nice elbow and footstomp. Back and forth roll up attempts and this is SO MUCH FUN. Hugo admits to all of the cheating he does in this. “I’ll admit. I cheated here.” Hugo is such a fun babyface. I really wish we had 10 or so more Hugo matches on this set. El Profe is a really fun wrestler too. This was way better than I expected. Pop at the finish is monumental.

• 1 month later...
This was way better than I thought it was going to be. I never knew Hugo had been a wrestler earlier in his career. It's really fun to hear him commentating on his own match, and he actually had some pretty good offence, sold well, and the crowd were all the way behind him. I don't know who El Profe is but he worked well in this, too. He hits a nasty double stomp, eats knees like a trooper off a top rope splash, and will bite Hugo's forehead when he needs to. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing more of these guys in the ring at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Hugo was a ton of fun here. After listening to him for much of the set it only added to his charm as he charges Profe from the opening bell, defending his honor. Also touching is Bobby Jaggers sort of sticking up for and rooting for Hugo as they look back on the match together.

I really loved Profe's senton and the use of a low blow while he was being pinned. That's a clever tactic that some modern heel should really dust off. They build to a nice finish with Hugo getting the big win to a great pop and then an extended painting of Profe. Fun stuff.

• 11 months later...