Pro Wrestling Only

Pro wrestling and sports

Two questions here:

1. I was watching a college football game on Saturday and one of the signs used by the coaching staff to signal in a play was a huge picture of Andre the Giant from a WWF magazine circa 1987 or 1988. What other examples can you come up with where pro wrestling is used in some fashion by athletes, teams or venues?

A few that come to mind for me:

• Aaron Rodgers putting on the belt after rushing for key first downs and touchdowns. After winning the Super Bowl, Rodgers had a replica WWE title over his shoulder on the podium. There have been other athletes to wear a replica belt since, but Rodgers was the first that I remember.
  • Ric Flair's "Whoooo!" being played over stadium and arena PA systems during games.
  • This really doesn't count, but did anyone watch the Ryder Cup this weekend? The whole event had a very NWA Wargames 1987 vibe. The crowd was out of its mind hot. I was waiting for Dusty or Road Warrior Animal to make a run-in.

2. Does anybody have any idea how much Flair makes annually from his "Whoooo!" being used at sports venues?

Well the obvious ones would be guys in real combat sports drawing heavily from pro wrestling to draw interest/heat/money. Mohammed Ali patterned a lot of his shtick from Gorgeous George and Fred Blassie and Connor is basically 80s Ric Flair with f-bombs.

I still remember the Olympics in 1988 doing video packages with the theme of USA vs USSR that might as well have been cribbed from Bill Watts' notebook.

In the early 90s, after Bob Probert beat Tie Domi in a hockey fight at the Garden, Red Wings Captain Steve Yzerman did the belt gesture at his waist.

Is that really a wrestling taunt though? Most fighting sports, non-predetermined or otherwise, do use belts as trophies.

Questionable, especially given the context. Still, seems like more a wrestling gesture than boxing.

I've noticed every time an Alabama football defensive player gets an interception he'll run to the sideline and throw a championship belt over his shoulder.

There's a lot of wrestling fans on the Baltimore Orioles. Adam Jones passes around a championship belt to his teammates and Tommy Hunter referenced Ric Flair during their Wild Card clinching locker room celebration.