Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestlemania XXI Thoughts

Loss

I've said it before, but this would make the 8th consecutive WM where they've had that scratch logo. The Attitude era is long over, and I think it's time to move on. Also, this set looks pretty much the exact same as the set has the past few years. WM X-7 looked amazing at the time, and I guess they thought so too, to a point where they've pretty much done the exact same look every year since.

Eddy v Rey - I felt like this match ended abruptly. Everything that was here was really good, although I felt like it should have been better. Rey seemed to be having worlds of trouble keeping his mask on. People have complained about the match being too short, but I really don't think that was the problem, so much as it was that the match was paced as if it was going to go 30 minutes and it didn't even go half of that time. Eddy kept Rey grounded, which was his job, and more so than Benoit, Guerrero has made a fantastic transition away from most of his high-risk moves into a more focused, grounded offense. He is more credible as a result, almost too credible (and too over) to be in this spot on the show. Eddy's powerbomb just may be one of the best wrestling spots in Wrestlemania history. Rey was his usual awesome self, but I was expecting to see him pull out all the spots and maybe unleash some stuff we don't see from him in every match, but that wasn't the case. The crowd seemed to be more genuinely into this match than any match on the show, probably because it's SoCal and this match featured possibly the two biggest draws they have in that market. This match could have happened on Smackdown, but even there, I have a feeling it might have seemed like a letdown. Nowhere near Havoc, obviously, and definitely nowhere near the far-too-underrated title defense Eddy had on Smackdown just after last year's WM.

HHH/JBL altercation was good stuff, if nothing spectacular. JBL comes across as someone who could be fucking awesome on a regular basis, both in the ring and on the mic, if he was in a better environment. I'd like to see him in feuds with Benoit and Eddy getting in mic duels with guys like Flair and Rock. As it stands, he's not really the kind of guy that can carry a match or segment on his own. I think he'll probably be far more over now that he's not going to be the champ, and I think they should move him to RAW and keep him in the upper midcard.

MITB Ladder Match - In terms of great spotfests of the past few years, probably closer to TLC III than TLC I or II, because Benoit can motherfucking sell like no one else when he's up to it. Kane kept up nicely with everyone else in the ring, and even did a dive from the top rope to the floor at one point in this indy-feeling match. Christian is really good at keeping everyone else in check in these sorts of matches, but no one really gave him any chances to make himself look good, which bothered me. After the ladder conchairto, I would have liked to have seen Christian turn on Edge and start beating the shit out of him, but it wasn't to be. Jericho was barely even in this match at all, which didn't really fit the build at all, since the match was his idea. Benoit was great here, considering the environment, and I love him selling his arm after the match so much where he's actually biting the ring apron and wincing in pain. His mini-battle with Kane where he just starts headbutting him repeatedly was fantastic, as was his flying headbutt from the top of the ladder. Shelton Benjamin was the star of the match. His selling wasn't as good as Benoit's, but he did everything else (kill and be killed) better than anyone else in the match. He does some incredible highspots, and he'll probably be more over than ever coming out of this match. Fuck Batista. Fuck Cena. This is the guy who should have won the belt this year. He's their future and they need to push him very hard very soon. As it stands, Edge did less than anyone in the match and still managed to secure the win, but he was the right choice to go over. *** seems right. As a collection of spots, it's ****1/2 or better, but it's just not believable for guys to be out of the action as long as they were here.

The Hogan/Eugene/Hassan segment was nicely done, in terms of giving the crowd a nice dose of Hulkastalgia, but I don't like the idea of a 51-year old cartoon character dominating a guy who's supposed to be one of the next huge heels they're pushing. I do like that they kept an opening for a Hogan/Hassan match there, which if promoted properly will draw a nice short-term gate, but I would have switched the focus back to Eugene in the end by having him return to the ring and have the markout moment of his life posing alongside Hulk Hogan. It just makes sense. That said, Hogan looked in better shape than he did in 2002.

Undertaker v Randy Orton was a nice little match, actually, but not anything worth going out of the way to see. 'Taker seemed really motivated to have a great match, and Orton did his best. This is a feud that would get better with time as the two gained familiarity with each other, because they're not doing anything wrong really, but it doesn't all come together as coherently and tightly as it should. Almost a total lack of energy until Bob Orton Jr. interfered, and his facial expressions and charisma trumped both of the guys in the ring. While I understand Taker going over here, I almost wish they wouldn't have done this match, because it puts Orton in a no-win situation. If he wins, he still has to take time off for surgery and no one buys his victory as credible anyway. If he loses, especially after the rough last six months or so he's had, it makes it seem like all he ever was in the first place was talk, and not even very good talk. It's sad that all of Foley's efforts were wasted on someone who just doesn't have it, no matter how hard he tries. But therein lies the dilemma with the Undertaker -- having him get wins kills everyone else and having him lose is ridiculous because no one buys it as the real deal. So what do you do?

Trish v Christy was next. Trish tried very hard to pull something out here, and there were segments of the match where she was actually wrestling herself and pulling Hemme in the right direction for spots, but it didn't work out as well as it should have. Trish is still an awesome heel though, and still should be a main event character. I'd book her to come on to Batista tonight, only for him to blow her off, leading to Trish managing several heels to come after Batista over time. She's too good for this crap.

Kurt Angle v Shawn Michaels - I missed the first half of this match, which probably made it better than it really was. The last half of this was just superb, with Angle going after Shawn's back like a bloodthirsty wolf and Shawn selling it like a champ. Shawn did his kip-up here, which was totally out of place considering all the focus Angle had put into decimating his back. I was watching with a casual fan, who remarked that she's sick of hearing about Shawn's bad back, because he's been back for a few years now, and he'd already be gone if it was that bad. Funny. The transitions here were stronger than they usually are in Angle matches, probably because Shawn has a much better grasp of what to do between moves than Kurt does, and it shows. I thought the finish actually weakened the supposed instant damage of the ankle lock, although I did like Shawn trying to reverse it and make the ropes and do everything else he could before tapping out. There was a lot of suspense once Angle locked on the hold, and if Shawn is on crutches tonight selling the after-effects, I won't bitch about it. The last half of this was probably **** or so, but with the first half included, I'm not sure how that will turn out. Lots of great nearfalls for some big moves on Angle's part, and Shawn's facial expressions all the way through were great. The crowd wasn't into this at all untill the finish, which sucked, because a "dream match" like this needs atmosphere as much as it does anything else. The crowd sucked all night actually.

Piper's Pit segment with Austin was a total waste. It was nice seeing Piper act himself again, for the first time in God knows how long. If all of his work was this carefully scripted, he could come back in a speaking role and be great. Piper's response to the "What?" chants was terrific. Carlito coming out was a nice touch, but I don't like the idea of Austin killing both of them. It's surreal seeing Steve now in the same comic sideshow as Hogan and Piper, but if they're going to involve active talent in this, the active talent needs to come out looking good. I don't have a lot of faith in Carlito or anything, but he has a decent amount of charisma and shouldn't be selling for guys whose glory days are long over.

Big Show v Akebono - I actually had no problem with this match happening, just because I thought it would be a great way to establish Show as a big deal, but this did anything but that. I know that's traditional sumo gear, but they really should have worn different attire for an audience that's not used to seeing that sort of thing. Show losing to Akebono was just ridiculous on every level imaginable, though, which is a shame, because he's become such a smart worker in the past year, and he's probably more capable now than he'll ever be of being somewhat like Andre. I do not understand the reasoning behind jobbing him at all.

JBL v Cena - JBL carried the match, and as I said before, without someone outstanding across the ring, it's just flat. Match had no heat, and Cena's big win didn't come across as anything more special than Rhyno beating Val Venis on Heat. Unfortunate. I do like the subtle changes they've made in Cena's character to make him more serious, but I don't like the stupid things he does, like pump up his tennis shoes. He's not a wrestler; he's just this mass-marketing wet dream, and I fear the fans are going to turn on him in a major way if he doesn't do something to make himself more credible at some point. Yeah, he's probably making a killing off of merchandise, but he'd be making the same whether they ever put him in the title picture or not. With Eddy jobbing tonight, the only strong opponent he has lined up is Angle, and he's going to need him in the worst way. Crowd didn't react at all.

Finally, HHH v Batista. Way too long with way too much sympathy put on the monster face, as I think most of us expected. HHH has this annoying habit of taking a leisurely stroll around the ring between even the smallest, most insignificant moves, and the pace of the match just gets so dragged down with it. He did do a lot of things right -- the staredown was great, the entrance was great, the blade job was great. Batista making a comeback shaking the ropes like he's the Ultimate Warrior after being dominated for 80% of the match was all wrong. The right person won though, and the match wasn't terribly offensive, just really boring with no heat unless Flair was interfering or the crowd thought the match was about to end.

Overall, the show was about what I thought it would be, but I'm more interested in the upcoming draft and its implications than I was anything on this show.

Guest Some Guy

Edge did less than anyone in the match and still managed to secure the win, but he was the right choice to go over.

This happens in virtually every ladder match he's in. Edge does nothing and gets the glory.

I competely agree with you about Cena. He gets some comparrisons to Rock because of the mic skills and silly moves. But Rock knew how to work, he knew when to do the Elbow and how to work it in. Watching Cena it seems like he has no idea. He'll be in teh ring and his opponent will be down and for know reason he starts pumping his shoes and drops a fist on his head. I think Cena is becoming a self fullfilling prophesy. They booked him as a brawler because he couldn't work and rather than learning to work he just went with the brawling. And I think he's actually gotten worse. His timing sucks, his moveset is lame and pedestrian (his finisher is alwful, a vertical suplex looks more devastating), but his selling can be good on occasion.

Good write up, Loss. How long did the HHH/Batista match go?

I didn't see the show, I was busy watching the Yankees kill my Red Sox and getting shitfaced. A girl came over the house I was at and she saw WM. I was told it was "best WM ever." She was a mark and probably not a big fan.

Several of my friends ended up going to the show. I listened to them for about 4 hours when they came back over to my house.

The wrestling sucked. No one there cared for the roided up pretty boys. Batista, Cena, and Orton will never draw. Shelton Benjamin and Eddy were the guys that everyone wanted to see in the ME. JBL vs. Eddy and HHH vs. Benjamin for the titles would have probably gotten the crowd to pop.

Cena is like a Dusty Rhodes idea gone bad. Parade around the wigger. That's what everyone I spoke to thought about Cena. He just comes off as a flippin wannabe who can't even string together an entertaining match for more than 5 minutes. Another OVW come-up-too-early reject.

Here's another problem that they told me was the cause for the lame crowd:

Spots, spots, and more spots.

The crowd was just totally turned off by the crummy matches. LA is a *smart* area where fans appreciate good wrestling transitions instead of jerkoff spotfests. Many of the older folks here grew up watching Lucha and transitions are a heavy part of the style. That's not how the WWE Style works.

That's what the Ladder match and HBK/Angle matches were. One of my buddies rated both of those matches at around *** along with bringing up how the matches were just total clusterfucks and didn't do anything to entice fans to care until the finish, which is the only thing that brought the fans back into the match. It was: who's going to win? Not, I want him or her to win. It was just: who is going to win with no afterthought of the other 4/5's of the match time since it was a blur.

The multiple Angle Slams were a sight to behold but they didn't mean a damn in the long run. HBK's kip up is as bad as Hogan's no-selling schtick. All of Angle's hard work went down the tubes.

People are not going to cheer for the matches. They're only going to cheer for the spots since that's the WWE style.

The Hogan and Piper spots were for good nostalgia. No one will pay to see them on shows though. They're just a comedy act now and should be treated as one unless Vince wants to make them look all dignified after trashing the dinosaurs for the past 10 years. Just drop them off in opener matches and be done with it. That's the only way these guys would be able to continue to endear themselves to fans. Jannetty should be treated this way along with any other 80's worker that Vince decides to give another shot to.

Speaking of...

Vince sabotaged SD! so he could make RAW look stronger and it worked. We saw the results last night when LA, one of the stronger TV areas for wrestling, could give two shits about the SD! match. Now, Vince is paying for it. Eddy should have been booked into the Title match, not Cena.

The HHH/Batista match was booked wrong. Dead wrong. Going 20 + minutes with HHH exposed Batista. The dude is supposed to be a beast that kills guys dead in handicap matches in less than 5 minutes. Yet he can't put away HHH in less than 10 minutes. The WWE booked the *obvious* HHH match where everyone saw this dog being run ragged. That looked too hokey. Austin was a tough guy but even he needed about 15 minutes to finish off HBK at Mania 14. But the difference was that HBK was a slick guy in that match who used every trick in his book to survive Austin's onslaught and pray for the out-of-nowhere Sweet Chin Music to finish off the SOB. HHH on the otherhand just dominated, and dominated, and dominated, bled, and dominated, and dominated, and dominated until Batista shook off all of that "work" done to him and finished off HHH in lame Heyman booking fashion.

"Hokey" was the word that I heard brought up a lot. All of the matches looked hokey. Spots, spots, and more spots. People got sick of it. The Eddy/Rey match should have been booked for 20 + minutes, not HHH/Batista. The Cena/JBL match was just horrid to watch because no one was interested in either guy since both are blatantly limited in the ring and it showed...too much.

The NWA would put the title around the *best* heavyweight wrestler in the country that had some marketing value to them. Cena and Batista are not the best wrestlers on the roster nor do they project that aura or presence to them when they enter the ring.

LA got burned in 2000 with the Foley return, the McMahon circle jerk and also watching HHH walk out of the ring as the champ. Vince fried this town after that. The only guys people care for are Eddy and Rey. Eddy has lost *twice* now on the Mania cards in LA; once to friggin Chyne and the other to a troublesome masked Mysterio. People here want Eddy to *win* and not get shafted. He's like a God down here.

This city has gotten burned with shitty Mania's every year the WWE has come down here to peddle it's product. Hogan/Slaughter, Hart/Michaels, HHH/Rock/Mankind/Show and now Cena/JBL along with Batista/HHH were either snooze fests or poorly booked matches with bad finishes that have just deflated this town. It's burned out and tired. Vince needs to go stay away from here for 10 years if he expects to get another good crowd fromt his town. Coming back in another 5 will not be any better, and possibly worse.

Now, I'm going to have to watch this show to see for myself what all the hubbub is about.

Guest Bruiser Chong

My thoughts on the show:

I've said it before, but this would make the 8th consecutive WM where they've had that scratch logo. The Attitude era is long over, and I think it's time to move on. Also, this set looks pretty much the exact same as the set has the past few years. WM X-7 looked amazing at the time, and I guess they thought so too, to a point where they've pretty much done the exact same look every year since.

Eddy v Rey - I felt like this match ended abruptly. Everything that was here was really good, although I felt like it should have been better. Rey seemed to be having worlds of trouble keeping his mask on. People have complained about the match being too short, but I really don't think that was the problem, so much as it was that the match was paced as if it was going to go 30 minutes and it didn't even go half of that time. Eddy kept Rey grounded, which was his job, and more so than Benoit, Guerrero has made a fantastic transition away from most of his high-risk moves into a more focused, grounded offense. He is more credible as a result, almost too credible (and too over) to be in this spot on the show. Eddy's powerbomb just may be one of the best wrestling spots in Wrestlemania history. Rey was his usual awesome self, but I was expecting to see him pull out all the spots and maybe unleash some stuff we don't see from him in every match, but that wasn't the case. The crowd seemed to be more genuinely into this match than any match on the show, probably because it's SoCal and this match featured possibly the two biggest draws they have in that market. This match could have happened on Smackdown, but even there, I have a feeling it might have seemed like a letdown. Nowhere near Havoc, obviously, and definitely nowhere near the far-too-underrated title defense Eddy had on Smackdown just after last year's WM.

HHH/JBL altercation was good stuff, if nothing spectacular. JBL comes across as someone who could be fucking awesome on a regular basis, both in the ring and on the mic, if he was in a better environment. I'd like to see him in feuds with Benoit and Eddy getting in mic duels with guys like Flair and Rock. As it stands, he's not really the kind of guy that can carry a match or segment on his own. I think he'll probably be far more over now that he's not going to be the champ, and I think they should move him to RAW and keep him in the upper midcard.

MITB Ladder Match - In terms of great spotfests of the past few years, probably closer to TLC III than TLC I or II, because Benoit can motherfucking sell like no one else when he's up to it. Kane kept up nicely with everyone else in the ring, and even did a dive from the top rope to the floor at one point in this indy-feeling match. Christian is really good at keeping everyone else in check in these sorts of matches, but no one really gave him any chances to make himself look good, which bothered me. After the ladder conchairto, I would have liked to have seen Christian turn on Edge and start beating the shit out of him, but it wasn't to be. Jericho was barely even in this match at all, which didn't really fit the build at all, since the match was his idea. Benoit was great here, considering the environment, and I love him selling his arm after the match so much where he's actually biting the ring apron and wincing in pain. His mini-battle with Kane where he just starts headbutting him repeatedly was fantastic, as was his flying headbutt from the top of the ladder. Shelton Benjamin was the star of the match. His selling wasn't as good as Benoit's, but he did everything else (kill and be killed) better than anyone else in the match. He does some incredible highspots, and he'll probably be more over than ever coming out of this match. Fuck Batista. Fuck Cena. This is the guy who should have won the belt this year. He's their future and they need to push him very hard very soon. As it stands, Edge did less than anyone in the match and still managed to secure the win, but he was the right choice to go over. *** seems right. As a collection of spots, it's ****1/2 or better, but it's just not believable for guys to be out of the action as long as they were here.

The Hogan/Eugene/Hassan segment was nicely done, in terms of giving the crowd a nice dose of Hulkastalgia, but I don't like the idea of a 51-year old cartoon character dominating a guy who's supposed to be one of the next huge heels they're pushing. I do like that they kept an opening for a Hogan/Hassan match there, which if promoted properly will draw a nice short-term gate, but I would have switched the focus back to Eugene in the end by having him return to the ring and have the markout moment of his life posing alongside Hulk Hogan. It just makes sense. That said, Hogan looked in better shape than he did in 2002.

Undertaker v Randy Orton was a nice little match, actually, but not anything worth going out of the way to see. 'Taker seemed really motivated to have a great match, and Orton did his best. This is a feud that would get better with time as the two gained familiarity with each other, because they're not doing anything wrong really, but it doesn't all come together as coherently and tightly as it should. Almost a total lack of energy until Bob Orton Jr. interfered, and his facial expressions and charisma trumped both of the guys in the ring. While I understand Taker going over here, I almost wish they wouldn't have done this match, because it puts Orton in a no-win situation. If he wins, he still has to take time off for surgery and no one buys his victory as credible anyway. If he loses, especially after the rough last six months or so he's had, it makes it seem like all he ever was in the first place was talk, and not even very good talk. It's sad that all of Foley's efforts were wasted on someone who just doesn't have it, no matter how hard he tries. But therein lies the dilemma with the Undertaker -- having him get wins kills everyone else and having him lose is ridiculous because no one buys it as the real deal. So what do you do?

Trish v Christy was next. Trish tried very hard to pull something out here, and there were segments of the match where she was actually wrestling herself and pulling Hemme in the right direction for spots, but it didn't work out as well as it should have. Trish is still an awesome heel though, and still should be a main event character. I'd book her to come on to Batista tonight, only for him to blow her off, leading to Trish managing several heels to come after Batista over time. She's too good for this crap.

Kurt Angle v Shawn Michaels - I missed the first half of this match, which probably made it better than it really was. The last half of this was just superb, with Angle going after Shawn's back like a bloodthirsty wolf and Shawn selling it like a champ. Shawn did his kip-up here, which was totally out of place considering all the focus Angle had put into decimating his back. I was watching with a casual fan, who remarked that she's sick of hearing about Shawn's bad back, because he's been back for a few years now, and he'd already be gone if it was that bad. Funny. The transitions here were stronger than they usually are in Angle matches, probably because Shawn has a much better grasp of what to do between moves than Kurt does, and it shows. I thought the finish actually weakened the supposed instant damage of the ankle lock, although I did like Shawn trying to reverse it and make the ropes and do everything else he could before tapping out. There was a lot of suspense once Angle locked on the hold, and if Shawn is on crutches tonight selling the after-effects, I won't bitch about it. The last half of this was probably **** or so, but with the first half included, I'm not sure how that will turn out. Lots of great nearfalls for some big moves on Angle's part, and Shawn's facial expressions all the way through were great. The crowd wasn't into this at all untill the finish, which sucked, because a "dream match" like this needs atmosphere as much as it does anything else. The crowd sucked all night actually.

Piper's Pit segment with Austin was a total waste. It was nice seeing Piper act himself again, for the first time in God knows how long. If all of his work was this carefully scripted, he could come back in a speaking role and be great. Piper's response to the "What?" chants was terrific. Carlito coming out was a nice touch, but I don't like the idea of Austin killing both of them. It's surreal seeing Steve now in the same comic sideshow as Hogan and Piper, but if they're going to involve active talent in this, the active talent needs to come out looking good. I don't have a lot of faith in Carlito or anything, but he has a decent amount of charisma and shouldn't be selling for guys whose glory days are long over.

Big Show v Akebono - I actually had no problem with this match happening, just because I thought it would be a great way to establish Show as a big deal, but this did anything but that. I know that's traditional sumo gear, but they really should have worn different attire for an audience that's not used to seeing that sort of thing. Show losing to Akebono was just ridiculous on every level imaginable, though, which is a shame, because he's become such a smart worker in the past year, and he's probably more capable now than he'll ever be of being somewhat like Andre. I do not understand the reasoning behind jobbing him at all.

JBL v Cena - JBL carried the match, and as I said before, without someone outstanding across the ring, it's just flat. Match had no heat, and Cena's big win didn't come across as anything more special than Rhyno beating Val Venis on Heat. Unfortunate. I do like the subtle changes they've made in Cena's character to make him more serious, but I don't like the stupid things he does, like pump up his tennis shoes. He's not a wrestler; he's just this mass-marketing wet dream, and I fear the fans are going to turn on him in a major way if he doesn't do something to make himself more credible at some point. Yeah, he's probably making a killing off of merchandise, but he'd be making the same whether they ever put him in the title picture or not. With Eddy jobbing tonight, the only strong opponent he has lined up is Angle, and he's going to need him in the worst way. Crowd didn't react at all.

Finally, HHH v Batista. Way too long with way too much sympathy put on the monster face, as I think most of us expected. HHH has this annoying habit of taking a leisurely stroll around the ring between even the smallest, most insignificant moves, and the pace of the match just gets so dragged down with it. He did do a lot of things right -- the staredown was great, the entrance was great, the blade job was great. Batista making a comeback shaking the ropes like he's the Ultimate Warrior after being dominated for 80% of the match was all wrong. The right person won though, and the match wasn't terribly offensive, just really boring with no heat unless Flair was interfering or the crowd thought the match was about to end.

Overall, the show was about what I thought it would be, but I'm more interested in the upcoming draft and its implications than I was anything on this show.

Loss, your review was excellent. Every other review I have read today has sucked ass but this has me interested in seeing the Eddy/Rey and Ladder match. ANd the Angle/Michaels match, especially if he doesn't throw a german suplex.

Tim

Coffey, check General Chat for more info. From what I can gather, the same poster has changed his name several times on the folder and has stolen direct quotes from nearly everyone here. He even called himself Coffey once, along with calling himself Alkeiper and Loss. Again, check General Chat for more info.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

Eddie Guerrero v Rey Mysterio

This was a really strong opener, and it had a lot of great spots. With both men talking about their match back at Halloween Havoc in the run-up to this encounter, it was no surprise to see a lot of the spots from that match repeated here, with most of them getting tweaked a little. The near falls were great, and were believable. I don?t know that I agree with the finish, both because it was the opener and the crowd was hot for Eddie, and it seemed the time was right to give Eddie a big win. In a lot of ways this opener was perfect. While not being the tremendous match that some had predicted, it was still strong enough that it started things on a really high note, but it also didn?t set the bar so high as to make it impossible to follow. ***3/4

Chris Jericho v Chris Benoit v Christian v Shelton Benjamin v Edge v Kane ? Money In The Bank Ladder Match

This was a pure stuntfest, with about the only thing resembling psychology being the timing of one wrestler stopping another from when they were about to win. That said, it was a great stuntfest, with almost all of the stunts, smartly, being hard hitting rather than high risk. It was as long as it needed to be, and unlike a lot of these things it didn?t outstay its welcome. The star of the match, at least for most of the crowd, appeared to be Shelton Benjamin, and he pulled off the majority of the most memorable stunts here, with my favorite being his climbing up the ladder to clothesline Edge down, which required precision footing. Edge winning makes sense, because Christian isn?t credible as a World title challenger, Benoit, Jericho and Kane don?t really need the win, and Benjamin wasn?t ready for it thanks to some really terrible booking over the last month or so. With what Lawler and Ross said after the win, about Edge taking the title shot at any time, ?maybe even tomorrow?, it seemed a subtle hint that Edge might take his shot tonight. ****

Eugene/Hassan/Hogan

I?ll just transcribe exactly what I wrote down on my notepad when I heard Hogan?s music hit:

Goodbye money.

Bye Bye $$$

I should also say that the throat slitting gesture from Hassan as he applies the camel clutch really has to go. It?s in beyond terrible taste, and crosses the line, even for wrestling.

Undertaker v Randy Orton

This one was like Undertaker v Triple H at WM X7, in that it was far better than almost anyone expected. Sure, it wasn?t great, but it was a very solid match, with both guys having their working shoes on. Randy Orton?s shoulder injury didn?t play a factor into the match, so there is still no obvious indication of how Orton will be written out while has his surgery. There were some good spots in here, with my favorite being the chokeslam countered into the RKO. The near fall off that, as well as the near fall after Bob Orton used his cast, which wasn?t the original unless someone stole it from Jim Cornette, kept Orton relatively strong in defeat, so he didn?t lose too much steam out of losing. Not only that, but Cole and Tazz did a shockingly good job of putting Orton over as coming very close to having the win, so I don?t think the loss buried Orton as much as people thought it would going in. Orton was probably kept as strong as he could be while losing. ***1/4

Christy Hemme v Trish Stratus

This was short, better than I thought it would be, but still bad, with the highlights being Trish very loudly talking Hemme trough the match1/2*

Shawn Michaels v Kurt Angle

The crowd was really into this, but more from a spectacle standpoint than a classic match standpoint. There were numerous chants of one kind or another throughout this match, with most of the ones about either Kurt or Shawn being decidedly pro-Kurt. In fact, Kurt wasn?t booed a great deal here, while Shawn did get some strong boos here and there. The familiar ?You Screwed Bret?, chant was heard, which I think that was more down to the crowd wanting to be part of the show and getting on Shawn?s back just for the heck of it, rather than being malicious or anything like that. The match was your typical WWE-style affair when two top guys are involved, but it was still really great stuff. There were some negatives, three of which were the announcers selling Shawn?s back being rammed into the ringpost, when replays showed his back never came close to getting hit, Shawn?s moonsault onto Angle when he was on the Smackdown announce table being way too contrived, and Shawn kicking out of way too many big finishes at the end. The match got very dramatic in the closing stages, with the crowd getting crazy into it, and it was very clear that they absolutely didn?t want Shawn to win. The finish was a little drawn out, and I think the ankle lock was all but killed off as a serious hold, because Shawn took far too long to tap out, even if he was supposed to be showing fighting spirit. ****3/4. That?s **** for the match, * for the finish. And -1/4* for killing the ankle lock.

Piper?s Pit with Steve Austin

It was ok, and moderately entertaining, but nothing you?d remember the next day.

Akebono v Big Show

And the point of this was?..?

John Bradshaw Leyfield v John Cena

This wasn?t a bad match, but it wasn?t good either. It was just ?there?. This was at the level of a midcard television match, and was totally underwhelming. I know why they kept it short, but unless the nature of the characters involved, like a monster who the people don?t want to see in long matches, allows for short matches, a 12 minute match for a supposed major title just makes the title look midcard. Well, the Smackdown title is a midcard title, but they don?t need to make it that obvious.**

Triple H v Batista

I was very scared going into this match, as the show had almost 30 minutes left to it, and there is no way Batista should go anywhere close to 30 minutes. As it is, they ?only? went 22 minutes, which was at least seven minutes too long. As a stand alone match, with any two other wrestlers, this would have been pretty good. However, for Hunter v Batista, it was the wrong match. It went too long, Batista sold too much and too soon, and Hunter dominated far too much. He also played babyface in some spots, particularly when he didn?t even fall down from the ringpost shot that he bladed off of. Batista getting the clean win definitely helps him, and he for sure got a boost off of it, but I think his showing in this match, in that he wasn?t enough of a monster, may have hurt him just a little. **1/2.

Akebono v Big Show

And the point of this was?..?

Make more money.

Zach over at PuroresuPower has an answer:

(WWE) I don't understand why more "smarts" online don't see the point of booking Akebono on the WrestleMania show - at least in business terms (creatively, it made no sense - but that's never stopped WWE before). The obvious answer would be that Akebono is going to be a headliner for them when they return to Japan, probably to run the Tokyo Dome in the near future. Akebono is with K-1, and K-1 is on Fuji TV - the same network that supports Smackdown and supported WWE's February double-shot at Saitama Super Arena. Put over Akebono at WrestleMania in a gimmick match in exchange for a potential $5 million-dollar gate at the Tokyo Dome?

This makes sense from a business perspective.

Big Show vs. Akebono will probably be paired up together in a match the next time the SD! crew visits Japan. The match got a lot of press in Japan too.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

Akebono doesn't mean much in Japan anymore. He's been exposed as being totally clueless in a fight environment, and he's been beaten too often to be special anymore. If Akebono had done this straight after leaving Sumo, it might have led to something special. Right now, it means next to nothing.

HTQ's overlooking the *wrestling* possibilities. Akebono does still get a good amount of pub in Japan with whatever he does. Having a match in the States on the mother of all wrestling cards for the year is news worthy in Japan. Akebono in a special attraction match against someone, like Kurt Angle for instance, would be *enormously* over in Japan. The Japanese still like Angle a lot, since he's the blend of wrestler someone like Anotnio Inoki would give his left nut to have on his side.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

Takayama's been beaten multiple times in real fight environments, and he is still popular.  Ditto Bon Sapp.

Takayama actually has exciting fights while losing, which means a great deal in Japan, henceh him being over so huge. All of the fights Akebono has had have been terrible, and haven't helped him one bit. That really was a bad example.

As for Sapp, the bloom is off the rose. He no longer gets the monster numbers and monster gates that he did a few years ago. Sure, he gets a pop, but pops don't mean money.

HTQ's overlooking the wrestling possibilities. Akebono does still get a good amount of pub in Japan with whatever he does. Having a match in the States on the mother of all wrestling cards for the year is news worthy in Japan. Akebono in a special attraction match against someone, like Kurt Angle for instance, would be *enormously* over in Japan. The Japanese still like Angle a lot, since he's the blend of wrestler someone like Anotnio Inoki would give his left nut to have on his side.

Actually, I'm not, and I think you need to see how Akebono is really viewed in Japan. Once Akebono had been exposed as being beyond totally clueless and nothing more than a glorified punching bag, there was no lure in seeing him in any potential dream matches. It's far too obvious and glaring that he's beyond useless, and not even a super worker like Kobashi in his prime could get anything out of him.

As for Angle, yes, the Japanese like him, and there is some interest in him facing various Japanese wrestlers, but when he was beaten in WWE's Japan tour of mid-2003, the specialness was taken off any potential meetings. Same thing, but on a bigger scale, with Akebono. He's been beaten, and far too often, for the lure to be as great as it could be.

Thumbs up for me.

I really liked HBK/Angle. The story of the match for me was that Angle was focused with an actual gameplan and was going to bust out everything in his arsenal to beat HBK if need be. Angle became frustrated when his initial gameplan didn't work and he had to alter it mid match. I thought it was a nice touch for Kurt to bust out the Anglesault, showing he needed to dig deep in his bag of weapons to find a move that might beat Shawn. Simple, yet effective storytelling. Kurt played his role to perfection, screaming and swearing in HBK's face after he wouldn't tap out, really getting over the intensity of the match. IMO, Kurt outworked Shawn and showed he might be a better storyteller in the ring. Shawn's low blow didn't fit the role he was playing, and him playing subtle heel messed with the overall story of the match. Shawn's best moments were his selling of the ankle lock in the closing minutes, very dramatic and believable. There was more depth to the story of this match that I thought there would be. The only negative was Shawn for some reason playing a subtle heel when he should have been playing the heroic face. Great peformance by Angle, and hopefully he plays this "badass" heel in the ring more often.

Rey/Eddy was disappointing. Eddy looked depressed for some reason and seemed to be moving very slow. It looks as if Rey is in line for a big push. Eddy was not as over as I thought he would be, especially in a West Coast market. Seemed like more of an exhibition than an actaully wrestling match, both guys were just getting their spots in. No one playing a heel in the match really hurt the storytelling IMO. Solid match that lacked a real story

Bradshaw is an underrated worker. He carried Cena in their match. JBL might not do much in terms of moveset, but the moves he does look believable and are done very crisply. I also think his selling has improved dramatically in the past year. Cena needs to work like he did in his feuds with Undertaker and Benoit, where he sold like crazy and timed his comebacks perfectly. His comebacks in this match seem forced and were not believable. JBL was the star of this match.

I really liked the six way ladder match. Benoit was just awesome here, with the most realistic selling I've ever seen in a spotfest ladder match. Benjamin showed tremendous athleticism and got more over in the match even though he didn't win. Christian was in the match to do what he does best,take bumps, and he did that quite effectively. Kane didn't do much, but didn't squash the little guys like I thought he would. Edge didn't do anything out of the ordinary and it was obvious that they were protecting him from taking any real big bumps. It did fit his character to sort of swarm in at the last second and steal the victory. Jericho was solid, but should have played more of a dominating role, since the match was his idea in storyline. No outrageous bumps, but the ones they did looked devastating in their own right.

HHH/Batista was better than I thought it would be. H got too much offense, but Batista's comeback was great stuff. It's no coicidence that the crowd was silent while batista was selling and on fire while he was on offense. Good bladejob by H and he did show ass towards the end of the match, but should have been from the start of the match. Liked this match mainly for Batista's awesome comeback, where he played the monster role to perfection.

Undertaker/Orton continued Taker's streak while still getting Orton over. This match did more to get Orton over than any one thing in the HHH feud. Both worked hard and Undertaker still can lead people in the ring when need be. The spot of the night was the RKO out of the chokeslam. Plus I marked for Ace's cast shot! Good match.

2 great matches, a solid opener, one solid World Title match and great peformances by JBL and Undertaker make this a thumbs up for me, although I wouldn't say it was worth 50 DAMN dollars. Good show.

Guest Alfdogg

I think JBL should have went over Sunday, then jobbed at Judgment Day. Like I was saying in a chat after the show, Cena's big moment (well, moreso the fall of JBL, I guess) happening at a dual-brand show was just going to be overshadowed by the RAW stuff, plus it would give JBL some bragging rights after being made to look like a pussy in the HHH segment.

Akebono is still heavily courted and backed by K-1 even though he's lost some high profile fights, especially after his loss to Royce Cracie. That was just ugly. Jobbing Big Show to Akebono was probably meant to appease the K-1 front office, more than it was meant to entice fans, and score some points with them when the company tours Japan again this year.

The extra pub the match got in Japan probably didn't hurt either.