Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-02-26-XPW] Chris Candido vs Damien Steele (Falls Count Anywhere)

soup23

Oh XPW. Even the announcer is trying to sound hardcore. A garbage brawl with garbage production and garbage announcing. I guess we have to see some of this stuff for completion sake but yikes this made AAA look great in comparison. Tammy looks sad as hell here as the wheels were really falling off the plane. The lights go out as Candido celebrates his win and come back on with Shane Douglas arriving. Shane says Fuck You WCW and Kevin Sullivan. I guess this was the result of going with the young guys and them leaving you behind to go to WWF. If you ever want to see a promo where someone burns a bridge pretty much for the rest of their career, this is the one to show. *1/4

I really like Chris Candido, but we caught him at a rough time in his life and this is not at all a good match. Yeah, Tammy Sytch really does seem to be going through a major depression. She reminds me of Britney Spears doing the "Gimme More" performance at the 2007 VMAs. I thought the announcer saying, "This isn't the violent crap we've been seeing for the last hour, this is the good stuff," would have some refreshing honesty about how bad XPW is if this match happened to be good, but sadly, it wasn't. The lights go out and when they come back on, Shane Douglas has arrived, fresh off of quitting WCW (he'd be back with the start of the Russo-Bischoff regime in six weeks) and cuts one of his typically bitter, long-winded promos, mostly directed at Flair and Hogan. There's a level of delusion here that I'd call great heel work if I didn't think he was really shooting. Douglas tries to call Bill Busch in the ring but receives his voicemail. What a tool. Funny how he went crawling back to work with those guys first chance he got.

• 2 weeks later...

I had blocked out how bad XPW commentary was.

I watched some XPW tapes back in the day, but I have no recollection of Damien Steele.

Candido is doing a full Terry Funk for some reason. Tammy is in full-on street hooker mode.

Funny - XPW always slagged on ECW, but an ECW guy comes in and gets treated immediately like a big star and better than the top XPW guy.

I like the setup with the stage.

Match was short, spotty, no flow - truly terrible. Steele looked bad but Candido barely seemed to be trying, too.

Hey, it's Shane Douglas! One of my all-time favorites. Shane does his greatest hits - boo Dick Flair! Boo old man Hogan! Liberal use of the f-word! Not his best work.

This sucked, but XPW was always interesting, even when it was terrible. Somewhat fondly remember the period in 2002 where they were running Philly and Shane was booking.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is from the King of the deathmatches show and that's why the announcers were talking about the violent crap. I can't get past how much bacne Damien Steele has. So much it makes Scorpio Jr looks clean. Speaking of Clean, poor Tammy and Candido. Candido is full on Terry funk tribute act if terry did a whole bunch of heroin. Tammy is just sad to watch. Less than 5 years earlier she was on top of the world and now this. The match was nothing special. Ends in the darkness like typical XPW. Shane Douglas comes out and cuts the same promo he's been doing for 7 years prior. I like how Ron Rivera can't say the letter "s" so he calls Douglas "dougla".I have a soft spot in my heart for XPW like I do KAW. It's god awful wrestling but it's dirty as hell.

• 4 months later...

Title match for the XPW World Heavyweight championship currently held by Steele. Candido has got his Terry Funk tights on and is seconded by a very skanky looking Tammy Sytch. The two exchange punches and chops until Steele backs Candido into the corner. Whip to the opposite on, but when Steele charges in Candido vaults over him. He then rushes at Steele only to get backdropped over the turnbuckles and to the floor. Steele with a pescado and a cover on the outside (as it transpires this is a ‘falls count anywhere’ match which the commentators had neglected to tell us). Candido whips Steele into the guardrail, however as he goes to do it a second time, Steele reverses and Candido goes flying into and over it. Up on the wooden stage area and Candido attempts a delayed vertical suplex. Steele is able to fight his way out of it though and responds with one of his own. He makes the cover but Candido just about gets his shoulder up in time. Another reversal and Candido slingshots Steels from the stage back into the ring. He collects a ladder that was left behind from one of the previous death match tournament matches and sets it up in the corner of the ring. Diving headbutt, however the ladder slips as he jumps and he comes up some way short. Clothesline from Steele and Candido steps out the ring and into the audience with Steele in pursuit. They make their way to the bar and the two trade punches whilst they are knelt on it. Steele falls to the floor and Candido with a flying elbow off the bar onto him, and that’s enough for the win and title change. As Candido and Tammy celebrate in the ring afterwards the lights go out, and when they’re turned back on Shane Douglas is in there with them. Douglas cuts an expletive laden promo on ‘old man’ Hulk Hogan and Dick Flair, before telling Bill Busch that if he wants a legal battle he’d be happy to take millions of WCW’s dollars and then use it to make XPW a player in the sport of professional wrestling. Yeah, right Shane!

The finish to this caught me completely off guard as I was anticipating a much longer match than what we got. Tammy looks seriously rough here, like the kind of broad who’s touting guys to stick dollar bills in her underwear. There wasn’t actually much to the match, but we get a few nice bumps from Candido. I’m glad the guy gets a shot with WCW within the next month as he deserves better than XPW. Couldn’t really get much of a read on Steele from this mind, although glad to see I wasn’t the only one who noticed that back acne! Larry Rivera sets a new low for the standard of commentary in 2000 and I doubt we’ll hear anyone worse than him (I’ll take Steph, Bobcat and Madden over him any day). The Douglas promo is funny in hindsight when you know he’s back in WCW at the first opportunity!

• 5 months later...

Yikes... This as horrible as expected as was the majority of XPW. Larry Rivera and Kris Kloss epitomize XPW badness on commentary. Rivera for some reason finds Tammy attractive at this point... Ouch. Kloss telling Rivera he doesnt understand him because of his think accent was hilarious.

I remember Real Deal Damien Steele as he had a pretty lengthty stale run in Puerto Rico. He didnt do anything memorable back then and this is just equally as unmemorable.

Yeah, I cut this off before the lame, played out Shane Douglas shoot promo of always.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-02-26-XPW] Chris Candido vs Damien Steele (Falls Count Anywhere)