Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-03-17-CMLL-El Homenaje a Dos Leyendas 2000] Torneo Cibernetico

soup23

A rating I really waft back and forth on. This had good action throughout and told a nice story of giving Ultimo Guerrero the rub while highlighting the right people in Olimpico. I liked Rivera and Mr. Mexico continuing their hot feud together. I do wish the Infernales might have been in something more meaty on this card given how great they have been in 2000 but again having a Torneo Cibernetico built around you on such a big card is no shame at all. ****

I really loved this. I think one reason I liked this so much was because I saw so much of these guys for 2.5 months before this match, so I was pretty invested in both the individuals and pairings, and I particularly enjoyed some of the pairings that were new to me. Mr. Mexico went on an absolute tear for a while and impressed the hell out of me, furthering his feud with Tony Rivera. I also really enjoyed Olimpico continuing his hard luck run, sort of being positioned as a Tomoaki Honma or Mikey Whipwreck type who gets far more over in losing. Lots of great workers in this. The appeal here is similar to that of the Royal Rumble with all the guys coming in and out and seeing different people cross paths who don't do so regularly, but the format allows for better action because the ring doesn't get too crowded. Not quite in the top tier of Ciberneticos I've seen, but just below that. Great match! ****1/4

• 4 weeks later...

I thought this was a terrific Cibernetico. The famous Ciberneticos from '97 featured well-known names and high profile feuds. This threw a spotlight on the midcard, showcasing how much depth there was on both the rudo and tecnico sides. The most interesting thing about the bout for me was that even though it felt like a pure lucha libre bout with the rapid-fire exchanges and the off-kilter submission and pin attempts, you could feel how heavy the juniors influence was. Workers like Dr. Wagner Jr. had been working regular dates in Japan and bringing back Japanese moves throughout the late 90s, but Ultimo Guerrero was one of the first workers from his generation to be exposed to those moves and regularly tour Japan. You can see the influence in his offensive set. Instead of the usual armdrags and rolling bumps, he has a barrage of suplexes and other high impact moves. He wasn't the only one, though. This could have easily been a Japanese juniors match with Japanese wrestlers or perhaps an MPro or Toryumon match with a lucha flavour. It managed to keep its identity, though, in large part to Mr. Mexico furthering his feud Rivera. Mr. Mexico vs. Rivera! Let there be blood. Olimpico had a nice run in this, too. But how good was Ultimo Guerrero? I know I'm late to the party, but Ultimo Guerrero was very, very good in 2000. Thus far, he's been biding his time looking solid in Infernales trios but here he got a chance to shine and ran with the ball. Maybe not a game-winning touchdown, but he definitely made some yards. Really solid undercard to this PPV.

I enjoyed this too but probably not as much as you guys. It started a little fast but once some of the filler guys were eliminated, it got really good. Zumbido is the king of these types of matches as he takes a nutty Psicosis bump to the outside. Interesting to see who made it and who is still in the undercards from this match. You got guys like Ultimo Guerrero, Astro Rey Jr, Rencor Latino and Rey Bucanero who became big stars. Then you have Arkangel, Starman, Tigre Blanco and Zumbido who really never made it out of the undercard. Good mix of guys to show thePPVv crowd on a big stage.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Don't have too many extra thoughts, but yeah I love this format. I've only seen a few Ciberneticos, but it is interesting to me that, even though they have more people than most other comparable matches other people do, they don't seem nearly as bogged down/bloated. I think the set order really goes a long way in streamlining the match. When I first heard of that idea, I thought it would limit matches, but really it does the opposite. 

• GSR changed the title to [2000-03-17-CMLL-El Homenaje a Dos Leyendas 2000] Torneo Cibernetico