Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-03-19-AAA] Oscar Sevilla vs Gran Apache

soup23

Do my eyes deceive me or am I gaining faith in AAA. This was helped by the setting of a wet mat from the rain that would splash with each suplex and throw. Add to that double juice and really compelling rudo work from Apache and you have a really pleasant surprise. Apache kept looking for various submissions and I really loved the surfboard tease of how he had to keep turning over to prevent his own shoulders from touching the mat. All of that groundwork gets rewarded with a victory. Afterwards, both seconds come in and brawl and it looks like this feud is far from over which is fine by me. ***1/2

AAA suddenly gets great. No-nonsense, violent wrestling in a rainstorm with, blood, great heeling, strong matwork and a hot crowd a great match make. I loved all the work around La Tapatia near the end especially, and even the interference spots were well done in terms of building heat and interest in the feud. I'm looking forward to the hair match later in the month. ****

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, this was pretty well awesome. The wet mat made them look like they were wrestling on ice. That makes things a little sloppy at times, but it also forces them to keep things on a more brawling level. Speaking of ice, I especially liked one bit where Apache gets whipped off the rope and goes sliding across the mat like a hockey puck.

I agree with the comments about the double blood upping the intensity - is it possible that Apache got cut open hardway when he took that chair shot?

I'm not waiting: Watching the hair match next.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, we get to one of the best feuds in AAA in the 00s. For a match that takes place in a rainstorm, this was really good. I can't believe both guys bleed. That seems very dangerous. There are some botches but that helps the match. Oscar's second does a great dive towards the end of the match.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This match feels very unique. It's a nice bloody brawl in the middle of a rainsoaked ring. There is water splashing all over the place from the mat, but these guys manage to put on a good match without it affecting them. A fun bloody lucha brawl and I believe this is the best AAA match I've seen thus far from the PWO2K project.

***1/2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

This was fantastic. Two guys aggressively slugging at each other in the rain while blood pours down their faces. Great submission work from Apache and great intensity too. Sevilla is always flying all over the place both with bumps and offense and comes off scrappy as hell here. A little sloppy in spots but that's totally offset by the uniqueness of the match.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-03-19-AAA] Oscar Sevilla vs Gran Apache