Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-04-09-Michinoku Pro-Super J Cup] Chapparita Asari vs Hiromi Yagi

soup23

Another great showcase, this time for the ladies. Joshi in 2000 has been interesting but overall it has me optimistic for the decade ahead. There is a lot of positioning and multiple promotions going on that seems to be a big restraint from where the 80’s and 90’s had AJW as the center of the joshi scene that someone could parachute into and latch on. Asari in particular between this match and the Apache affair has shown an ability to work an insanely paced match but also mix in some violent and reckless moves that are executed near flawlessly. That is a dangerous clip to keep up with but I am exciting to see if she is able to maintain it as the decade progresses. ***1/2

One of the better sub-10 minute matches you'll ever see. Yagi's ability to apply cross armbreakers from virtually any position is just amazing, and Asari continues to impress in a way that I hope we see a lot more of her in the years ahead. I don't recall her being an enormous standout in the 90s, but she has a real confidence here, and her high-flying offense is as good as just about anyone's in wrestling. ****

• 1 month later...

Fun match between two underrated Joshi pros. Yagi's career was littered with three-star matches like this. She had a spectacular all round game and demonstrated it again here. Asari rising from the ashes of Joshi's late 90s fall is impressive. She's managed to make herself seem relevant in a down period for Joshi puroresu. Full credit to Chapparita Asari.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Chapparita ASARI vs. Hiromi Yagi

This was an entertaining sub 10 minute showcase match. The start with the slap exchange was awesome and from there onward they kept the crowd going as Yagi hit a crazy dive from the top rope to the floor.

Yagi as a great looking throw and here she follows it up with an armbar which is something you would expect in a Ronda Rousey finish from when he had her streak in the UFC going. Also her countering a Michinoku Driver to a leg lock was nice.

The finishing stretch was pretty cool and felt like an ideal finish for this match as Chaparita hits her Sky Twister Press which seems like the type of spot that would work being placed on a card full of Jr.’s.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-04-09-Michinoku Pro-Super J Cup] Chapparita Asari vs Hiromi Yagi