Pro Wrestling Only

2/27 Observer Notes

Strummer

Taken from DVDVR:

Re: No Way Out:

-Changes were made at the PPV about how to handle the Guerrero-Mysterio-Orton storyline. Vickie Guerrero was supposed to be given a script for her segments, but at the day of the show Bruce Pritchard nixed it and just told Vickie to act natural and say what she thinks would be appropriate within the storyline.

-Boogeyman tried using his OVW gimmick of taking big steps before hitting his finisher with the crowd chanting B-O-O-G-E-Y-M-A-N along with each step, but it wasn't explained on TV, so no one chanted it and as Boogey realized this, he stopped doing it and just hit his finisher.

Re: Johnny Grunge:

-One of the more morbid jokes among wrestlers that was going around prior to Grunge's death, was with all the recent deaths in wrestling, the fact that Johnny was alive proved that it was the 'roids and not the lifestyle that killed you.

-Fans in '94 WON voting placed Public Enemy slightly behind Misawa & Kobashi and Guerrero & Art Barr in tag geam of the year category

-Johnny was 400 pounds at the time of Hardcore Homecoming, but recently started losing weight as he became worried about his health, and specifically talked about how no one will take care of his two kids if he dies.

Re: Dave's stab at humor

-Meltzer attempted to do a parody of Cheney shooting a guy by doing a segment where he pretends Ace shot Finkel in the face, with the common thread being that both men are VPs, and how McMahon would handle the crisis vs. Dubya. This went on for half a page and was brutally unfunny and fantastically fucktarded.

Re: New Japan woes

-Brock vs. Akebono is the potential future main event program, although some believe they should tag as a monster team first. The two guys recently worked against each other in the main event tag team match at Sumo Hall that didn't draw well. Brock no sold Riki Choshu (Ake's tag partner) to a big pop, and then Ake no sold Lesnar's offense to a bigger pop. But, the show per Dave was considered a disappointment.

Re: TNA

-Jackie Gayda will doing a story where due to the explosive contents of the tape that she wants hidden, she will become the servant of JJ's faction with Gail Kim treating her like a crap, with Gayda eventually turning on them for a pop.

-Raven is being held off from TV not due to storyline reasons, but due to complaining about TNA, with management trying to make examples out of people recently and trying to enforce zero-tolerance policy.

-Sean Waltman was not booked due to appearing with MTV's promotion in LA

-Morgan and Modest did not look good in their debut and there is no interest in bringing them in for a second time

-Dutch Mantell nixes the idea bringing any talent from Puerto Rico that works for IWA, since Dutch is an ally of WWC. This causes glitches when TNA bookers try to get talent from IWA, only to have Dutch and JJ kill the deal at the last second

-Samoa Joe is trying to get a deal where he would get paid a set salary per week, not a per show fee.

-Jeff Hardy is not fired, or fined, but is not being used because he no showed several PPVs and tapings

WWE:

-Vince thinks the late '70s to mid '80s was the most creative time for him in the business and due to fond memories is trying to get wrestlers he worked with during that time into the Hall of Fame:

-Blackjack Mulligan

-Tony Atlas

-Blackjack Lanza

-AWA guys to help promote DVDs and because 'Mania is in Chicago.

-Supposedly, only wrestlers that no longer work are supposed to elligible for Hall of Fame. Although Orton, Hogan, and Piper are obvious exceptions to this. This is why there is some internal debate on whether or not to let Animal be inducted this year. Flair will probably be inducted next year, along with Dusty.

-The dialogue from the Mickie James "Single White Female" skit on RAW was taken directly from police depositions Vince, witnesses and alleged victim made about the groping charge at the tanning salon.

-Jim Ross was doing promotional work for WWE in OK for house shows and was asked several times why is he working for WWE when he is supposed to be fired. The company is now looking for a storyline to un-fire Ross to give him kayfabe explanations for these situations

-In OVW, the tag team of Snuka's son and the guy that looks like Andrew Dice Clay (not really, but that is the reason he is being booked) which was called The Throwbacks, then Super Guys, will now be called Untouchables. (Tom's Note: They are still not funny)

-Everyone involved with Dancing with Stars is telling Stacy that wrestling is beneath her and she should not go back to WWE

-The Mexican promoter in charge of booking buildings and etc. for WWE in Mexico paid a flat fee to have WWE come in, paying them in advance and keeping all the revenue the shows actually generate. So the size of the houses WWE draws down there does not affect their bottom line.

-Meltzer attempted to do a parody of Cheney shooting a guy by doing a segment where he pretends Ace shot Finkel in the face, with the common thread being that both men are VPs, and how McMahon would handle the crisis vs. Dubya. This went on for half a page and was brutally unfunny and fantastically fucktarded.

After listening to the Jim Cornette-Percy Pringle shoot where they talk about ribs and how horribly Finkel is treated, that's probably what Melz was trying to reference by using him in a Cheney parody. It was sad to hear Percy talk about how sometimes Fink would be in tears because people would be absolutely brutal towards him since they know he'll never quit because he loves the business so much.

Guest Cam Chaos

After listening to the Jim Cornette-Percy Pringle shoot where they talk about ribs and how horribly Finkel is treated, that's probably what Melz was trying to reference by using him in a Cheney parody. It was sad to hear Percy talk about how sometimes Fink would be in tears because people would be absolutely brutal towards him since they know he'll never quit because he loves the business so much.

Whoa. Shit. Really? Goddamn.

Considering how long Fink has served the WWE and what he has endured from tuxedo matches to being shaved bald... er you'd think he'd get a bit more respect and have more clout. Then again, same could be said for Jim Ross I guess.

Guest Bruiser Chong

Amen. I'm watching Macho Madness right now and his declaration of Savage being the new champ at WM IV has his heart and soul behind it. What are some examples of Fink's treatment?

She hasn't completely replaced him, he still does the big PPVs. I simply cannot imagine a WrestleMania main event winner not getting announced by Fink.

My personal Fink moment is him announcing HBK the winner and new champ after the Iron Man match. Shawn sells it like it wasn't offical until Fink says so.

Guest Cam Chaos

I find the fact Vince has such a hard on to try villify his accuser by using Mickie as a proxy to be somewhat alarming, especially since it could lead to a defamation of character suit if the woman's legal team jumps on this.

Guest savagerulz

I hate to sound like an asshole but anything regarding Johnny Grunge really doesn't interest me. He was a terrible worker, who proved that he was just part of a hot gimmick once he left ECW and wasn't protected by the great booking and push anymore. He just had nothing good going for him at all really and was the typical example of over rated protected ECW workers who were made to look a million times better than they were before they left the promotion and got found out. He's dead, doesn't suddenly make him a great talent or a legend. He was neither.

Spectacle wise Brock Vs Akebono could be interesting, but as a match it would be awful. Akebono Vs anyone is terrible, but if they build slowly and get the booking right then it has potential to draw.

The Gayda stuff doesn't sound that interesting.

Glad Raven's being held off tv for that reason. TNA needs to look professional and it needs to treat the bigger stars in the same way it does it's lesser ones.

If Joe wants that type of deal, they should give it to him. They should give that guy whatever he asks for. He's the man to build their promotion around long term.

Hardy's not fired? Shame. He doesn't know how to work and has no charisma.

The Blackjack's in a HOF I'm keen on, Atlas too. Was always a Tony Atlas fan and if you go back far enough he was hugely entertaining.

Personally, does it mater when they go in? We all know Flair's obviously going in, Dusty makes sense too, Animal as well I guess although most of LOD's best work was outside the WWE (but then same goes for Dusty and Flair so no problem as it's definitely not a WWE exclusive HOF). If they're going in, have them go in. It's about the most interesting thing Animal could possibly be doing at Mania anyway. To be fair, if he can't go in while still working, stop him working. He's terrible.

I wonder if Tony Atlas in the HOF would include Rocky Johnson too, since they were the first black tag team champions, and we all know Vince would like a certain special someone back to induct him.

I've seen a few Akebono matches, and he's not that terrible. Yeah, he's a workrate freak's worst nightmare but he's like Japan's version of Yokozuna (which is ironic on many levels). Sumo is still respected in Japan, so he has the instant cred to challenge the champion too.

I thought Raven was taking time off because he was hiding a medical problem from TNA because he didn't want to fuck up their booking?

Guest savagerulz

Hardy's not fired? Shame. He doesn't know how to work and has no charisma.

Has no charisma? You're joking, right? :huh:
You've heard the guy on the mic, right? He's bland as hell. He just has stupid colored hair and dumb makeup and plays to the kids. He's not charismatic in his mannerisms, or his ring presence, or his mic work. Not at all. That "charismatic enigma" thing always made me laugh as he has none of it.

Atlas and Johnson would make sense as it's them with the tag titles would be the one thing I'm guessing most WWF fans might have a chance of remembering Atlas for, as they pushed the whole Rocky Johnson thing a lot when Rocky Maivia debuted.

Heh. You got me there. However in all seriousness, Jeff has charisma. I hate it when people misunderstand the concept of charisma in wrestling. They think charisma means Rock style overness with mic skills. It doesn't have to be. Benoit is HIGHLY charismatic, but you'd never know it with some people's definition.

I'm interested in this. What exactly have people done to Finkel?

The one rib Percy talked about is how they had Fink tape a skit with the Bushwackers where they were all eating sardines. They kept making them do retakes because the sardines were making Howard sick (the Bushwackers ate that kind of stuff for real and it didn't bother them). By the end of the taping, Fink was barfing but he never refused to do it because he just liked the business so much he'd never say no to anyone. His extreme willingness to be a team player combined with the knowledge he would never get mad and quit was the starting point for endless ribs.

Cornette didn't go into details of what happened, but he said he's seen Howard in tears as a result of some of the shit that would be done to him.

Spectacle wise Brock Vs Akebono could be interesting, but as a match it would be awful. Akebono Vs anyone is terrible, but if they build slowly and get the booking right then it has potential to draw.

New Japan is so far down the toilet that even if they built it up well I doubt it would draw. They only half filled Sumo Hall with their tag match, so I doubt a singles match would sell it out.