Pro Wrestling Only

What are you watching?

Guest KingPK

I just watched a Steamboat/Kernodle v The Koloffs tag match. Just a well worked tag match with tons of heat. Don Kernodle really was a solid worker. He has had his share of really stellar matches.

I agree on Kernodle. One thing that really frustrated me is that he was treated as this out-of-nowhere underdog who didn't really have much of a career when Crockett started on TBS when just two years earlier, he was involved in one of the greatest tag feuds in the history of the territory and was consistently put in a main event position. How quickly they forget.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest savagerulz

Andre vs Hogan - Wrestlemania IV

It was amazing how much more mobile Andre was in this match than the famous Andre/Hogan WM III match. Andre drops headbutts onto a prone Hogan then gets up under his own power. I don't really remember this time in Andre's career being this way...I guess he had one last period of mobility before it all went to shit again. Because Haku basically carried their tag team near the end.

Another noteworthy thing was what Hogan was good at doing --

1. Selling his own pain (though his bumps suck. I mean, they are really bad. He rarely if ever bumps clean, he usually does this pussy rolling thing to his back...strange because he bumps often and well against Warrior in Wrestlemania VI.)

2. Making Andre look formidable.

3. Finding a way to adapt his offense and make it look credible against the massive Andre. Hogan throws great chops and moves his feet well. Not quickly, but Hogan did understand where to put himself in a wrestling ring.

I also watched a DVD full of Andre the Giant stuff. It's really interesting to see Andre work heel in his prime in Japan. He really was a great heel when he played one, both there and in the WWF. Fucking scary faces. He not only no sold when appropriate, he always looked pissed off doing it...not that "I'm too cool to sell" horseshit that wrestlers usually do, but "did you just hit me, you motherfucker?!?!"

It was a good mix of comedy stuff (Andre versus multiple guys, doing the rowboat spot shit, or sitting on a dead pile of guys) brutal stuff (bloodbaths against Abdullah) and stuff I had always heard about but never seen. (Him versus "Big Cat" Ernie Ladd). Ladd, by the way, was great to watch. Kind of Brody esque in that he was really mobile for such a legit big guy.

I'm watching Jerry Lawler win the AWA title from Curt Hennig, 1988.

Lawler's awesome punching + Curt's awesome (over)selling = greatness.

The match is in Memphis, so Curt knows he's going to be booed like Satan and just goes balls-out heel. As good as his WWF work was, I'd have to say this is one of the best matches of his that I've seen.

It really shows why Lawler's managed to have a 30+ year career almost free of serious injury, everything he does has a purpose and he makes his bumps mean something. When he does his version of Hulking Up (taking down the strap) the crowd pops like it's MSG in 1984 at a Hulk Hogan match.

To top it off it has Lance Russell on commentary, who if I had the choice, would call every wrestling match ever. I just love his style, he sounds just folksy enough without sounding like a rube, yet at the same time he's not the stereotypical JR-like overselling announcer.

Just finished watching a Flair/Jumbo match from 78.The match was for Jumbo's U.N title. This match had some really cool stuff in it. Jumbo performs a gut wrench over the head suplex on Flair. I was like holy shit. I even went back on the DVD to make sure my eyes weren't decieving me. Flair takes a front bump over the ring post that looked awesome. He sold his arm and Jumbo did some arm work on Flair. Jumbo won the first fall with a belly to back suplex. I personally would have had the finish with the gut wrench because that looked like death. Flair eventually gets the upperhand in the 2nd fall and just absolutely destroys Jumbo's leg. Eventually, Jumbo falls prey to Flair's Figure 4. The camera gets a great shot of the figure 4 where you can really see the #4 in the maneuver. In the 3rd fall Flair continues to work on the leg until Jumbo score with a small package off the figure 4. Overall, this was apretty entertaining match. Both guys would have better matches with each other over the years, but this was a terriffic start.

Just saw Kobashi vs. Hansen (4/16/93) for the first time. Really well paced match with excellent selling by both. Good arm work by Kobashi, good desperation comebacks by Hansen, eventually leading to Kobashi taking a big ass whipping. Finish was back and forth for a bit, before Kobashi looked like he might just eek it out. Then, while attempting a shoulder tackle from the second rope, Hansen tore his head off with a lariat. Great finish, great match, especially considering it was a house show. Not quite as good as their July match, but it definitely showed these two would work well together. ****1/4