Pro Wrestling Only

What are you watching?

Guest KingPK

Guest Bruiser Chong

IIRC, the Bossman/Dibiase angle took place in February of 1990. He was still a heel when he took on Duggan at the Royal Rumble that year, but I believe the angle took place mere weeks after.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched the Classic Lucha 01/27/84 disc just released by Alfredo, and there are three very great, very different matches on the DVD, two of which I'd consider MOTYCs.

First match is Ringo Mendoza, Hombre Bala & Gran Cochisse v El Supremo, Enfermo Jr & Talisman. I can think of at least a half dozen comparisons I could make to other matches here, but the first one I want to make is the Can-Ams/Footloose match from AJPW on 6/5/89. The reason I make that comparison is that I think both matches have so many great aspects that pretty much anyone will be able to find something they like from it. Extremely accessible. Daredevil spots that look great in 2006 that were out of this world in 1984. Really great build, with one of the technicos (unfortunately, I couldn't quite figure out who was who on each team) debating his conscience on whether or not he should punch out his rivals to spare his partner and teasing throughout the match what he would do. And everyone who thinks there are no faces in peril in lucha libre should really take a look at this match, because there's definitely one here, and he's covered in blood and repeatedly struggles to make the hot tag. Really Portland-esque, with all the wild bumping, pier-six brawls here and there, and the long match taking place in the intimate atmosphere. Fantastic match. I've seen enough from '84 worldwide to safely say that this is a top five match for the year without question.

Next up was Tony Salazar, Halcon Ortiz & Cien Caras v El Satanico, Colosso Colosetti & Herodes in another great match that isn't as blowaway as the matches it's sandwiched between, but it's that way by design. More of a blueprint for the Michinoku Pro matches of 1996-1997 than anything in terms of comedy, selling and match layout.

Finally, there's Manuel Cota v Americo Rocca and I had no idea what to expect since I'd heard nothing really about either guy. 70s AJPW finds its way to Mexico and a brilliant match ensues. Lots of great matwork throughout the entirety of the match, mixed in with some great high-flying stuff toward the end. Billy Robinson would be proud of this one. Cota is really a prototype of Bryan Danielson; they're almost the exact same. Rocca reminds me of a better Tito Santana, at least in this match, mixing in servicable selling and comebacks with some really spirited matwork.

Great stuff! I love the variety presented in one show.

Guest Local Jobber R
Lucha Espectacular 2 (1997) commercial tape from Gold Mex Films. The back of the tape case is kind of misleading with the match listing since the first 3 matches are not listed. The first match on the tape is Konan vs Rey Misterio, Sr. from Japan's FMW company. The funny thing about this match is early on Konan starts working a deathlock leg submission move but has no idea how to execute it which has the front row laughing at him.

Eddy Guerrero & Art Barr v El Hijo del Santo & Octagon - AAA 11/05/93

Wow. Unbelievable, blowaway match. I'd put this way ahead of the WWC match, which I love as well, but this is completely balls-out and heated, and the pace they manage to maintain for 45 minutes is incredible. It's been said that the WWC match would work in any environment because it could also be watched as a great American or Japanese tag, but I think that rings even more true for this match. How great is it? I'll say this. Lots of great matches happened in '93, many of which I need to see again. But I think this is better than the Misawa/Kobashi v Kawada/Taue Real World Tag League final just under a month later. Everyone should see this. Beautiful.

• 3 weeks later...

08/21/86 - Dump Matsumoto v Itsuki Yamazaki (AJW)

10/10/86 - Dump Matsumoto v Lioness Asuka (AJW)

I may have nightmares about Dump Matsumoto tonight.

I wish I was kidding. These matches are unbelievably emotional and they're so basic that it's no wonder the audience understands exactly what's going on. If someone told me Dump Matsumoto was the greatest heel of all time, I'd be inclined to believe them. I've NEVER seen a heel so menacing -- just from these two matches -- someone who's mean just because she feels like being mean. And mean is an understatement. I'm sure at the time, all the screaming girls in the audience were wondering exactly what it was going to take to stop this disgusting bully, and it looked like nothing could be done, because she had so much backup and they were tougher than anyone else. These two matches are like Mid South specials with the volume turned up about, oh, 10,000 notches. My take from watching these two matches is that Dump's matches resemble the big fight scenes in movies far more than they do traditional wrestling matches. So unique and captivating. Dump is going to place very highly on my final list.

Been watching some stuff lately

3 or 4 really dissapointing matches but I'm only here to talk positive

Jamie Noble vs Roderick Strong -- The starting's kind of eh but this really picks up towards the end and ends up being one of if not the best ROH match I've ever seen. Not too many people agree with but I think Noble's the best wrestler ROH ever had.

Eddie vs Bradshaw Cage Match -- Very good, one of Eddie's better matches in the WWE.

Kerry Von Erich vs Ric Flair WCCW cage match with Hayes as an additional reff

THis was great and it's matches like this that make me rethink my rankings for the best wrestlers ever. For anyone who tires of the Ric Flair formula watch this match because the bout breaks out of it.

Flair has great mannerisms in the ring here which drag you into the match and Von Erich was no slouch here either in this department. In fact, a lot of the greatness of this bout is due to Von Erich. He does all sorts of neat stuff like punching away at Flair's knee and concentrating on attacking Flair's bloody head. And his selling after getting hit with the steel cage door is terrific. Reccomended match and hopefully this will be part of the deathvalley nomination list.

I have a feeling that after enough World Class footage is compiled that World Class will get its own category. Too much good stuff to ignore.

Speaking of Kerry-Flair matches, just watched the Kerry-Flair title change from Japan last night. This match is another one you can chalk up to good Kerry-Flair matches. Much much better than the Kerry win in Texas Stadium which felt rushed and almost a Cliffs notes version of Kerry-Flair. The thing I am loving about the Kerry-Flair series is that each match seems appropriate for the time and setting. The early matches from '82 are Flair, the veteran champion showing up the popular green youngster who is talented enough to think he could score the upset. The 1984 matches show a more experienced Kerry taking it to the champ and even taking the belt off of him. the 1985 Mid South matches show both wrestlers on equal footing and there is much more give and take between the two even though Flair leaves with the belt everytime. Just a wonderful series of matches.

I have a feeling that after enough World Class footage is compiled that World Class will get its own category. Too much good stuff to ignore.

Speaking of Kerry-Flair matches, just watched the Kerry-Flair title change from Japan last night. This match is another one you can chalk up to good Kerry-Flair matches. Much much better than the Kerry win in Texas Stadium which felt rushed and almost a Cliffs notes version of Kerry-Flair. The thing I am loving about the Kerry-Flair series is that each match seems appropriate for the time and setting. The early matches from '82 are Flair, the veteran champion showing up the popular green youngster who is talented enough to think he could score the upset. The 1984 matches show a more experienced Kerry taking it to the champ and even taking the belt off of him. the 1985 Mid South matches show both wrestlers on equal footing and there is much more give and take between the two even though Flair leaves with the belt everytime. Just a wonderful series of matches.

So what are your favourite of the bunch?

For me, I think this match is gonna be tough to beat because at points it reminded me of some of the elements of the Rocky fights and Hokuto/Kandori.

Just thinking aloud, one of the things I loved about this match was that I thought it was over after Von Erich got hit with the steal door but yet it went on for awhile afterwards.

Their match from St. Louis is another really strong one between the 2. I have about either 9-11 of their match ups on DVD and they all range from good to excellent. Kerry's win for the title was the worse of the bunch, but still had tons of heat. The reason that match is the worst is because they didn't get enough time.

I just watched Roberts/Dibiase in the WWF @MSG. I think the date was December of 89. The match was a no DQ/Virgil is barred from ringside. What a great match. I feel it was better than the match that was on the DVDVR best of the 80's in the WWF match. I even think it's slightly better than the match between the 2 off the Barnett Mid-South disks which was an awesome match. The psychology in the match was really good. You had Jake work over Dibiase's arm, while Dibiase worked over Jake's neck. They worked these body parts to perfection. Dibiase even gives the piledriver to Jake. Jake even goes to the 2nd rope and performs a flying knee lift to Dibiase. Just really awesome stuff with 2 really smart workers.

I just watched a handheld of Flair/Ronnie Garvin 3-24-86. Just another good match between the 2. The matches between these guys really don't get enough love. In this match they go close to 40 minutes with really good work all around.Ronnie Garvin is a really good worker who also doesn't get nearly enough respect. Sure, I just watched a match of his against Flair, but he has had a lot of really good matches with a variety of opponents over the years.

I just watched Flair/Adams 3/13/85. Pretty cool match with Adams as the freshly turned heel versus NWA champ Ric Flair. This is Texas and they usually hate Flair, but tonight he's the babyface and Adams is the dastardly heel. So Flair works a babyface style with some heel tendecies. The heat for the match was really hot. All due to the fresh dynamic involved. Plus getting the match with Flair is what Gary Hart promised Adams if he would allign himself with Hart. Flair busts out an airplane spin which I don't recall him ever doing. Both guys seem to be relishing the roles they are placed in the match. The 1st few minutes is just stalling and playing to the crowd which just makes the crowd even more into it. Overall just really cool stuff.

I just watched Flair/Adams 3/13/85. Pretty cool match with Adams as the freshly turned heel versus NWA champ Ric Flair. This is Texas and they usually hate Flair, but tonight he's the babyface and Adams is the dastardly heel. So Flair works a babyface style with some heel tendecies. The heat for the match was really hot. All due to the fresh dynamic involved. Plus getting the match with Flair is what Gary Hart promised Adams if he would allign himself with Hart. Flair busts out an airplane spin which I don't recall him ever doing. Both guys seem to be relishing the roles they are placed in the match. The 1st few minutes is just stalling and playing to the crowd which just makes the crowd even more into it. Overall just really cool stuff.

Yeah, I liked this one too. I think what I liked most about it is that the booking was really unappealing and the match seemed to want to fall apart, but both guys worked hard and salvaged it. Not a great match, but a really good one because of that aspect, and also because it's fun to see Flair as a babyface in WCCW, as I'm not sure that ever happened again before or after this match. Adams doesn't get enough credit -- I prefer Von Erichs/Dynamic Duo to Von Erichs/Freebirds as an overall feud just because Adams and Gino were such awesome heels. He also has the best superkick ever.

Watched some Kuniaki Kobayashi/Shiro Koshinaka match from NJ Classics last night. (I'll find the date later.) Kobayashi rocks, but Koshinaka is pretty horrible here. Nothing is more important to me than selling, and I love how Kobayashi creates the most perfect opening ever by grabbing his knee and laying on the ground, practically pointing at it, and Koshinaka doesn't even notice. So at this point, Kobayashi really takes charge of the match and says if Kosh won't lead, he's going to follow, and dominates the majority of the match. Laid out really nicely from that point, although I hated the flash pin at the end after Kobayashi was so dominant. I have a feeling that the match was supposed to go a different way, but that Kobayashi felt like he had to take control because his opponent wasn't up to snuff. Only barely a good match, which is a shame.

Kosh fell in my estimation after watching this match, but I think even more of his opponent than I did before. Kuniaki Kobayashi is not really someone people talk about when ranking NJ juniors, but I like him because he didn't lay out his matches in the typical NJ juniors style way, with lots of aimless matwork early on that has no bearing on the final minutes of the match, which is too often straight nearfalls where all the selling goes out the window, and he also doesn't have that annoying Otani habit of applying submission holds and voluntarily letting them go. More of a main event-style layout with NJ juniors spots.