Pro Wrestling Only

US Territories of the 70s/80s

sek69

Which 80s US territory do you like best?  

1. 1.

• Memphis
    • Georgia
    • Florida
    • Texas (World Class)
    • Mid-South/UWF
    • Portland (Pacific Northwest)
    • Southwest (Joe Blanchard)
    • Mid-Atlantic
    • St. Louis
    • Minneapolis/Chicago (AWA)
    • Capitol Sports (pre expansion WWWF)
    • Central States

Guest Mike Campbell

In the latter parts of the 1980's I'd probably put Continental as the best region in the country. Lots of decent workers and future big names, along with some great angles and feuds.

This is one of the rare cases where my being Canadian is a problem.  I followed Stampede, the Montreal Territory and of course Frank Tunney's Toronto office.

I'm Canadian too so I grew up with World Grand Prix Wrestling,the WWF, just a touch of NWA. and a couple of other Canadian organisations.

Stampede was my favourite territory when they were at their best even though their booking bothered me at times.

Guest DylanWaco

I chose Mid-Atlantic because I really like tag work alot and that was a tagcentric territory. Still I kinda wish I had chosen Memphis, because top to bottom their tv was the most enjoyable.

Guest Bruiser Chong

My exposure to the listed areas is pretty pathetic, but for the time being, I went with Mid-South. I've yet to see anything from them that was downright awful and the majority of the angles are great fun.

I'm Canadian too so I grew up with World Grand Prix Wrestling,the WWF, just a touch of NWA. and a couple of other Canadian organisations.

Stampede was my favourite territory when they were at their best even though their booking bothered me at times.

What...you mean putting the not so talented Hart family members over other more talented workers? :) Owen I always bought as the best in the promotion. Bruce? Not so much. And the other brothers? Yikes.

What...you mean putting the not so talented Hart family members over other more talented workers? :) Owen I always bought as the best in the promotion. Bruce? Not so much. And the other brothers? Yikes.

Well, at least Bruce wasn't nearly as bad as HHH political wise. The booking also had too many skullduggery match endings.

I'm not sure who I bought as the best in the promotion once the restart started. Owen was always spectacular at initial sight but I think Benoit was more conisistent match quality and had more juice on some of his moves. Wellington when he was on was as good as Owen and I think Johnny Smith's overall shtick surparassed Owen in 1988 though it's not too fair to compare since they were playing different roles(Owen was a better face than Smith). If it was up to me I probably would've booked Owen at the top too. He just had way too much "wow" factor as he was amazing.

Basserb I'm a big fan of too.

Owen, Benoit, Basserb, Johnny Smith, Hase and Wellington. I think it's pretty hard to rate one guy over another. It's like Benoit vs Eddie or Owen vs Bret.

I have become obsessed with the Mid South territory. So much so that I am thinking of starting a Mid South fan site.

I enjoy Memphis but while I think the angles are on par with what was going on in Mid South, the wrestling actually featured on the Mid South TV and Power Pro shows was better than the little wrestling shown on Memphis TV. In order to get some high quality matches, you have to find some commercial tapes or some arena footage and there isn't that much complete footage out there. I have also been loving the hell out of World Class lately. Part of it may be the memories it brings back as a kid. The other part is that I just enjoy the matches. Also, this was a company putting its marquee stars against each other week in and week out.

Guest Bruiser Chong

I have become obsessed with the Mid South territory. So much so that I am thinking of starting a Mid South fan site.

I enjoy Memphis but while I think the angles are on par with what was going on in Mid South, the wrestling actually featured on the Mid South TV and Power Pro shows was better than the little wrestling shown on Memphis TV. In order to get some high quality matches, you have to find some commercial tapes or some arena footage and there isn't that much complete footage out there. I have also been loving the hell out of World Class lately. Part of it may be the memories it brings back as a kid. The other part is that I just enjoy the matches. Also, this was a company putting its marquee stars against each other week in and week out.

I'm getting there. Until I got the Barnett set from you last summer, I'd never seen an ounce of Mid-South. It wasn't until recent weeks that I got a chance to sit down and really start checking the discs out, but I haven't been disappointed. It's lived up to the hype. I've always been a fan of the more polished WWF product (when they still had top-notch production values), but it's been a fairly easy transition watching Mid-South. It's still tough for me to sit through the real poor VQ matches, but everything else has been a snap.

Initially, I thought I'd get into the NWA stuff, but I've barely touched it because when I'm watching wrestling these days, it's Mid-South. I'm just amazed at how successful and what high quality the product was for a promotion that never had the gift of PPV.

So yeah, I've finally taken notice of all the Mid-South you've got and that's topping the wishlist for now, right up there with my WWF TV and arena shows :wacko:

Guest Mike Campbell

Mike, how much Continental do you own?

I've got two 6 hours compilations of CCW/CWF from 1987-88. As far as my regional footage goes, I think they're my all time favorites. It's loaded with great angles and feuds with the Stud Stable, Humongous w/ Downtown Bruno, Dr. Tom Prichard vs. Dirty White Boy (including the best angle of the whole year), The Nightmares, Eddie Gilbert w/ Paul E. and tons more.

Guest Mike Campbell

Would that be the (in)famous "domestic abuse" angle with DWB and the Dirty White Girl?

Yes. When DWG was sporting the black eye and begging Tom Prichard to help her, and then DWB attacked him, knocked down the entire set, hung him from the top rope, and cut his hair. Of course it was all an act by DWG.

VQ and Source?

Same source as that World Class stuff I sent you, Will. VQ varies a bit going from VG-G.

I went with World Class. They were white hot for a few years before going down the crapper. They had great babyfaces in the Von Erich Boys, and Iceman Parsons. Enough has been said on the Fabulous Freebirds. The Dynamic Duo were awesome heels as well.The heat in the hair match was phenomenal. With Gino and Adams snipping pieces of hair from all the babyfaces in the territory for a few months in the lead up to lead to losing their own hair was just awesome stuff. Adams was also a really good babyface also. They combined cool angles with strong matches.