Pro Wrestling Only

Anyone Still Get WWE PPVs?

Mad Dog

http://pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=18248&p=1

Chris Johnson sent this item. ... According to  Directv.com starting with One Night Stand all WWE PPV's will now be $39.95.

I just went and checked my onscreen guide for my cable (Comcast) and they have also raised the price of WWE PPVs to $39.95 so we just got socked with another price increase by WWE.  Funny how they haven't mentioned it on WWE.com isn't it?  With the current 60/40 split, that would mean WWE would get another two dollars per PPV.   They were making $14 a show and that number will jump to $16 under the new pricing.  So, a Wrestlemania that does 930,000 buys will clear them an extra $1.8 million dollars.   250,000 buys under the old pricing generated $3.5 million.  Now, WWE will make that on 218,750 buys so even if they lose some customers, they probably won't lose any revenue and if customers stay even, they make more money.

Ouch, I couldn't imagine paying $40 a pop for some of the crap they've been putting on PPV the last couple of years.

This will probably cause more sports bars and restaurants to stop showing PPVs, since their prices usually get raised as well when they do this.

WWE hasn't produced a PPV worthy of $40 in years, and even if they do the DVD will be out for half that price a few months later.

I have been picking up the PPVs on DVD when they are released from Netflix. I haven't paid for a show since WM 20 and even that was a split between friends. still, unless you have to experience the show live, just run over to Crazy Max and see who is shilling the PPV that week. You can usually pick it up a couple of days later for a few bucks. Just be aware of the guys who sends the discs in napkins.

Guest DylanWaco

I'm a criminal with a black box. Until cable goes full on digital I will never pay for a ppv, but will watch them all.

I usually only get Wrestlemania, if that, every year and catch the rest a few weeks or months later. If competition was still around, this just wouldn't happen because the other promotion would just respond by keeping their prices the same and taking shots at the other one for doing it on TV.

Guest teke184

Gee... and I thought *I* was getting fucked by actually buying the commercial DVDs despite most shows sucking.

At least I know what I'm getting, rather than someone paying 2-3 times that to gamble on them not fucking things up.

Guest teke184

I have been picking up the PPVs on DVD when they are released from Netflix. I haven't paid for a show since WM 20 and even that was a split between friends. still, unless you have to experience the show live, just run over to Crazy Max and see who is shilling the PPV that week. You can usually pick it up a couple of days later for a few bucks. Just be aware of the guys who sends the discs in napkins.

Also, there's apparently a few guys who send things covered in "special sauce", but I've been trying to put those threads out of my mind.

Guest Luds

Ouch, I couldn't imagine paying $40 a pop for some of the crap they've been putting on PPV the last couple of years.

Correction: I couldn't imagine paying for some of the crap they've been putting on PPV the last couple of years.

Guest KingPK

This will probably cause more sports bars and restaurants to stop showing PPVs, since their prices usually get raised as well when they do this.

WWE hasn't produced a PPV worthy of $40 in years, and even if they do the DVD will be out for half that price a few months later.

And I hear that they show PPVs on WWE 24/7 ($6/month) a few months after they first air anyway. So you get the same thing, only a few months late (no biggie) and $33.95 less/month (biggie)

Guest Some Guy

I just wait until the show comes out on DVD and buy it if I want it/know it's good. I bought WM 22 for $15 at Circuit City the other day. It comes with teh whole HoF ceremony and SNME from the week before. So I get two other shows with WM, no comercials and i can fast forward through the crap for $15, rather than paying $50 for the show live and having to sit through the "Playboy Pillow Fight" and other such nonsense.

Wal*Mart sells all the PPVs for $15.99 on DVD. Much better deal than $40, if you ask me.

That's all fine & dandy but part of the appeal of watching the PPV's is so that you're current with the storylines and outcomes of the matches. If you don't follow WWE weekly, yeah, it's a great solution. However, if you plan on watching Raw on Monday's, having to wait to watch the PPV for three months kinda sucks.