Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
Mad Dog

Comic books and Manga Thread

20 hours ago, Ricky Jackson said:

Ok, I'm officially back as a mega comic book fan after basically taking the previous decade off. The final nudge was signing up for Marvel Unlimited a few weeks ago. Holy fuck, what a service! I started by diving into the 70s, something I've thought about doing for years. I grew up in the 80s, and eventually read a ton of 60s Marvel, but the 70s was mostly a blind spot. Starting with Tomb of Dracula, Englehart's Captain America, Man-Thing, and Starlin's Captain Marvel (also reading scans of Kirby's The Demon). Having a blast!

Also dipping my toes into some new stuff, although just the retro type books that have come out in the last year or so, like Fantastic Four: Grand Design (telling the FF story from the beginning as if everything had been planned out from start to finish from day one, with cool Kirby-style indie art by Tom Scioli) and Spider Man: Life Story (telling the story from 1962 forward with the characters aging in real time, so Spidey is in his 70s by the end). Anyone else reading these? I plan on trying out some of the series @SomethingSavage recommended, specifically ones featuring old faves like Thor, FF, Captain America, etc. Also listening to a ton of comic book history pods lately.

Who needs wrestling? 

I've just started following My Marvelous Year from the beginning on Spotify. What other pods are out there, man? I'd absolutely be into giving some more a try.

Yeah, My Marvelous Year is one. Others I've been listening to...

The Epic Marvel Podcast: been listening to this one since the start. Each episode looks at a different Marvel Epic collection, which generally reprint runs that haven't been reprinted a ton (or at all) over the years, such as Englehart and Brunner's Dr. Strange, the "drunk Tony Stark" Iron Man, late-60s/early 70s Hulk, Master of Kung Fu, etc. Tons of episodes 

The Comics Canon: good show that looks at a different classic comic book each ep, ranging from Marvel and DC superheroes to indie titles and everything in between

Into the Weird: just started this one a few weeks ago. Alternates between looking at 70s Dr Strange and other " weird" 70s Marvel characters, like Ghost Rider, Morbius, Man Thing, etc 

Appreciate the recommendations, brutha. I jumped right into The Comics Canon today. The sheer variety in topics, time periods, and story arcs covered in their lineup looked refreshing to the year-by-year analysis I'm getting from My Marvelous Year.

I know you're a fan of the classic stuff. But if you ever get around to reading some of Hickman's Fantastic Four, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

49 minutes ago, Ricky Jackson said:

Plan on starting Hickman's Fantastic Four run soon. It's going to be my starting point for exploring the 2010s

It’s a great run. Much easier to devour than his Avengers run. Do Kieron Gillen’s Journey Into Mystery after that.

I think my favorite Hickman work has been East of West. 

Also, on the manga front, you can subscribe to Shonen Jump for $1.99 a month and get access to some extensive archives. The entire Dragon Ball series is on there and I think all of One Piece is. 

Is that the stuff he wrote as a kid with the Curt Swan pencils? That stuff is good. 

My daughter is super into Kimetsu no Yaiba at the moment like most Japanese kids. We have been watching the anime together on Netflix. Today I bought her the first volume of the manga. It's the first time she's really been into a manga or anime of any sort. I remember I was the same age when my father bought me my first proper comics. It was at the airport and I got a copy of Uncanny X-Men and Amazing Spider-Man. Needless to say, I was glad to follow in my father's footsteps. 

Yeah. I think Shooter was like 16-18 years old when he was doing a lot of these. I think a lot of those Shooter era Legion comics hold up really well. 

I couldn't remember exactly because I think he wad contributing ideas before he was writing ot full time. I know he came up with Karate Kid when he was 14.