Pro Wrestling Only

Can the Spirit Squad Be Salvaged?

Mad Dog

If they start portraying them as heels who Cheat To Win despite getting splattered by their opponents, that could get them Honky Tonk Man heat.

I'm really digging the Highlanders, so hopefully the feud between them and the Spirit Squad will help elevate both teams.

Guest The Metal Maniac

I really don't think they can at this point. They're booked in such a way that the FIVE of them aren't capable of taking out 1 or 2 guys, even when they run in during a match and get the jump on them.

They're jobbers with the tag titles. Which is sad, because I really like the Spirit Squad.

Guest savagerulz

Really it was time. I'm amazed they did it now rather than three months from now when seeing them would make us all pray for their deaths.

So I guess the Highlanders are winning the tag belts then.

I'd expect Johnny Jeter, Ken Doane, and Nick Nemeth to stick around and become solid mid card guys if not main eventers at some point. The other two might as well get the resume polished as WWE will be wishing them luck in their endeavors any day now.

Guest The Metal Maniac

Man, this company confuses the hell out of me.

They bring up 5 guys at once, at least 2-3 of which are supposed to be the future of the company, and they proceed to have them get killed every single week, and then when they're not that over because they get killed every single week, they break the team up.

If not for Mickie James, I don't think I'd have a single reason to watch RAW anymore.

Really it was time. I'm amazed they did it now rather than three months from now when seeing them would make us all pray for their deaths.

Too late!

Probably and that's a shame. Not that I dislike them, quite the opposite, but when is WWE going to learn that you don't put straps on rookies and new faces in their first week? Have them destroy jobbers and low to mid carders first!

Too late!

Probably and that's a shame. Not that I dislike them, quite the opposite, but when is WWE going to learn that you don't put straps on rookies and new faces in their first week? Have them destroy jobbers and low to mid carders first!
You have to have more than two regular tag teams in order to go over low to midcarders.

You have to have more than two regular tag teams in order to go over low to midcarders.

Certainly! And that is the problem with WWE. THe 2 brand system makes secondary divisions, such as tags, US and IC division too weak. If they stopped airing 25 minute Triple H vignettes, then you'd have more time to show wrestling.

As I've said before.  We'll be talking about this summer in an infamous manner 4-5 years from now.  These are just the first 5 victims in what will be a long line of burials done by DX.

That's utter nonsense, though, really. The Spirit Squad didn't exactly have a long shelf life and at least Doane will get a big push out of this and Jeter will likely get some kind of chance. The other three should be thankful they got as much as they did out of this run. After that, the only other people DX'll be working with is Vince & Shane and then they'll likely end the group.

Not beating anyone important, not doing any real damage to any individual, particularly seeing as the Spirit Squad is still relatively faceless. Once they're put in normal wrestling tights and stop dancing around like idiots people will forget who they were very quickly.

How can you say that? These guys are all the future of the company and they just got demolished in a match where 5 of them could barely touch DX. They might save Doane and maybe another guy but some of them are completely ruined from this. Your career in the WWF doesn't go upward after you lose to HHH or Michaels.

How can you say that?  These guys are all the future of the company and they just got demolished in a match where 5 of them could barely touch DX.  They might save Doane and maybe another guy but some of them are completely ruined from this.  Your career in the WWF doesn't go upward after you lose to HHH or Michaels.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that Nick Nemeth and Mike Mondo or Mitch are the future of WWE? Sorry, but no. Doane will be a star, Jeter has a really good shot and the rest of them will amount to very little. Not because HHH & Shawn squashed them, but because they're not very good or the type of guys that WWE like to push.

They will make Doane a star regardless and Jeter is talented enough but he's also small so who knows if they'll bother. This feud will have no long term negative effect on either of them and if anything the Nick Nemeths of this world should be grateful because they got to main event a PPV and get the pay-off that comes with that, which he would've never gotten otherwise and likely never will again.

While squashing them is sort of stupid, it admittedly also does have a short-term benefit if DX draws a big Summerslam buyrate against the McMahons. Can't believe I just typed that one.

Anyway, they'll be repackaged and it won't matter. Not a great decision or anything, but Warrior squashing HHH at Wrestlemania XII didn't kill his career. Of course, this is a little different, since it's on some type of bizarre cycle where they're doing the exact same show every single week right now, but this will be forgotten a month after the Squad breaks up. Sadly, everything in WWE is.

Unless it involves Matt Hardy.

:P

While squashing them is sort of stupid, it admittedly also does have a short-term benefit if DX draws a big Summerslam buyrate against the McMahons.

If that does happen, I can see someone else taking credit for it. ;)

Ah, Hogan. You know, it disappoints me that HHH and Hogan have never set out to sabotage each other and instead just try to steer clear of each other. The stories would be great, sort of like in 1998 when Nash mocked Hogan in a promo on Nitro and was taken off of PPV for two months.

Ah, Hogan. You know, it disappoints me that HHH and Hogan have never set out to sabotage each other and instead just try to steer clear of each other. The stories would be great, sort of like in 1998 when Nash mocked Hogan in a promo on Nitro and was taken off of PPV for two months.

Okay, I don't remember this. Do tell.

Who knows for sure if there was a direct connection, but Nash says there was. He was mocking the whole brother-cup-your-ear routine and said Hogan got upset about it and that's why he didn't work at Great American Bash '98 and Bash at the Beach '98. That was in an interview with I think WOW Magazine back in '99. Or it may have been one of the Prodigy chats or something he said on his website, I don't remember for sure.