Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-07-03-WWE-205 LIVE] Buddy Murphy vs Mustafa Ali (No DQ)

MoeTWrestling

One of the best 205 Live matches ever and the best main roster match of 2018. These guys were tied 1-1 in their feud and showed great chemistry before, but they took that chemistry and experience to a whole another level. They told a spectacular story with Ali battling back and refusing to give up. it was violent and played to the stipulation very well. Fantastic Match. ****1/2

If this was one a ppv, or even a Raw, it would go down as a complete classic. Unfortunately, it was on 205 Live, where crowds rarely care and people rarely watch. But man, they did a lot of very crazy stuff. The stepup dive off the chairs, the superplex, and the Spanish Fly off the barricade all really stand out. The stipulation never got in the way or felt shoehorned in. It all felt like a very natural story of oneupmanship between two guys that just needed to beat the other. Great stuff.

****1/2

Both Ali and Murphy are must watch wrestlers at this point to me, especially when they face each other. Ali might be the best babyface wrestler in the company in modern times. Murphy has just been a complete revelation since his call up. They have both had a series of great matches with other opponents, but it's pretty clear they are the perfect combo for 205 live great matches, and this is probably their finest work. Ali is jut a god damn bump freak. I've used the comparison before that Mustafali Ali to 205 Live is Paul London to 2003 RoH in terms of style and just insane bumping, and that is a gigantic compliment for one of the biggest London fans you will ever see. Murphy isn't QUITE the bump freak Ali is, but he in't that far off. I'd watch these guys wrestle 100 times, and I'd have faith that every time it would be better then the previous because, they keep doing it.

This was very good. Really good shine for Ali to start things off, followed by a very good Murphy control segment; really liked the chin/facelock stuff in particular. After that they introduce the gimmicks, and things get REAL physical. Overall I didn't like it as much as their first 2 singles matches, but it's one of the better WWE weapons matches I've seen in recent years. ***1/2

Enjoyable match, though I wouldn't go as high as many others. I really liked the way they used the stipulation - lots of inventive stuff using the stairs and the announce table, but also at the same time stuff that seemed quite natural (shame about the crowd being vocally disappointed that they didn't start smashing tables). Even the spanish fly, which is an inherently contrived move (and way overused right now, for my money), was incorporated in this very smooth way. The superplex off the stairs was a great visual and very unique. Having said all that, it did feel a bit overlong to me, and went for the "shocked face after kickout > this is awesome chant" thing a bit too much towards the end, which then resulted in what was a pretty cool finish feeling oddly underwhelming and sudden. It can be a problem, when you do so much stuff, to have the finish stand out from all the things that have been kicked out of already in the match. But yes, definitely more enjoyable than a lot of WWE gimmick matches in the last few years which, for me, have tended far too much towards the contrived stunt-show end of the spectrum.

Ali has become one of my favorite wrestlers, but Buddy Murphy is making a really strong case for MVP of 205 live (and might find his way onto my end of year top 20 or so).  This was right up there with Alexander/Murphy. Its strengths have more or less been covered and I agree, but for whatever reason the best 205 stuff has sort of capped at ****1/4 for me. I am not really sure what it is. Maybe it is my brain not doing well to shake off the clear B or C show treatment they are getting, but I think its something else. These matches are great, but I feel like there isn't quite the teeth and urgency that i want to see from something at the next level. Especially this match. All of the parts are there and I can't quite put my finger on it, but there just wasn't the intensity I sort of expect from two people at this point in their feud in a no holds barred match. Again, maybe this is just me, but I think as great as 205 live has been for a while now there is some exciting room for growth if they can add some organic fire and energy to the matches.

Despite Cedric being the CW champion, Ali is the clear franchise player of 205Live. Guy hasn't had a single match that hasn't dipped below "pretty good" level. And Buddy Murphy continues to prove he was the most underutilized talent in NXT not named Juice Robinson. Really like how they mixed their usual big moves with some pretty violent spots such as the Spanish Fly on the announce table (Holy no give Batman!) and the insane superplex off the stairs. Not only that, but you could REALLY feel the hatred between these two. Everything they did was done with the intention of not just winning the match, but to severely hurt their opponent. And major bonus points for the most creative steel stair spots I've ever seen.

Not just one of the best TV matches this year, but one of the best WWE matches this year. r****1/4-****1/2. 

Wouldn't say it's the best match ever in 205 Live history, but it's at least one of the best. I really liked how they treated this No DQ match much more different than your standard WWE weapons match as they focused on using steel steps as the only weapon in the match which led to some great spots. Still very physical and lots of brawling with both men looking great and a crazy finish for Ali to get his revenge and win the match, ****1/2.

• Loss changed the title to [2018-07-03-WWE-205 LIVE] Buddy Murphy vs Mustafa Ali (No DQ)