Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-07-16-NJPW-G1 Climax 28] Hangman Page vs Michael Elgin

MoeTWrestling

Page is proving that he is more than deserving of his spot with an absolute banger of a match with Elgin. Took some time for the crowd to get into it, but once they did, then the match took off. It was a great back and forth match with some great near falls toward the end. Gonna be an under the radar G1 match. ****

Page is someone who has been killing it all year with opportunity after opportunity, and this match wasn't any different. Very hard hitting match with lots of big moves. Elgin once again had my MOTN with his incredible offense to elevate his opponent. I hope this G1 is a tournament that really breaks out Page as a future star, ****1/4.

This was fine and actually better than what I expected. Still, it just very much felt like a match with a handful of cool moments surrounded by a bunch of nothing. The cool moments were certainly good and the striking in particular looked really stiff, but there was just so much that just felt "there". It also didn't help that they went nearly 20 minutes. Elgin hasn't been an interesting wrestler for over a year and Page is just extremely average to me. Still, they could have done a lot worse.

As some others have said, this felt like two guys doing a bunch of stuff without much rhyme or reason to it. Some of it looked cool and it was overall entertaining, but it really did come off as just a series of "sequences" or "exchanges" lined up in a row, and they ran through them in order. Overall it was perfectly diverting but I didn't care about any of it.

• Loss changed the title to [2018-07-16-NJPW-G1 Climax 28] Hangman Page vs Michael Elgin
  • 2 weeks later...

The crowd really got into this late and there's no denying both guys worked extremely hard, but this came off like a pastiche of every "super indy" cliche from the past 15-20 years rather than any kind of coherent match. There was no real structure or story told, other than "let's do a bunch of stuff".

I've been a big fan of Page, aside from his shooting star shoulder block to the floor, for years back when he was a relative unknown working the indies here in the Southeast. I think he'll be the breakout guy of this tournament. 

Meanwhile, I actually think Elgin's weight loss hinders him. I much preferred his bulkier, Dr. Death 2.0 style work in NJPW to what he is doing now. Now he is flying around and doing all the stuff other people do. He has lost what made him unique in NJPW. I would have much preferred to see Elgin throwing around Page in a power vs. speed type matchup than the moves vs. moves battle we saw here.