Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-07-25-WWE-NXT] Aleister Black vs Tomasso Ciampa

SmartMark15

Ciampa is just a remarkable bastard, isn't he? The guy just goes out of his way to embody as much of what being a heel is as possible. Not only does he play dirty and aggressive, but he's also a coward. Not only will try to DDT you onto concrete, he'll also grab the tights. And let's not forget GRABBING THE TOP ROPE ON AN ABDOMINAL STRETCH. That's the kind of classic old school heel heat that I can really get behind. It's a spot I don't even see that often anymore which makes it stand out all the more brightly. Black for his part played a decent babyface champion walloping the dastardly heel with some great kicks. Enjoyed his back selling in the early half of the match but that faded away as time went on down the stretch. The last half is dedicated to Ciampa just pulling every trick out of the book possible to get the win. Gargano's involvement was limited but a necessary step based on what the tapings show the direction they're going in is. I thought it only added to the match especially considering how big the pop for Gargano's attempted save was. Overall, a great title match featuring the best heel working in the world right now.

****1/2

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [2018-07-25-WWE-NXT] Aleister Black vs Tomasso Ciampa

What I really loved in this is that an eye poke, which usually doesn't get enough love or proper use this days, is what essentially buys time to Ciampa before Gargano tries to save the day.

Black's offense was on point, too. I'd say his kicks never looked better than they did in this match.

Another highly praised NXT match that was pretty great, but I wouldn't say it was TakeOver main event quality if I had to make a comparison. Black was pretty fantastic in this match as he was all over the place hitting some great strikes here and there. Ciampa was alright with his offense, his control segment wasn't super exciting, but his heel work was definitely on point. The overbooking with Gargano at the end was unnecessary, but I get the purpose so it makes sense I guess. Very fun match with a shocking(?) title change in the end, ****1/4.

Ciampa is untouchable right now. He is - in my eyes - the best heel in wrestling and it isn't really close.  I feel like him playing old school heel is leaving a lot in the reserves, so he can really unfold as a character/wrestler for some time. I like that Ciampa's game plan really forces Black to push the pace and chase a bit (which I think helps justify his pace in general). I didn't LOVE the finish of the match but part of that is me sort of tiring of the Gargano/Ciampa stuff right now.  However it makes perfect sense, works in their storyline, and establishes NXT shows as must watch (which they sort of needed - they have been good, but felt kind of predictable lately).

• 2 weeks later...

This was a great title match, a step below the elite NXT matches but a damn fine TV match. Both guys looked great, Ciampa continues to deliver some career-best work and Black showed some great fire and aggresion here. Liked the trading of taunts, and some of the near falls, like Ciampa’s roll up on Black Mass, were timed perfectly. It’s a shame the 3 way fell through due to injury, think it would have been fresher than running Ciampa vs Gargano for the third straight event, in what will likely be a fantasic match but eill seem a bit stale at this point. Excellent TV title match that you should go out of your way to check out.

****1/4