Pro Wrestling Only

Random Newsletter Stuff

DeanColes1987

36 minutes ago, sek69 said:

This has always been a mystery to me, what exactly happened at the end of Adonis' WWF run. Obviously he came back and did the match with Piper, only to disappear immediately afterward and ended up in the AWA.  

I've never heard/read anything definitive on it other than the suggestion the Adorable gimmick was punishment for him gaining weight, only for him to gain even more weight afterward and that was the "irresponsibility" mentioned. 

It's been a mystery that I've always wanted to know the answer to but the main players involved either passed away or probably wouldn't even talk.  George Steele in his 1986 Timeline KayfabeCommentaries shoot kind of insinuated that Adonis really liked the gimmick because of how much heat it gave him (though this could just mean that Adonis was indeed being punished but he saw it as an opportunity to get easy heat), though the story I've always heard is that Vince gave it to Adonis as, indeed, punishment for being irresponsible about his weight, fitness, and attitude.  Adonis was shot up to upper midcard/house show main event status pretty fast after being given the "Adorable" gimmick by being matched up against Hogan in the late Spring/early Summer, including a match that aired on PRISM for the Spectrum.  Heck, even in early 1986 he was doing matches with Hogan.  I wonder if Vince appreciated how into the gimmick Adonis was and saw it as a new spring in his step.

I also wonder if losing the backstage fight to Dan Spivey in the Summer of '86 already made him lose some of his tough guy luster in Vince's eyes and attitude problems or whatever gave Vince the chance to suspend him or cut him loose for a little while.  Clearly Titan was ready and prepared for a backup because Piper was almost flawlessly transferred into feuding with Muraco and Orton since they were already henchmen for the Adonis attack anyway and there was intrigue in two former best friends fighting each other on the house show circuit.

Adonis' entire run from 1985-87 was a fascinating enigma.  Like, what did "Relax with Trudi" mean?  Also they filmed a squash with him and even a ton of local post-WM III house show promos with him so it sounds like they were going to keep going with him even after he lost the Hair Match, but then he just kinda gets fired again for what I think Dave said was general poor conduct.  Either way, it's really fun and interesting to speculate about it.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always heard that the suitcase with "Relax with Trudi" was a reference to what ended up the Adorable gimmick (as in it was an alter ego/split personality he kept the gear for in the case), but that might have been just a retcon after the fact. 

I believe he was at the first taping after WM3, but whatever happened to get him fired must have happened pretty quickly after that since I don't recall seeing him again on WWF TV. The only time I recall seeing a photo of him bald was in WWF Magazine which would have went to press well beforehand.

My personal theory was always that Vince was pissed that he took a gimmick meant as punishment and not only ran with it but got it over. Which would be funny if that was the case because Dusty would end up doing the same thing a few years later. 

46 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I always heard that the suitcase with "Relax with Trudi" was a reference to what ended up the Adorable gimmick (as in it was an alter ego/split personality he kept the gear for in the case), but that might have been just a retcon after the fact. 

I heard the same thing but had the same theory, a retcon.  They did a lot of random stuff with him, including giving him Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" as his theme for a handful of TV syndicated show matches.  They started with the "Relax with Trudi"/S&M gear stuff and then slowly transitioned into random stuff like having him say "I hope everyone has a gay new year" during the year end 1985 promos for syndicated TV.

50 minutes ago, sek69 said:

My personal theory was always that Vince was pissed that he took a gimmick meant as punishment and not only ran with it but got it over.

Same as mine as well, especially with Steele's comments on his 1986 Timeline.

13 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Clearly Titan was ready and prepared for a backup because Piper was almost flawlessly transferred into feuding with Muraco and Orton since they were already henchmen for the Adonis attack anyway and there was intrigue in two former best friends fighting each other on the house show circuit.

Adonis' entire run from 1985-87 was a fascinating enigma.  Like, what did "Relax with Trudi" mean?  Also they filmed a squash with him and even a ton of local post-WM III house show promos with him so it sounds like they were going to keep going with him even after he lost the Hair Match, but then he just kinda gets fired again for what I think Dave said was general poor conduct.  Either way, it's really fun and interesting to speculate about it.

They had Muraco and Orton come out in kilts on the same taping as the Adonis attack so I'm guessing they knew Adonis was gone for a while and his involvement in the beatdown was so they had something to go back to when they inevitably brought him back. Piper vs. Muraco/Orton not drawing at the house shows probably made his return happen faster though.

Adonis post WM III would have been feuding with Beefcake before getting fired for "flagrantly violating the dress code," "Gross Misbehaviour" or "Unreliability" depending on Dave's WWF source.

One of Dave's main talking points in 86/87 is that for all the time and effort they put behind pushing the "Adorable" gimmick Adonis just didn't draw at the house shows against Hogan and Piper.

"The situation with William Perry and Steve McMichael is this. There was consideration given to making them a tag team figuring it would get notoriety and press, but they weren't going to work Owen & Yokozuna at SummerSlam. The idea was possibly to debut them against the Heavenly Bodies, since the Bodies aren't being booked and all four could go to the gym and put together a passable match since Bodies are such good workers. Talks broke down because Perry wanted a guaranteed contract and WWF wasn't willing to change its steadfast policy against guaranteed contracts, particularly for someone who has no proven ability to be marketable in this environment or be able to work, not to mention he had a weight problem his entire football career with a million dollar contract so how would he handle his weight for 20% of the money in pro wrestling, particularly since Perry had made it clear he didn't want to go on the road and only wanted to do big shows. McMichael, whose NFL career is over (Packers released him), was willing to do whatever WWF wanted to get in pro wrestling but wound up with WCW since they came up with a plan to use him faster." - Aug 7, 95 Observer

"12-28 in MSG look for Albano and Valentine to turn good, probably as a result of Piper's behaviour at the Awards ceremony for Cyndi Lauper. It's also rumoured the Hogan will the lose the WWF Title on 12-28 to the Sheik." - Dec 84 Eastern Wrestling News

"During an interview, Buddy Landel said, 'We've taken over this company and Jerry Lawler's mad because we're actually drawing money' " - Aug 19, 95 Torch

"The originally booked Starcade card was Vader vs. Sid Vicious, Rude vs. Sting, Nasty Boys vs. Flair & Steamboat and Arn Anderson vs. Roma." - Nov 29, 93 Observer

"Paul Heyman predicted failure for WCW going head to head with the WWF Monday Night...As complimentary as he was toward Flair, he also talked about Flair wanting to turn Alex Wright heel so he (Flair) can hang around Alex at hotels and 'pick up all of the 18 year old women who Alex turns down in hotel lobbies' " - July 8, 95 Torch

"Joel Watts is now working for Titan doing production work with the television shows." - May 25, 87 Observer

"Hulk Hogan has already begun to fuss over the recent signings (My Note: Benoit, Eddie, Malenko and Sabu) saying they shouldn't hire people who won't be built up as his eventual opponents." - Sept. 2, 95 Torch

"Jim Crockett was elected president of the NWA at the convention last week with Giant Baba and Carlos Colon elected vice presidents. I believe they were the only three major promoters in attendance at what was basically a JCP company party." - Oct 5, 87 Observer

"The Ric Flair-Arn Anderson feud isn't going to feature a long-running series of bouts between the two of them. Shortly after breaking up with Flair, Anderson will form a team with Brian Pillman, who is still a babyface. From there, Flair is set to wrestle Sting on the live debut of Monday Nitro. Sources say that Flair is going to 'prove to Arn' he doesn't have to cheat to win by wrestling a clean match against Sting. Sting will be so impressed, he will agree to team with Flair against Anderson & Pillman in a Nitro tag match. During the match, in a purely coincidental parallel angle to Bulldog's heel turn, Flair, Anderson, and Pillman are going to attack Sting at the onset of the match and announce the formation of the new Four Horsemen." - Aug 19, 95 Torch

"A deal with Mars Candy Bars fell through recently because of the Duggan/Sheik incident which may be why Titan is really trying to do something about its drug problem. Or at least problems with certain drugs." - July 27, 87 Observer

"There are several ideas for the fourth Horsemen. Paul Orndorff wants to be the fourth Horseman and he's a member of the booking committee. Flair wants Alex Wright to be the fourth Horsemen because he's a big fan of Wright and wants youth on the team. There is also a belief that it would be perfect use of Steve Austin to make him the fourth Horseman." - Aug 19, 95 Torch

"In three live Crockett shows in San Francisco, there has only been one match won by a heel. This week's show saw in six matches only one finish." - May 4, 87 Observer

"It appears Paul Orndorff is now in line to get his wish and became the fourth Horseman (with Flair, Anderson and Pillman) when they reform the Four Horsemen. Steve Austin is still injured and they don't want to turn Wright, so Orndorff is the only other candidate." - Sept. 2, 95 Torch

"Verne Gagne is offering any wrestler of any stature the chance to 'get over on ESPN.' If you pay your own transportation to Vegas for the taping, Verne has apparently told several that he'll give them air time to get over." - Apr 13, 87 Observer

"Paul Diamond gave an interview where he revealed that he used to be on drugs and it effected his wrestling." - Mat Results Vol 04 No 08

"King Kong Bundy is now down to 350 pounds. He wanted to get down to 280, however if he did, he'd no longer be King Kong Bundy, so to keep his gimmick, he has been advised not to lose too much more weight." - 86 Observer Yearbook

"The subject of conversation seemed to focus on Randy Savage's comments regarding McMahon's victory over the government in court. The comments were scattered throughout the program. 'Razor Ramon is going to annihilate Shawn Michaels just like you Mr. McMahon and the World Wrestling Federation annihilated the United States Justice Department by pinning them in the middle of the ring one-two-three. Not guilty! Not guilty!' Savage added comments throughout the show such as 'Almost a hung jury, there'; 'Shawn Michaels, not to be confused with Sean O'Shea (prosecuting attorney)'; 'It looks like the jury's still out on whether Lex Luger sold out or not'; 'Speaking of the justice department, as Forrest Gump says, stupid is as stupid does'; 'The best tag team in legal history is Jerry McDevitt and Laura Brevetti. I think I'm gonna date Laura in my dreams.' " - Aug 6, 94 Torch

12 hours ago, DeanColes1987 said:

One of Dave's main talking points in 86/87 is that for all the time and effort they put behind pushing the "Adorable" gimmick Adonis just didn't draw at the house shows against Hogan and Piper.

And you can't say Vince didn't give him a chance in that regard.  He had two different runs with Hogan, including having him interfere in matches involving Hogan at shows and making him challenge Adonis in anger for the next event at that arena.

11 hours ago, DeanColes1987 said:

"A deal with Mars Candy Bars fell through recently because of the Duggan/Sheik incident which may be why Titan is really trying to do something about its drug problem. Or at least problems with certain drugs." - July 27, 87 Observer

Holy moly.  I wonder what those ads would have look like.

As always this thread delivers in so many ways.  Never knew about the Orndorff pitching himself to be in the Horsemen story.  Really loving your work!!

"Greg Valentine starts here on 12/1 and will be pushed as one of the major heels on the circuit." - Oct 26, 87 Observer

"The alliance between Crockett and Watts has erupted into all-out warfare, it seems Watts has set his sights on Kansas City and that pissed off Crockett enough to remove his guys from the 8-9 Superdome card which has since been cancelled." - June-July 86 International Wrestling News

"ECW wrestlers were called last week and told their last paychecks would not be clearing, but that a new account was opened and checks were being immediately reissued. Some checks did clear before the account was changed. Heyman told the wrestlers his wallet and checkbook were stolen from his car in Manhatten so he closed the checking account and opened a new one. Checks were reissued within days and all checks cleared. Some of the reissued checks had some money added on to make up for any inconvenience." - Oct 14, 95 Torch

"Greg Valentine may stay with Titan after all, got conflicting reports here." - Nov 2, 87 Observer

"The con goes something like this: Find a rich, jock-sniffing fan who reads the newsletters and thinks he can bring back the wrestling of his childhood. It helps immensely if this rich mark is an inveterate ham and secretly wants to be a big wrestling star. He should have some money, but not so much that he has any savvy about paying the tab for all of the expenses or will ask questions about when or how money will start flowing into the business instead of just out....Then actually feature the money guy as the focus. Have every heel talk about him incessantly. Put him on camera at every opportunity, 'suspending and fining' bad buys, providing inept color commentary, or getting jumped by wrestlers when he won't back down....Obviously, the posterboy for this con, I mean, game, was going to be Eddie Gilbert, but his behavior has become so erratic that he was last seen turning himself babyface, and 'retiring' so he could sell his old clothes to his adoring public before calling up whatever is left of the NWA board to pitch himself as their new NWA champion." - Oct 2, 93 Torch, Bruce Mitchell Column

"Freddy Miller says he will sue Ann Gunkel if she doesn't quit using his voice, but you can't get blood out of a turnip." - Mat Results Vol 04 No 02

"The last word I've got on Valentine is this. Crockett beleives he has Valentine starting 12/1. The folks at Titan believe Valentine is on the verge of renewing his contract, so my guess is he's playing them against them each other which is the intelligent thing to do. I was also told Valentine would earn as much working for Crockett as he did with Titan, and no doubt would be pushed harder with Crockett....FLASH II: Valentine definitely staying with Titan." - Nov 9, 87 Observer

"A form the WWF sends to former subscribers of WWF Magazine encouraging them to resubscribe has a photo of the Nasty Boys and Joey Marella on it." - Nov 5, 94 Torch

"Warlord beat former NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ron Garvin via count out when Garvin was outside fighting with Jones who held Garvin's leg as he tried to get back in." - Jan 4, 88 Observer

"Ever since Lex Luger's huge push this summer, Hennig has been especially uncooperative, perhaps out of jealousy. He even refused to wear red, white, and blue wrist bands to the ring in support of Luger during TV angles. Even the finicky Steiners cooperated with that request. Hennig's reason? 'I'm not putting anybody else over' " - Nov 13, 93 Torch

"You'll love this story. D.J. Peterson had given his notice sometime in November that he'd leave AWA at the end of the month, and on Thanksgiving they scheduled a match where Peterson was to wrestle Kevin Kelly and if Peterson lost, he'd leave town and if Kelly lost, then Peterson would get Madusa for 30 days. So what did they do? They had Peterson win!" - Jan 4, 88 Observer

"WCW WorldWide has replaced WWF Wrestling Challenge in Indianapolis. When Gene Okerlund announced that last weekend's program was the last in that market, he said a new wrestling show would replace it. He said that the timeslot would probably be a good time to mow your lawn, but quickly added that he was kidding." - July 12, 93 Torch

"Liger used a released german suplex and followed with a dragon screw (and boy did the announcing go to Hell when Tenay called that move)." - Jan 6, 97 Observer

"Another guy, Crockett's front man Paul Heyman, who talks a good game - something about an unlikely youth-oriented Dr. Dre/Dan Cortez/MTV/Howard Stern pro wrestling hybrid. Heyman, of course, has had overchronicled blow-ups with every management team he has ever worked for. On the shows he has promoted so far, he has brought out the same old Texas retreads, Titan castoffs, and pals that everyone else has. And whatever happened to all of that gaga about High Definition Television? No one works the Torch better than ol' Paul E. Remember the quote about how much he could learn from AAA's Antonio Pena? Heyman neglected to mention he was in L.A. the night of AAA's big show, knew full well the show would sell out, and blew it off anyway to go out partying." - Oct 2, 93 Torch, Bruce Mitchell Column

"Brody was in the opener in Portland and Seattle because neither Don Owen nor Jim Crockett wanted him on the card." - Oct 16, 85 Observer

"It was then time for Bob Armstrong to wrestle Christopher. Bruno came out and said that Bob had fallen ill and brought a doctor's note. They showed the note and it was a scribbled piece of paper that said, 'Bob is sick,' and it was signed 'Dr. Yankem' " - Nov 4, 95 Torch

"Bob Orton was fired after some problems at the Calgary airport resulted in his subsequent arrest." - Nov 30, 87 Observer

"Golddust's in-ring character will not be anything like Adrian Street, Gorgeous George III, or AAA's Pimpinela Escarlata as early comparisons feared. Once that wig comes off, he apparently will be as violently aggressive as any wrestler in the WWF, thus contrasting the supposed feminine side of his character (which has been actually much more androgynous than feminine from the beginning). In actuality, the basis of his look is supposed to be a living version of an Oscar award." - Sept. 2, 95 Torch

7 hours ago, DeanColes1987 said:

"The last word I've got on Valentine is this. Crockett beleives he has Valentine starting 12/1. The folks at Titan believe Valentine is on the verge of renewing his contract, so my guess is he's playing them against them each other which is the intelligent thing to do. I was also told Valentine would earn as much working for Crockett as he did with Titan, and no doubt would be pushed harder with Crockett....FLASH II: Valentine definitely staying with Titan." - Nov 9, 87 Observer 

This is an interesting what if. I'm pretty certain that if Valentine had gone to JCP, he would have been Luger's replacement in the Horsemen.

"Brody was in the opener in Portland and Seattle because neither Don Owen nor Jim Crockett wanted him on the card." - Oct 16, 85 Observer

Master bridge burner Brody. How was Brody a master business man again?

"Bob Orton was fired after some problems at the Calgary airport resulted in his subsequent arrest." - Nov 30, 87 Observer

These quotes have definitely shifted my picture of Bob Orton (and that incredibly Randy might be the more well-behaved of the two).

These quotes are an absolute blast to read.

1 hour ago, El Boricua said:

Master bridge burner Brody. How was Brody a master business man again?

9 hours ago, DeanColes1987 said:

By not letting promoters get one over on him like most guys did (and still do). Plus he knew his bread and butter was in Japan and anything he made elsewhere was basically "fuck you" money, which is what he said when promoters tried anything. 

"I think you should stop referring to Outback Jack as Outhouse and the Junkyard Dog as Junkfood. It was funny the first time; repeating these negative nicknames week after week is more stale than an overused wrestling angle. You can evaluate a wrestlers ability without lowering yourself to the level of name-calling." - Aug 10, 87 Observer Letter

"The sucker was scrambled but I could still tell what was going on. However at 3:20 pm I found a signal unscrambled so tough luck Vince. I really didn't find the show to be as bad as I thought it would be but of course I didn't pay to watch it. I don't think I would pay $10 to see it either" - Mat Results Vol 03 No 09

"Before the opening match, they had Hank Aaron present the Battle Bowl ring from 1991 to Sting. The irony of seeing Aaron standing next to Bill Watts was probably lost on almost everyone watching." - Jan 4, 93 Observer

"The new policy states that WWF wrestlers will no longer individually be able to collect frequent flyer miles from their travelling. Instead, the WWF will assign them company frequent flyer numbers and then the company will collect for their own use the frequent flyer benefits. In the past, wrestlers have been able to save the benefits themselves and use them for vacations for their families, or in some cases, use them to travel to independent shows for work once their WWF stint was finished." - Jan 8, 94 Torch

"For the time being. I'm having a one month moratorium on nicknames (at least derogatory nicknames). If you have a strong opinion one way or the other on the nickname issue, drop me a note by 8/22. The majority rules in this case." - Aug 24, 87 Observer

"Cousin Junior beat Ox Baker via DQ in a bout I'm told was worse than Baba vs. Raja Lion." - Feb 1, 88 Observer

"Remember how upset the wrestlers were with Vince McMahon for retracting their privilege of keeping their frequent flyer bonus miles? Before the tapings last week, they were telling each other how they were going to stick together and stand up to McMahon. At the meeting, McMahon didn't bring up the subject and no one spoke up on their own." - Jan 29, 94 Torch

"They taped a Barry Windham vs. Tully Blanchard match for the Western States Title which wasn't any good from what I was told. I'm told fans lost all their interest because it was one of those slow-paced matches which went 27:00....Blanchard went to a 20:00 draw with Ron Garvin (very slow-paced)....Flair pinned Hayes in 13:00 (slow-paced and even though Flair is never bad, it was okay at best)....Windham double count out Barbarian (slow paced but good)...." - Jan 25, 88 Observer

"Slater would have been unmasked as the Gorilla on TV but a few weeks into the angle Slater and Crockett had not settled on Dick's salary. They could not have unmasked him as the Gorilla only for him to go to the WWF a week later." - May 85 International Wrestling News

"Don't stop using nicknames. I think they are cute, not derogatory at all. My friends and I have always called Buddy Rose 'Bloody Nose' and The Freebirds 'The Fleabirds' etc....Besides, guys like Hulk Ho-hum, the Dog or Jack aren't such great workers that they command all this respect." - Aug 24, 87 Observer Letter

"At IYH and the following TV tapings, two groups of wrestlers wore identifiable clothes to set themselves apart from others and show unity with each other. A group led by Undertaker including Yokozuna, Fatu, Duke Droese, and Owen Hart all wore black BSK caps. A group led by The Smoking Gunns, British Bulldog, and Dustin Rhodes all wore red handkerchiefs. Some played it down as just meaningless fashion statements. Others compared it to "gang colors" and said the wrestlers were sending a signal to management that if you mess with one of them, you mess with all of them." - Dec 23, 95 Torch

"In the prelims was a guy called The Mandingo Warrior which is certainly original" - Sept. 28, 87 Observer

"The reason the WWF is showing footage of pretaped Raws a week before the matches air is to take away WCW's steam when making a big deal about Nitro being live. The WWF doesn't want to come across as if they are either deceitful or ashamed of being pre-taped. McMahon's verbal reason to wrestlers is that it makes Raw like 'Melrose Place' where they show footage of next week's show at the end of each week's program." - Sept. 30, 95 Torch

"Rick Steiner actually had a major bicep tear suffered in the locker room when he was horsing around with Williams and Hawk." - Jan 11, 88 Observer

"Tatum attempted to hit Freda with the chair, but Sutton had her in his arms and refused to let go. So, Tatum destroyed a wooden chair on his back and Sutton fell onto the pig. The pig then ran around squealing like crazy until one of the security staff captured it. There was talk in the crowd that if an animal rights group saw the way the pig was treated, the angle would be ceased immediately. There are a lot of complaints by the fans, too. Freda relieved herself, once again, in the middle of the ring. It's become the standard symbolism for the GWF." - July 4, 93 Torch

"The balloting regarding the usage of nicknames in this publication has been running about six-to-one in favor of keeping the nicknames, so unless there is an incredible last minute change, you can expect to see nicknames back next week." - Aug 31, 87 Observer

Some Dave Meltzer nicknames I've come across so far

Junkfood Dog
The Huckster
Killer Zzzzs
Bore-Us Zhukov
Kendall Winless
Worth-Las Title
Glamour Ghouls
Anabolic Warrior
Outhouse Jack
Barbie Dolls (Young Stallions)
Losing Lanny
Skandor Snackbar
Hectortron
Scott LeDouche
Slick Nic Volkoff
Flabulous Moolah
Andre the Giant Statue
Midlife Rider
Job Tones
High Dosage

On 9/18/2018 at 9:15 PM, sek69 said:

You know, of all the interesting what-ifs of 80s wrestling (what if Magnum never got hurt, what if Nikita went to the WWF), my #1 what-if I never see mentioned is what if the non Crockett NWA members would have got together to vote someone else as champion besides Flair? If the NWA continues to have a traveling champion, Fritz doesn't quit the NWA,  other territories have the chance to have a title match on the card to combat the WWF expansion (which intially bombed in a lot of cities until they just outlasted the competition), and maybe a more unified NWA would have posed a bigger challenge to the WWF juggernaut.

Of course it probably would have only prolonged the inevitable as the changing landscape of cable TV would have made Vince the winner anyway, and getting the various promoters to play nice long enough to mount a challenge would have been like herding cats, but it would have been something interesting to watch them try. 

The January 87 Observers speak of Duke Keomuka, The Fullers, Bob Geigel and Fritz Von Erich planning to get together to form a new NWA and take Crockett down since he took the NWA name and title for himself. 

" 'The Nitro thing is crazy. It's one thing to go head to head, but it's unprecedented for a network program to start a few minutes before the top of the hour and end a few minutes after....The world thinks the WWF is this big, huge deal and WCW is whatever it is. If WCW was competing on some equal basis, great. But Turner is competing unfairly....My work ethic is pretty strong. The amount of time I spend on Billionaire Ted is minuscule.' - Feb 17, 96 Torch, Vince McMahon interview with Wade Keller

"Butch Reed beat Jake Roberts via COR after they threw the bag hard off the apron to the floor and Jake jumps out to check on his pet." - 86 Observer Yearbook

"Vince wanted the Strong Machines-Cobra for the Wrestlemania show, but Inoki nixed it." - Mar 85 Eastern Wrestling News

"Hunter Hearst Helmsley made his Raw debut but only lasted a half second before a commercial interrupted him." - Apr 29, 95 Torch

"Dundee is the leading heel, and while good on interviews, is a terrible wrestler." - Aug 83 Observer

" 'I had no resources at all,' McMahon explains. 'That first 250,000 dollars was advanced money. We had to keep the money coming in. We just began growing. Everywhere I went, I competed head to head with a promoter with more assets. Verne Gagne, Bill Watts, Jim Crockett, they were all very wealthy. They had more assets than I had. But what they didn't have was my chutzpah.' " - Feb 17, 96 Torch, Vince McMahon interview with Wade Keller

"Rude and Flair continue to insult each other from time to time but nothing has come of it yet." - Mat Results Vol 05 No 06

" 'I asked Verne if he wanted to be bought out,' McMahon recalls. 'He and Greg laughed me out of the office. I can't blame them looking back given what they must have thought at the time.' " - Feb 17, 96 Torch, Vince McMahon interview with Wade Keller

"Eddie Guerrero, the younger brother of Chavo & Hector is now wrestling out of Mexico City and from the reports I've gotten is just fantastic." - Oct 26, 87 Observer

" 'If you're a wrestling producer and you're trying to improve your product, or if you own networks, the last place you're going to put a wrestling show is opposite of another show of the same kind,' McMahon says. 'By putting Nitro head to head with Raw, not to mention doing the unprecedented in starting it a few minutes before and ending it a few minutes after the hour, it shows they are trying to hurt an independent producer.' " Mar 2, 96 Torch, Vince McMahon interview with Wade Keller

"The name Lance Von Erich has came up a few times in recent weeks. Lance, who really is the son of Waldo Von Erich, may be here in a month or two." - May 84 Observer

" 'It is the efforts of a Billionaire and a Billion Dollar Empire to put an independent producer out of business,' he says. 'It is not just one product vs. another when they have all their other divisions helping them. If people would understand that as a premise, then they would see things from my point of view.' " - Mar 2, 96 Torch, Vince McMahon interview with Wade Keller

"During Volkoff's matches, Watts spends the time with a social commentary about how the Russian people are waiting to find our weakness and take over our country and gets actually made at the fact that fans don't hate this Russian as much as he would like. 'Don't you see what they're doing in Grenada. They've got 60 percent of the world right now. They're Athiests!' " - 1983 Observer Yearbook

"The Bruise Brothers quit after the Disney tapings after refusing to do a job for Stars & Stripes." - Nov 19, 94 Torch

"When Mrs. Crockett presented the tropy to the Roadies, she called them the Road Runners." - Apr 28, 86 Observer

" '"It's almost scary that someone like (Turner), who possibly has problems with lithium, mental problems, problems with religion, etcetera, may be in the power position he could be in at Time-Warner' " - Mar 2, 96 Torch, Vince McMahon interview with Wade Keller

I would assume introspection isn't Vince's strong suit, but I wonder if it ever occured to him he's the 2018 version of what he thought Ted Turner was in 1996. Crazy billionare who puts effort into trampling down the "independent producers". Also lol at Vince calling himself that in 1996. 

"Johnny Grunge was arrested last week after driving off with a WCW production truck without permission.... Grunge became somewhat of a hero in some circles, not for driving drunk, but for the 'guts' (choose your word) he showed in stealing a WCW truck in his first month on the job. He was even more popular because it was David Crockett's truck, and he's not the most popular guy on the WCW staff." - Feb 17, 96 Torch

"Wahoo was sued by a fan over an incident that occurred last year outside the Greensboro Coliseum. The fan says he was struck 3 times in the face and now has scars and nosebleeds. Fan was awarded $35,000 by the judge." - Mat Results Vol 04 No 04

"Randy & Bill Mulkey beat The New Breed which got a great reaction (guess they hadn't decided to push Champion-Royal until a few days later)" - Apr 20, 87 Observer

" 'To this day, I think one of the most effective videos done was the Earthquake-Hulk Hogan video done by the WWF. That was done to music. Did anybody sit there and accuse the WWF of being like a group on MTV? No. Everybody was astonished this year by the quality of Hacksaw Jim Duggan's music video. Nobody sat there and said, 'Aw, they're just trying to be like a rock ‘n‘ roll group.' Everybody was enthralled by the production quality and got into the video. It was first class all the way. I think if you do things first class, I think people will appreciate it.' " - August 7, 93 Torch, Paul Heyman Torch Talk

"The Worldwide that aired this weekend in Westpoint, MS had both the Worldwide and Jack Gregory commentary on at the same time, so the entire shows sounded like total jibberish." - Feb 8, 88 Observer

" 'Vince McMahon's ego won't ever allow him to admit that I'm the one who is kicking his ass every week. He's out there trying to paint this picture that Ted Turner is beating him up. Ted Turner has so many things he has to tend to, I don't think Vince McMahon's name flashes through Ted Turner's mind more than once a year or twice a year....You have this transvestite character that makes lewd remarks, rubs himself, gets chased around and stripped down to his ladies' underwear. I don't see the 'family entertainment' Vince McMahon so prides the WWF in having with that character' " - Apr 20, 96 Torch, Eric Bischoff Quotes

"Samula is the first wrestler ever to actually improve by going into the WWF." - Aug 83 Observer

"On the Apr. 15 Nitro, the original plans had Hulk Hogan being stretchered after an attack by the Giant which would explain his absence from WCW for several months. He had requested time off saying he had a movie deal in the works to play a Santa character. At the last moment he changed plans and dominated the Giant rather than get beat up by him. As of deadline, word is that Hogan will be taking time off despite the 'heroic achievement' on Nitro." - Apr 27, 96 Torch

"Ron Garvin has been World Champion for three weeks now and they are still showing that video of Flair as the champion." - Oct 26, 87 Observer

"Hogan is taking time off until August. If things go well without him, will he be welcome back with the same autonomy he left with?" - May 4, 96 Torch

"Islanders vs. Martel and Santana in 2 of 3 falls (can you believe it--a WWF match I'm looking forward to seeing)" - Oct 12, 87 Observer

"From a storyline perspective, Hulk Hogan is slated to get the last laugh. Rumor has it that 'Team WWF' (Hall, Nash, Luger, DiBiase) will end up getting the better of 'Team WCW,' including most notably Sting and Randy Savage. It will be after a period of weeks or months of 'Team WWF' getting the better of WCW that Hogan will return and 'save the day.' The plan is for Hogan to then soundly end up the victor and symbolically beat the WWF - something he will take great satisfaction in after the way the WWF depicted him as "The Huckster" in the skits on Raw. If WCW plays their cards right, it should be an eventful and profitable summer and fall." - June 1, 96 Torch

"I'm told that Hogan & Savage work better together than Hogan & Piper did because Savage knows his place." - Jan 15, 88 Observer

"In case you haven't heard about it by now, the following tag team made its debut at the recent WCW TV taping: Col. Rob Parker's Posse, namely the GWF's Ebony Experience in shackles and chains. Yes, in shackles and chains. Eric Bischoff, in a rare moment of lucidity, saw what was about to transpire and barred the gimmick, but not the team, from TV. It is an absolutely undeniable fact that the gimmick was thought of by, of all people, Sid Vicious and approved by Dusty Rhodes and Ole Anderson....It will be said that they're supposed to be death row convicts if the gimmick airs. But, given the sight of two black men in shackles and chains led to the ring by a Southern plantation owner, I don't think that explanation flies. Dusty and Ole could say Parker's team is into S&M, bondage, and discipline, whatever. That certainly won't alter what it looks like. Which is exactly what it's intended to look like....When I called WCW for comment from Anderson or Rhodes, I got a return call from a PR flack who said, 'Oh, Ole says that was their gimmick in Texas.' - June 28, 93 Torch, Mark Madden Column

"Rumors are flying everywhere about JCP's current financial situation....Unlike Titan, JCP has most of its wrestlers signed to long term contracts. For example, let's say Luger's contract was for $350,000 a year. That doesn't mean Luger is getting $7,000 each week. The guys weekly checks are probably what they would have been without a contract, basically depending on the gates that week. What the contract provides for is that when the year is up, if Luger earned less than $350,000--then Crockett would make up the difference at the end of the year. Apparently most of the guys, if not all of them, will earn less, and significantly so in some cases, than their contract stipulated. So Crockett has a major financial obligation to make up in a few weeks....Thinking from Crockett's side is if there is a bad week you don't run into a cash flow problem. The theory was they would be coming off Starrcade and the Christmas TV ad revenue, which would more than make up for any end of year obligations. Starrcade and Christmas TV ads weren't nearly what Crockett had expected....If Crockett renege on the contracts, then Titan could basically pick and choose which guys they want" - Dec 28, 87 Observer

2 hours ago, DeanColes1987 said:

"From a storyline perspective, Hulk Hogan is slated to get the last laugh. Rumor has it that 'Team WWF' (Hall, Nash, Luger, DiBiase) will end up getting the better of 'Team WCW,' including most notably Sting and Randy Savage. It will be after a period of weeks or months of 'Team WWF' getting the better of WCW that Hogan will return and 'save the day.' The plan is for Hogan to then soundly end up the victor and symbolically beat the WWF - something he will take great satisfaction in after the way the WWF depicted him as "The Huckster" in the skits on Raw. If WCW plays their cards right, it should be an eventful and profitable summer and fall." - June 1, 96 Torch

Narrarator Voice: Amazingly, they did. 

Although amusingly enough Hulk still basically ended up the victor despite being on "Team WWF". 

Dave plugging a fund for a Cocaine Trafficker (who ran a massage parlor/brothel on the side)

"A fund has been set up to help pay for the huge legal expenses of wrestler Al Blake (Vladimir Petrov) who was convicted on a cocaine trafficking charge a few months back. For more information you can write: Allen Blake Fund, Box 611, Anoka, MN 55303. If anyone has any Vladimir Petrov memorabilia you can also write the same address." - Feb 29, 88 Observer

"Janie Engle, Elizabeth and a couple of the Nitro Girls are considered to be the most underrated power brokers in WCW. Given who they are friends with, (and in a couple of cases, more than friends with) they are privy to more company info than some of the top wrestlers. They are referred to by some of the male wrestlers as the 'Kotex Mafia' " - Mar, 13 99 Torch

"At the 6/16 Albuquerque card there were only 1,705 fans-- yet when they announced Hulk Hogan to appear on 7/20, within 30 minutes more than 2,000 tickets were purchased." - June 29, 87 Observer

"12. Who was shown calmly and studiously studying a computer monitor and typing thoughtful responses to WCW fans questions on Compuserve? (a) Mike Tenay; (b) Eric Bischoff; (c) Harvey Shiller; (d) Mark Madden; (e) the number one heel who has vowed to destroy Hulkamania, the stinky, nasty Giant?" - Mar 30, 96 Torch

"Speaking of the Mulkeys, isn't it amazing they print up those nice looking Mulkeymania shirts, give these guys a win on TV, then send them to Florida to be jobbers at the height of their popularity." - May 25, 87 Observer

"At Uncensored, Luger complained backstage about Jerry Flynn wearing black and red. He argued that those colors should be reserved for just members of the Wolfpac." - Mar 27, 99 Torch

"The Vader-Simmons title change was supposed to take place on 12/29 in Philadelphia, however Simmons missed the show. Bill Watts and the television camera crew flew to Philadelphia to film the title change that never took place and you can just imagine the heat that caused." - Jan 15, 93 Observer

"Mikey Whipwreck made his first appearance in a WCW locker room last week and Nash had to ask him who he was. Head of security Doug Dillinger nearly threw Whipwreck out of the building because he didn’t know who Mikey was and Mikey wasn’t wearing his proper credentials." - Mar 20, 99 Torch

"In that Danny Davis skit where Jack Tunney fires him, the reason Howard Finkel gave Jack the mic outside the ring was because poor Jack appeared to have blown up chasing Davis down the runaway." - Feb 23, 87 Observer

"29. Why did Stevie Ray, Ernest Miller, and Norman Smiley suddenly get a bunch of face time on WCW television? A. Because of their wrestling talent, B. Because of their unique personalities, C. Because of their interview ability or D. Because 'Hard Work' Bobby Walker filed suit against WCW for racial discrimination."  - Feb 6, 99 Torch, Bruce Mitchell Quiz

"Does Ric Flair really want to be a babyface? that interview putting down the Celtics and praising the Lakers before a trip to Los Angeles sure makes it seem so." - Dec 29, 86 Observer

"On last week’s Raw they bleeped some of Sean Waltman’s comments. He made comments about being fired by 'bigger assholes' than Vince McMahon. Vince didn’t want that on the air probably because he wants people to think he’s a bigger asshole than Eric Bischoff." - Feb 6, 99 Torch

"Dusty pinned Dillon, who subbed for Blanchard, in just 30 seconds. Dusty grabbed the mic and said, 'tell Hulk Hogan that Dusty's in town.' It got a big roar, because anyone who likes the WWF wasn't at this card since both Hulk and Piper were across town." - Oct 27, 86 Observer

"Sandman is lifting weights apparently for the first time in his life to prepare for his in–ring debut for WCW." - Jan 30, 99 Torch

"Ricky Steamboat's new lizard is a giant alligator after the last one walked out." - Sept 22, 86 Observer

"35. What was the real reason internet icon and good friend to everyone Bob Ryder took a stand against the extreme attitude of the WWF? A. His religious beliefs were offended by the crucifixion of Steve Austin, B. His value system was appalled at the idea of children watching Sexual Chocolate’s three–way, C. The WWF is the only one of the Big Three he doesn’t work for." - Feb 6, 99 Torch, Bruce Mitchell Quiz

"If in December, you had told me that over the next six months, JCP would add names like Lex Luger, Barry Windham, Steve Williams, The Freebirds, Terry Taylor, Eddie Gilbert, Chris Adams, Sting and Rick Steiner to its stable, pick up all the UWF television and arena contracts and lose at the same time only a few non-headliner talents like Wahoo McDaniel, Rick Rude, Bill Dundee, Dutch Mantell and a few others, I'd have thought that irregardless of how Titan was doing, JCP would be drawing huge crowds from coast-to-coast. Instead with the exception of Luger, none of the newcomers were used correctly or for that matter allowed the opportunity to get over. Instead, 'the clique' continued to be pushed past the point of staleness while the rest of the pack was treated as middle-of-the-card guys." - Oct 26, 87 Observer

"Van Hammer was arrested on two counts of possession of illegally prescribed prescription drugs, a story which got publicity in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. WCW told reporters he hadn't worked for them for two years, despite his appearance last month at their Main Event TV tapings." - Jan 21, 95 Torch

"Interesting that Dusty did an interview screaming about how this is the NWA and you don't buy a belt in the NWA....Steiner got the Florida belt for free, which is about what the Florida champion is worth these days." - Feb 8, 88 Observer

"Those who watch closely say Stephanie McMahon displays more of an interest in the inner workings of the WWF and pays more attention to how things work than Shane McMahon." - May 8, 99 Torch

"An Indian Strap match for the title between Wahoo McDaniel and Curt Hennig ended when Adrian Adonis interfered and used a knife to cut the strap but did so in such a manner that he knifed Curt's finger and blood flew like crazy....Curt had to be hospitalized and it was thought he might lose a portion of his finger because of Adonis' knife (legit here)." - Dec 21, 87 Observer

"Hunter was promised he'd be 'taken care of' in exchange for the Warrior job." - Apr 6, 96 Torch

"The show on 11/21 in Hollywood, FL saw the Von Erichs featured in the local newspaper, on local radio shows and even saw Kevin & Kerry get the keys to the city of Pembroke Pines, FL for 'their work in combatting drug abuse.' " - Nov 30, 87 Observer

"The cheerleader, telling the audience for whom to cheer, accidentally told them to cheer Simmons and boo Armstrong. A WCW director whispered in his ear that both were good guys, the cheerleader looked embarassed." - Nov 27, 93 Torch

"What actually happened with Shane Douglas was that he was given a finishing notice, and asked if he could leave early to start school in Pennsylvania, and then when he got back, he was told the notice was a mistake and he was wanted back." - Nov 16, 87 Observer

"WCW has asked Larry Zbyszko to stop standing and encouraging the crowd to cheer him at the start of Nitro." - Feb 6, 99 Torch

"Shane Douglas was fired once again by JCP." - Nov 30, 87 Observer

"Stan Lane turned down an offer to work for WCW for $250 a night. WCW wanted Lane to reform his team with Bobby Eaton. The offer came in a matter of minutes after the WCW office found out about Jim Cornette's deal with the WWF. 'Greg Gagne called me and offered me $250,' Lane told the Torch Monday night. 'I wanted $400, but settled for $250. Gagne said he would check, but apparently it was too high for their pay structure. He said they have so many guys on big money contracts, they can't afford to pay much to new talent.' Lane would have tagged with Eaton just through September, replacing the departed Chris Benoit's bookings on small shows in Georgia and Alabama." - August 14, 93 Torch

"Apparently the heat between Mrs. McMichael and Mrs. Sullivan is legit as they won't even dress in the same dressing room." - Jan 6, 97 Observer

"When Todd Pettengill plugged the WWF Magazine on WWF Mania Saturday morning, he avoided showing the cover featuring Randy Savage. He usually shows the cover." - Nov 19, 94 Torch

"They are doing a Piper's Pit type segment on the local show called 'Brenda's Beauty Shop' hosted by Brenda Britton. Since I don't want a bunch of nasty letters coming in, you'll just have to guess my reaction." - May 25, 87 Observer

"The Flair–Windham match had the stipulation that if Flair won he’d receive five minutes with Bischoff. Bischoff didn’t make it to the show so they changed the planned finish to Windham winning in order to avoid acknowledging Bischoff wasn’t there." - Feb 6, 99 Torch

"Tully & Arn are great, but how many times can you watch them live, particularly when they always lose?" - Dec 28, 87 Observer

"Van Hammer, real name Mark Hildreth, made local news in Atlanta when some adult video and book stores were raided in the area, one of which was owned by Hildreth's family. Hildreth criticized police on the radio saying they should spend their time going after real criminals." - June 10, 95 Torch

16 hours ago, DeanColes1987 said:

"An Indian Strap match for the title between Wahoo McDaniel and Curt Hennig ended when Adrian Adonis interfered and used a knife to cut the strap but did so in such a manner that he knifed Curt's finger and blood flew like crazy....Curt had to be hospitalized and it was thought he might lose a portion of his finger because of Adonis' knife (legit here)." - Dec 21, 87 Observer

Jesus Christ at all of that.....

16 hours ago, DeanColes1987 said:

"The show on 11/21 in Hollywood, FL saw the Von Erichs featured in the local newspaper, on local radio shows and even saw Kevin & Kerry get the keys to the city of Pembroke Pines, FL for 'their work in combatting drug abuse.' " - Nov 30, 87 Observer

To be fair, there were probably weren't any drugs left in that town after the Von Erichs came through. 

"Eric Bischoff held a backstage meeting with all of the wrestlers who were in Las Vegas for Nitro and offered a release to anyone who is unhappy. Bischoff started the meeting by singling out Raven and lecturing him for his negative comments about WCW on the Mancow radio show. Bischoff said he would grant any unhappy wrestlers their release from WCW. Raven stood up and left the room, indicating he wished for his release." - Aug 28, 99 Torch

"I'm told Shawn Michaels is making a great heel, except it's no act." - Jan 15, 88 Observer

"Bischoff then turned his attention to Konnan for using inappropriate language during a promo at a weekend house show, and Rey Mysterio Jr. for using the term 'Hershey Highway' on last week’s Nitro. He asked them what six–year–olds would think about the remarks. Konnan asked Bischoff what the difference is between what he said at the house show (to the Rednecks: 'You haven’t had pussy since pussy had you') and the language Randy Savage and Dennis Rodman had been using on Nitro. Bischoff avoided the question and instead chewed out Konnan for complaining too much." - Aug 28, 99 Torch

"Eddie Gilbert will be meeting with Vince McMahon this upcoming week representing himself, Terry Taylor, Sting and Terry Taylor. It's no secret that within the industry that Sting is one of the wrestlers Titan covets the most." - Oct 26, 87 Observer

"Bischoff ripped Buff Bagwell for his role in the pre–PPV fight he had with Ernest Miller by telling him to quit acting like a kid and start acting professionally." - Aug 28, 99 Torch

"Central States has been running down Ric Flair because Crockett pulled him out of his booking here. They are saying Flair was afraid of Dave Peterson and that he picks his opponents and will only meet 'fat people and Russians.' - June 8, 87 Observer

"Bischoff also ripped on Public Enemy for recently voicing their opinion about having to do a job to Sid and refusing to take a double chokeslam." - Aug 28, 99 Torch

"The gimmick they were working was that since Mantell owned Cooley's contract, all of Cooley's wrestling proceeds went to Mantell so Cooley was without any money for Christmas--they even went so far to show Cooley's two daughters with an empty Christmas tree." - Jan 15, 88 Observer

"Immediately following the meeting, several wrestlers made phone calls (including Raven, who is said to have called Paul Heyman within ten minutes of walking out) to see if either the WWF or ECW would be interested in their services. While the WWF officially said they couldn’t talk to anyone under contract because of tampering laws, some say there were indications given that they would be interested in several wrestlers should they gain a full release." - Aug 28, 99 Torch

"I figured it wouldn't take long before Dusty responded to the WWF calling Mike Jones 'Virgil' the valet. On TBS this weekend, Dusty was talking about Ron Simmons and said something like 'he didn't have to bleach his hair blonde to get a job' and said NWA had real wrestlers and not guys on cups." - July 27, 87 Observer

"After the meeting, Konnan and Bischoff met in Bischoff’s office. The two are said to have had a screaming match which resulted in Konnan asking for his release and his friend, Mysterio, doing the same later." - Aug 28, 99 Torch

"With increasing cooperation between Gagne and outside offices run by the Fullers in Alabama, Jarrett and Lawler in Tennessee, Geigel in Kansas City and Don Owen in Oregon; it actually makes Hennig the champion recognized by more promotions than any other champion in the world for whatever that may be worth." - May 25, 87 Observer

"Billy Kidman approached Bischoff at the bar and asked to be released from his three–year deal which he signed just a few months ago. Sources say Bischoff asked Kidman why he would consider letting him go after investing two years building him up. One source says Bischoff grew frustrated and told Kidman he could pick up his release the next day....After hearing that the releases have limitations, Kidman has reportedly decided to stay in WCW as he was only interested in leaving if he could go to the WWF (although ECW would love to have him)." - Aug 28, 99 Torch

"The third hour opened with Demolition winning a squash managed by a face painted Mr. Fuji (which ends even their slimmest hopes of ever getting over). - Apr 6, 87 Observer

"Craig Leathers and Kevin Sullivan stood behind Bischoff during the meeting in Vegas and are being compared to the characters that Pat Patterson and Gerald Brisco play on WWF TV because they stood there nodding." - Aug 28, 99 Torch

"The reason Adonis had been wrestling with a veil on was because he came out on the short end of a dressing room brawl with Danny Spivey and had himself punched out really bad." - July 7, 86 Observer

"Poffo is getting a six–figure contract and has wrestled only a few times for WCW. One time he showed up at a WCW event near his hometown in Florida and was asked to wrestle. He said he couldn’t because he didn’t bring his gear. You’d think if you get paid six figures to work one day every few months, you’d come prepared to work." Oct 9, 99 Torch

"How many of you know who Michael St. John is? He's a former TV announcer in Memphis and some of the other Southern promotions and probably weighs 140 pounds, but at least World Class list him in the Light Heavyweight division, as the No. 5 contender." - Nov 9, 87 Observer

"Ticket sales are showing signs of lagging across the board. WCW has made money the last couple of years. This year they are apparently on pace to basically break even. If that’s the case, some of the deals Bischoff has brokered (such as a video production deal involving Jason Hervey and Mandalay, which some believe could have been done much cheaper in–house by Turner) will be scrutinized much more closely than if WCW were making tens of millions in profit." - Sept. 4, 99 Torch

"Drinking combined with tension from a long day of wrestling and travelling led to an argument between Arn Anderson and Mike Enos that given the circumstances, witnesses say, was close to becoming much more serious....Mike Enos was talking on his cell phone on the plane which is against regulations. Arn Anderson confronted Enos about the infraction, telling him if he didn’t get off the phone the plane might crash. When Enos continued talking on the phone, tension grew. Arn got into an argument with the flight attendant, but she told him that talking on the cell phone wouldn’t actually affect the safety of the flight. Eventually, Enos hung up the phone and walked away from Arn by going into the bathroom. Arn made it clear he was prepared should the argument escalate into a fight, perhaps realizing he was outnumbered since Enos’ seat was next to his friend Bobby Duncum Jr." - Apr 24, 99 Torch

"Curt Hennig kept the title beating Jerry Blackwell in 17:25 (having Blackwell wrestle that long in Denver should have Wahoo up before a grand jury on charges of cruel and unusual punishment--in Denver's thin air normal wrestlers blow up fast, Jerry was near heart attack city by 3:00)" - Oct 26, 87 Observer

"Alex Wright has been backstage at the last few Nitros. He is supposed to film vignettes introducing his new character, but no one ever gets around to it, so he just stands around doing nothing." - Aug 14, 99 Torch

"Titan is suing Tom Zenk for $100,000 for breach of contract." - Nov 2, 87 Observer

"At one point over the past couple of weeks, Buff Bagwell was so upset with a finish of a match he disappeared. He was found sitting in his car in protest and had to be talked into returning to the arena." - Aug 28, 99 Torch

"From the weekend Superstars show, it appears that Vic Venom did get heat about saying Bret Hart would win the Rumble so assuredly the previous week, since Bret is scheduled to win (and things can always change although this one may be a hard one to change) as he came back and kind of backed off saying you can never know for sure who would win a Rumble." - Jan 6, 97 Observer

"Vince McMahon says he isn’t bothered by last month’s vote by the Oregon legislature to continue strict regulation of pro wrestling. 'Fuck them' McMahon tells the TORCH. 'You can print that. We only go where we’re welcome. If they don’t want us, I don’t give a shit.' ” - Aug 14, 99 Torch

"I know that most of the newsletters including this one have been very critical of the direction JCP has taken over the past few months. I'm not going to waste space going over points that have been beat to death, however this past Sunday in Greensboro, the Road Warriors & Dusty & Nikita beat The Four Horsemen in a cage match before 5,117 fans. I think that makes more of a point than all the points everyone else has come up with." - Oct 12, 87 Observer

"In order to make room under their set talent budget, WCW had released The Nasty Boys on Wednesday, Mar. 6. The Nastys had rarely been used in recent months because when the current WCW booking committee formed last year (Kevin Sullivan, Arn Anderson, Paul Orndorff, Terry Taylor), they believed the Nastys were overexposed and didn't take enough bumps to deserve a main event spot. On Tuesday, perhaps in response to the loss of Badd, WCW met again with the Nastys and came to terms for them to return. Bischoff wanted to avoid the perception that WCW and the WWF were trading talent." - Mar 16, 96 Torch

"The TV show here has turned into the sexual innuendo hour, virtually every interview Hall, Smothers and Armstrong are doing seems more like advertising for arena rats rather than doing anything to build up fan interest." - Mar 2, 87 Observer

"Dreamer grabbed the mic and ripped on Jason, claiming he blows the boys in the locker room. He called Jasmine a crack whore and claimed Bytch was a hooker." - Jan 30, 99 Torch

"The New Breed is supposed to be a heel team now and feud with Brad Armstrong & Tim Horner around the horn, but last word I got was that Sean Royal never came back from Christmas vacation." - Jan 11, 88 Observer

"The Ric Flair display at the Nitro Grill in Las Vegas, Nev. misspells Ric’s name 'Rick' " - Sept. 4, 99 Torch

"I'm not sure what this says about our society, but on 1/19 -- a national holiday for Martin Luther King's birthday, Hulk Hogan and Kimala will meet in a sold out Madison Square Garden." - 86 Observer Yearbook

"Ralphus had become the joke of the locker room because he believed he was a superstar. He got such a big head that he refused to eat lunch with his co–workers on the ring crew anymore. Two months ago during the California swing, he showed up at the PPV with a young woman on each arm. He either joked or seriously claimed that one of them was his new girlfriend and he was dumping his wife for her. He claimed to some that he was going to do a run–in to save Kevin Nash from an attack as part of a TV angle. He also barked out orders to wrestlers when they were due for meetings with management or doctors backstage at events. He apparently believes it is only a matter of time before WCW is forced to return him to TV to be a big star again." - Apr 24, 99 Torch

"A lot has happened, and none of it good, in the three stooges (Ole Anderson-Bob Roop-Ronnie Garvin) promotion." - July 83 Observer

"There was talk this week of having Jericho job to Ralphus on his final day with the company, but Jericho would probably turn it into a highly entertaining and not–at–all damaging send–off." - July 10, 99 Torch

"The reason Leon White is getting title bouts with Hansen is because 'he's a young guy and a nice guy really anxious to prove himself.' In other words he doesn't complain when asked to lose. They ran the bout on TV with Stan getting a clean pin, now are bringing it back in the arenas, billing White as undefeated." - Apr 22, 86 Observer

"Arn Anderson, a member of WCW management, slapped wrestler Disco Inferno in front of a dozen other wrestlers....Disco had given Hugh Morrus a hard time. Morrus was supposed to wrestle in front of his family over the weekend. Disco made a comment about how Hugh’s kids like him (Disco) better than their dad. He has a rep for not fighting back when provoked thus he is an easy target. Arn told Disco to lay off the family talk. Disco and Arn often trade good–natured verbal barbs, so Disco responded as usual. Arn then slapped him hard across the face, calling it a “Rome, Georgia ass–kicking.” Everyone was shocked and silence fell over the bus....It wasn’t the first time Disco has been slapped in front of fellow wrestlers. Eddie Guerrero on a tour of Europe more than a year ago slapped Disco in a bar when he irritated him." - Apr 24, 99 Torch