Pro Wrestling Only

Semi earth-shattering news from the WON

Loss

'The new CFO of WWE, Michael Selick, revealed in Financial Week that the company is exploring the possibility of establishing separate WWE promotions running full-time in separate international markets. If everything went ahead it would go so far as to include separate TV tapings and storylines for each region, turning WWE from an overseas novelty into a local promotion.

Things are still in the preliminary stages but Vince McMahon has discussed it in detail with Stephanie, John Laurinaitis and others in the inner circle. The territories mentioned include a 'Pacific' region covering Japan, South Korea, China and Australia, a 'Hispanic' territory for Puerto Rico, Mexico and South America, and a European territory, with perhaps a Russian one at a later date. Meanwhile, in the USA, there would be two touring brands, most likely Raw and ECW, with Smackdown becoming the Hispanic brand as it is already well established in the market. Big pay increases would be given to senior agents and creative team members to move themselves and their families overseas, with potential performance bonuses depending on how well business goes. It would start off with a TV executive producer with experience of the region working closely with one agent and one writer who would be running the territory. There would also be a crew of wrestlers, who would also be expected to move their families overseas. Paul Heyman's name has actually been mentioned in connection to the Pacific region.

Shane McMahon, along with Selick, is working on a business plan for the venture, which remains in its formative stages. Potential drawbacks include the cost of producing WWE calibre shows, around $500,000 per week, and how TV stations in areas like Mexico would respond to the price. There is also the danger of international markets already beginning to get overexposed. Recent Japanese tours have not performed particularly well, there were concerns over the number of Australian tours, while advances for the next batch of Mexican dates have been well below expectations. Also, though WWE can get away with charging high prices for their shows at the moment as it is a novelty, doing so repeatedly would not help when taking on promotions like CMLL or AAA.

If it did come to pass then a lot of new wrestlers would of course be hired, as there would be a minimum of five brands. They are looking at promoting each market using both established WWE stars and top babyfaces based on ethnic backgrounds. Carlito, Mistico and Mysterio would be assigned to the Hispanic brand as top stars, they would look for a top Asian and Australian babyface, and guys like Regal, Finlay, Harry Smith and Paul Burchill could be assigned major roles in Europe. They would also likely raid the local markets in Japan and Mexico, whilst bringing back more of the '80s and '90s stars to make up the numbers. The only sure thing about the creative team members is that neither Stephanie McMahon nor Brian Gerwitz would work internationally. Gerwitz would likely become the chief writer of the USA brands, while Stephanie would hire more TV writers with Hollywood experience. Word is that the interntaionaly territories would be handled by Shane, with Vince concentrating on domestic business, though many have suggested that Vince's personality means he would want to be involved everywhere anyway.

Credit: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

Wow, that's risky. Obviously, they would have to have the numbers internationally to back it up, as well as the infrastructure to support it. Granted, the WWE has been running those markets for a while now and wouldn't enter into them without getting to know the lay of the land. Certainly a good move if successful, not only financially, but it also is an avenue to discover and create new stars. The negative being the possibility of drying out the international market, one that has been keeping the company profitable for the past few years. The positive being the possibility of expanding and developing those markets into being _more_ profitable.

To me, this also sounds like Shane making a push for the company.

My thoughts, both good and bad:

1. The Paul Heyman Pacific line made me laugh. Hopefully, that's not what they're thinking.

2. Is there enough talent to support this? Would they be setting up OVW and Deep South-like farm systems everywhere in the world?

3. Is WWE capable enough of thinking outside the box to allow each area to work its own style and have the style of booking that will be most effective in that area?

On the surface, it actually seems like a cool idea, and one that I think if executed properly could be awesome. If Vince does this successfully, it will crush any idea of legitimate competition ever stepping up to him again -- ever. It's a big risk, but it could pay off, and it seems like more of a good risk than most of the other ventures (XFL, WWE Films, etc) taken in the past few years.

Can it please be noted that I have not made a horrible joke regarding Vince McMahon getting Tony Atlas to dress up in his "old uniform" to helm any WWE projects in Africa because, and I quote, "It will make those in Africa feel more comfortable seeing one of their own in their modern clothing".

Please, for the record, I did not say any of this.

(PS, this is what I was referring to when I spoke of "old uniform".

http://www.blackjackmulligan.net/sections/...F_TonyAtlas.jpg

What else did you think I was talking about?

Oh. OOOH. That's racist.)

One of the best parts of this will hopefully be finding out who's on the Vince McMahon radar to run things locally along w/ the imported American office staff, like Jose Lothario running WWE Latino or something.

It's too bad that Victor is dead, since he likely would be the one to be the WWE's "hook up" for WWE Latino.

The worst part of all this is that if it goes through, Vince will buy up a load of lucha talent cheaply, damaging the industry down there while creating a new generation of Juve's who pissed away their potential.

John

I think they still have a fair amount left from the IPO, so initial costs won't be the problem. It's whether or not they can justify those costs by showing that the more developed markets will be profitable and that ties into just how developed those markets will be and the WWEs commitment in the areas of subject. Other problems would be dealing with local governments and other hazards that come with the territory (international sponsors, politics, taxes and hidden costs, organized crime, culture, etc). I am sure Shane has a good lay of the land, having been in charge of Global Media, where his duties include looking over their international live event bookings and tv distribution, so he probably has the contacts and knowledge (or at least contacts with the knowledge) that will make for a smooth transition as well as make knowing and controlling costs easier.

It just seems odd that a company that seems to have yearly firings to lower costs (so they can do things like pay the Diva Search winner $250,000) would want to put forth the money to secure TV/run shows/pay extra wrestlers and staff to run shows all over the world on a regular basis.

By that I mean, Shane is looking to prove he can handle the responsibilities of running the promotion on a grand scale, to show that he is much better suited for taking over the company whenever Vince decides to step down than Stephanie.

By that I mean, Shane is looking to prove he can handle the responsibilities of running the promotion on a grand scale, to show that he is much better suited for taking over the company whenever Vince decides to step down than Stephanie.

I get the feeling whenever Vince is no longer around we're going to see a CMLL/AAA style split since Shane and Stephanie seem to have completely opposite views on what direction to go.

I am sure Shane has a good lay of the land, having been in charge of Global Media, where his duties include looking over their international live event bookings and tv distribution, so he probably has the contacts and knowledge (or at least contacts with the knowledge) that will make for a smooth transition as well as make knowing and controlling costs easier.

Kurt Angle telling stories of giving Shane McMahon the number for China, doesn't fill me with the greatest of confidence.

• 6 months later...

STAMFORD, Conn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--World Wrestling Entertainment Inc., the global leader in sports entertainment, has announced a new global organization. Shane McMahon, Executive Vice President, Global Media, is expanding WWE's operations into London, Shanghai, Tokyo, Sao Paulo, Toronto and Sydney in an effort to tap into WWE's strong worldwide appeal.

The regional office in London will be led by Andrew Whitaker as the President of Europe, Middle East and Africa. Carl DeMarco will continue to focus on expansion through the Toronto office as the President of Canada, Latin America and China. Jonathan Sully will establish WWE's headquarters in Sydney, Australia, as the President of Asia Pacific.

"Whitaker, DeMarco and Sully will oversee integrated sales, marketing and digital initiatives as well as focus on new and emerging markets. This new structure will allow us to more quickly exploit business opportunities and leverage the strength of the WWE brand," said McMahon.

WWE showcases its unique cast of characters in more than 130 countries, putting smiles on faces worldwide.