Pro Wrestling Only

God help me, I started a newsletter

Bix

It's not a horrible idea. It was a really good one and I hope it's successful for you. Meltzer is always dancing with completely jumping over the line to MMA, and it's taking more and more of the newsletter space every week. Keller is ... Keller. Alvarez has his good and bad. I say you'll do a great job, and you'll basically ensure that the wrestling fan isn't forgotten in the Lessons of 2006 if you stick with it. I was pretty impressed with the debut issue.

I enjoyed the recaps since I am really tired of reading Meltzer and his formula but my only concern is how much info do you get from Meltz? Are you intentionally trying to avoid using Meltzer as a source?

When you do future interviews from your podcast, these would be great vehicles for post-interview commentary. Also, do you plan on doing any recaps or reviews of the tons and tons of older footage we are collecting?

I enjoyed the recaps since I am really tired of reading Meltzer and his formula but my only concern is how much info do you get from Meltz? Are you intentionally trying to avoid using Meltzer as a source?

Sort of but not exactly. Case by case.

When you do future interviews from your podcast, these would be great vehicles for post-interview commentary. Also, do you plan on doing any recaps or reviews of the tons and tons of older footage we are collecting?

Maybe.

Right, I'l try and be constructive.

I'll start off by saying it was an enjoyable and entertaining read, with excellent coverage of news and information, and I will certainly be reading future installments.

Thoughts...

- What is the target audience for this? While the history was nice, most 'smark' fans know most of that stuff already, so unless it was aimed at fans with a lesser knowledge of wrestling history, it wasn't greatly insightful, though it served as a nice reminder.

- This is purely personal preference, but I think it may have been better to have given mostly your thoughts on the matches, rather than describe what happened; basically, because most people either watch the event, or read the results, therefore already knowing what has happened, before reading your newsletter.

- Stylistic issues as well; there wasn't anything wrong with the style, lack I said, it was entertaining, but it seems to be verging between formal/news and informal/humour. Personally, I like it better when one style is used, at least for each seperate section.

- Layout - the columns work well if you're printing it off, but it's kind of annoying to have to scroll up the page again once I've read the the bottom of one column. Although this did give it a nice professional newsletter feel.

Hopefully this came across as pointers and advice, not criticism, but with my reputation, you never know B)

Right, I'l try and be constructive.

I'll start off by saying it was an enjoyable and entertaining read, with excellent coverage of news and information, and I will certainly be reading future installments.

Thoughts...

- What is the target audience for this? While the history was nice, most 'smark' fans know most of that stuff already, so unless it was aimed at fans with a lesser knowledge of wrestling history, it wasn't greatly insightful, though it served as a nice reminder.

Everyone, I guess?

- This is purely personal preference, but I think it may have been better to have given mostly your thoughts on the matches, rather than describe what happened; basically, because most people either watch the event, or read the results, therefore already knowing what has happened, before reading your newsletter.

Well, I veered into that more with Noah, but Wrestlemania is Wrestlemania, y'know? Work in progress anyway :)

- Stylistic issues as well; there wasn't anything wrong with the style, lack I said, it was entertaining, but it seems to be verging between formal/news and informal/humour. Personally, I like it better when one style is used, at least for each seperate section.

I get what you're saying, but I'm trying to keep a proper balance while letting a little bit of personality shine through. Think of it as a more casual WON as opposed to a more serious F4W.

- Layout - the columns work well if you're printing it off, but it's kind of annoying to have to scroll up the page again once I've read the the bottom of one column. Although this did give it a nice professional newsletter feel.

Gotcha. This is basically a placeholder until Murray does a layout for next week though, so it won't really matter.

Hopefully this came across as pointers and advice, not criticism, but with my reputation, you never know B)

It did! You did good.

• 1 year later...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Though I have flirted w/ turning LLT.net into a general nostalgia & such site w/ clippings/program/etc scans, history pieces, old TV recaps, etc, that also has a podcast.