Pro Wrestling Only

SHIMMER HERstory: A SHIMMER retrospective podcast

Grimmas

Stacey (Jimmy Redman) and I have started our trek through SHIMMER Women's Athletes history. Hope you join us. Volume 1 is up.

SHIMMER HERstory is a podcast that reviews each and every SHIMMER show, volume by volume. On this first episode, not only does Stacey and Steven discuss the entire Volume 1 show, but they discuss the concept behind SHIMMER Women's Athletes and the state of women's wrestling in 2005. Join them on their journey from the very beginning.

Watch SHIMMER at www.streamshimmer.com/

• 1 month later...

Yes, the debut of K-Nox is nigh. 

Knox only works 4 shows in Shimmer and I was convinced that she was going to be the woman who made womens wrestling matter on the national scale. Then she had her concussion issues and I was heart broken. Now it is the one thing in wrestling that makes me look clairvoyant. 

9 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Yes, the debut of K-Nox is nigh. 

Knox only works 4 shows in Shimmer and I was convinced that she was going to be the woman who made womens wrestling matter on the national scale. Then she had her concussion issues and I was heart broken. Now it is the one thing in wrestling that makes me look clairvoyant. 

It wasn't a concussion situation. She suffered eye/nerve damage which trust me it was still really bad especially suffering it in Germany far away from home but she would have been good to go to wrestle again after 6-9 months. The real truth was that Becky's mother was dead set against her Wrestling from the beginning. Becky scored really high in her exams and gained entry in the first or second College in Ireland depending on what you value. And she developed massive anxiety issues and was just locked in her own head for seven years. Refer to the most recent WWE Chronicle special on the WWE Network. It is a "shame" she still carries. The ins and outs of it all is worthy of a essay long post. But the kindest of people on the local scene tried and tried to build her confidence to little effect. As did the biggest and best international/WWE names. Becky went to grief consulting to try to settle her feelings about Pro Wrestling it was that acute. I've never known some locked in their own head as her. Personally gave up hope of a comeback a few months before she showed up at the Fight Factory in Bray with her hair down and a filled out adult frame introducing herself as Rebecca and just doing drills. A friend of mine was in that class and he just said to me before bedtime that "a new girl started and she was really good" and he knew about Rebecca Knox! The next day Becky's return spread all over the internet. 

SHIMMER wise Prazak always knew what he had in Becky in talking to surrounding people. Deliberately kept Becky separate from Melissa and Mercedes for example. Also APPARENTLY early pressing of DVDs referred to Becky as the female CM Punk whom Dave came up with IWA Mid South and stuff.

Prazak recently on Twitter said he'd release an unreleased Becky promo if she headlines Wrestlemania.  

10 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

Thanks Rovert, some interesting stuff. She went into some of that stuff on Lillian Garcia's podcast as well. It seems like around the heel turn she has finally coped with all that stuff and is super confident.

I wish there was a wrestler or general entertainment comparison. Most involve drugs but no drugs were involved here. Irish indie Wrestling started in 2002. Becky was like the only female anyone knew that was publicly into Wrestling. If she went into to town someone would ask her and at family functions her granny probably asked her if she was still "doing the Wrestling". She couldn't start an account on whatever on whatever early social media platform there was at the time given Pro Wrestling dork interest in her. It is a truly unique story.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey dudes, Steven Graham and I are back in business reviewing SHIMMER from the very beginning. Volume 6 is up, featuring Cheerleader Melissa vs. MsChif in a Last Woman Standing match, and Allison Danger vs. Rebecca Knox (Becky Lynch) in a Pure Rules match in what would unfortunately be Becky's last hurrah in SHIMMER, but between this and her promo, and unmissable one.

We're still finding our feet with this podcast, and we just got back on the horse, so as always any feedback or comments are welcomed and encouraged.

• 4 weeks later...

Our review of SHIMMER Volume 7 is up! Young Becky Lynch unfortunately suffers a career-ending injury, and is absolutely, positively never heard from in wrestling again. We deal with the impact of her short but memorable time in SHIMMER, how her injury changed her career, as well as the fallout for the company. Plus the debuts of LuFisto and Nattie Neidhart, and Cheerleader Melissa vs. Daizee Haze in the main event. Check it out!

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingonly/shimmer-herstory-volume-7?in=prowrestlingonly/sets/shimmer-herstory

5 hours ago, El Dragon said:

I always get a chuckle at you guys liking under card Cindy Rogers when at the time me and my friends would joke she was the most boring under card babyface on the roster. Like I’m used to somewhat uncharacteristic undercard babyfaces at the time, but my god. 

She's having good undercard matches, and I've always had a soft spot for underneath, white meat babyfaces. I dunno. There's something pure and wholesome about her, which I guess is why I'm so intrigued by the first inklings of something darker now.

• 1 year later...

We're back! From deep in the SHIMMER HERstory archives comes this rare and exclusive "lost episode", our July 2019 recording on SHIMMER Volume 8. Did we know the world was about to end? Probably not or I wouldn't have spent so much time talking about Australian country music. 

But this is a fun volume with the much anticipated third match between Sara Del Rey and Mercedes Martinez, a rare Minnesota Home Wrecking Crew tag team appearance, and much more. Can Melissa and MsChif get along as a tag team? Can Mercedes finally defeat Del Rey? Can I cope with Cindy Rogers' continued descent into evil? All this and more, check it out now on the PWOM Podcast Network!

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingonly/shimmer-herstory-volume-8-lost-episode

• 3 weeks later...

Stacey and Steven are back to regular scheduled programming, with a brand new episode covering Volume 9. We get new talent coming in, new match ups, new entrance themes! Plus Allison Danger taking Cindy Rogers under her wing, MsChif squaring up to Amazing Kong, and a mouth-watering main event in Sara Dey Rey vs. Cheerleader Melissa.

Available now on the PWO Podcast Network, and also for an exclusive one-time only, on the THROH The Years podcast feed!

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingonly/shimmer-herstory-volume-9

• 5 months later...

I've been a bad podcast co-host, but we are still going strong with SHIMMER HERstory, reviewing all the SHIMMER Volumes show by show. We have covered a lot of great stuff this year, including the amazing tournament to crown the first SHIMMER Champion on Volumes 11-12, the addition of Dark Angel Sarah Stock, the rise of Lacey the Superworker, and some of the very best matches in the history of the promotion. Current episode is Volume 14, SHIMMER's first foray outside of Chicago!

Make sure you give us some feedback if you're listening!

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingonly/sets/shimmer-herstory

• 5 months later...

Weeeee're back! Steven Graham and I review SHIMMER Volume 15 for all of your ears, up now on the PWOM Podcast Network.

Sara Del Rey defends against Amazing Kong! Daizee Haze and Sarah Stock have a (spoiler) motherfuckin' barnburner! Along with a rare and elusive Minnesota Home Wrecking Crew tag match, the final (?) Danger vs. Rogers match, and the debuts of Jetta, the future Madison Rayne and the future Canadian Ninjas.

We will be bringing you new episodes every Monday, so check it out and check in with us!

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingonly/shimmer-herstory-volume-15?in=prowrestlingonly/sets/shimmer-herstory&si=1bca8a55db5a4ac4a8dc0c4653fd122e

• 3 weeks later...

@Grimmas and I review SHIMMER Volume 16 in a hot fresh episode of SHIMMER HERstory!

We have the greatest, funnest, most shtickiest trios match EVER, the highly anticipated rematch between Sara Del Rey and Sarah Stock: Two out of Three Falls for the SHIMMER Title, and Amazing Kong vs. the amazing Cheerleader Melissa.

PLUS, thanks to a teeny tiny editing snafu there is 24 mins of BONUS CONTENT~!: We run down the card for the next show, Canada vs. Australia at the Winter Olympics, and I try to explain the Aussie football codes to poor Steven Graham.

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingonly/shimmer-herstory-volume-16?si=71c3add5dd0b4462ba30d0c941f652ff