Pro Wrestling Only

DVD #1: Dynamite Kid vs Marc Rocco

Loss

Before anyone says anything, I am aware the audio is out of sync with what is going on in the ring for this match. I think that is part of the PAL to NTSC conversion. That said, I still hope that doesn't make it impossible to watch this match.

Nice solid contest between two fantastic wrestlers. This was a match of two guys who really wanted a championship working hard and doing whatever it takes to get it, provided it doesn't get them disqualified.

While the finish was disappointing, it's actually a great way to set up future rematches, as neither man actually gained enough of an advantage for one man to be seen as better than the other.

I'd love to see how this one would go over 15 full rounds.

Two Brits I really enjoy. Rocco is a favorite of mine, and at times I think he may be better than DK, who I have always thought was incredibly overrated.

One thing that really stands out to me about this is the incredible level of height and impact of everything. Moves like backbody drops and double arm suplexes look like legit finishers because they are performed so well and both guys take such strong bumps. Both guys are also really good with tight forearms and knees.

One thing about the round system that makes things odd at times is it seems like guys make comebacks and cutoffs way early. There are several instances where one guy will hit a pretty high impct move and will almost immediately be on the defensive, but I guess that's the nature of the style. Either way at times this does feel like a really well worked Kurt Angle v. Chris Benoit match.

• 2 weeks later...

This was just a fantastic match. All the stuff both guys did as Lou Thesz would say held water. I mean everything they did seemed legit. The work was snugg and believable. Dynamie's knee drop looked like it caved in Rollerball's nose. Fun stuff.

Guest Real Man's Man

Yeah, as has been said by others, this was highly enjoyable, and everything that was done looked very good. The strikes looked really snug and sharp, and the bumps (from both men) had some real height on them. And neither man was afraid to land hard on anything they tried, even if it was from the top rope. All of which really helped give it the feel of a contest. In physical terms, Rocco may not quite have the oomph in what he does as Dynamite does, but if he doesn't then he really isn't far removed, and to my mind is a better all-rounder, bringing plenty of heeling and generally more character to this match. Rocco's physical ability plays really well alongside the obvious strengths of Dynamite Kid as well, and both men make sure things never get boring, bringing plenty of moments where they up the tempo before taking the pace down a little again, then amping it up again, etc. The match feels quite non-stop as a result.

I don't think this is a classic, and indeed both men have matches with Marty Jones (who will hopefully feature prominently on future discs) that I like better than this, though I think a good deal of that stems from the fact that Jones is more effective at wrestling as face than Dynamite, and so the matches benefit from a stronger heel-face dynamic. But that said, this is still a really enjoyable match. And I like that the finish made the prospect of a future re-match something to look forward to, with the promise of something even better in the future (even if that something in the future never actually occurred). Another match which fits really nicely onto this kind of disc.

Guest Real Man's Man

There are 2 DK-Rocco matches from this period, aren't there?

Yeah, the other one was from December 1981, I believe. This is the one where

both men go over the top rope on a suplex by Dynamite, and fail to make the count.

(just in case anyone who hasn't yet seen the match wants to see it without any prior knowledge of the finish).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest FlairPinnedMe

The rounds thing sort of bugs me, but when it's a match this good I don't think it even really matters. Just a smart match on all accounts.

The round thing bugs me too though it can work. It breaks the flow of a match and hurts heat segments. I've also seen it screw up what the wrestlers were doing by having the end of the round end.

There were two matches around this time but there was also an earlier match from 1981? that's available.

Guest FlairPinnedMe

I've also seen it screw up what the wrestlers were doing by having the end of the round end.

Yes, this is why it bugs me. I used to watch a lot of world of sport, but just couldn't get into the round structure unless it was really, really good.

The advantage of the rounds system is it gives matches a more sports like feel similar to boxing. I think the rest periods can also help the action to breathe. It doesn't really bug me at all, I find the unique dynamic it gives matches refreshing.

The match itself was very good, though I felt that Rocco and Dynamite had a better match in them if they were given more time. One thing that hasn't been touched upon is how the match really built well as the rounds went on with tempers flaring more and more, blows becoming stiffer and the pace becoming faster and faster.

Personally I loved the finish. I thought they sold the finish really well and made the high spot seem a lot more dangerous than it really was. Unlike most double count out finishes it didn't feel like a cheap cop out.

• 4 weeks later...

I love World of Sport as a change of pace... Ken Walton's understated and classy announcing style and the gentlemanly dynamic of the rounds system both add something that you really don't get anywhere else.

I can remember being really excited to see British Pro Wrestling when I went to visit my cousins in Scotland in the 1980s, and I was thrilled when one of my wrestling friends gave me a DVD a couple of years ago that had two old WOS shows featuring Dynamite Kid matches. He and Rocco had great ring chemistry, and Dyno is always a joy to watch when he's in there with someone who can take what he dishes out and hand him some right back...

• 1 month later...

"World Heavy Middleweight Title"

This cracked me up. That's one way to make your lighterweight titles not look inferior or less important than your heavyweight title.

The whole presentation, both the round system and the TV commentary, strikes me as pleasantly unique. The commentary especially comes off more "sport-like" than any wrestling announcing I've every heard. I've also never seen wrestling where the wrestlers are allowed to get a drink of water every three minutes.