Pro Wrestling Only

DVD #1: Mr. Perfect/Genius skit

Loss

You can't ever complain that the WWE was subtle about these things what with Poffo's deep breathing, fluttering eyelids, fawning puppy dog eyes, looks of exileration and broad grin. Though its so OTT you can't be offended by it or find it dull.

That said, I'm not sure such skits were a good way of making Hennig a serious opponent for Hulk Hogan. What has being a better diver than Hogan got to do with anything really?

I figured with the recent discussion about the Hogan/Perfect feud not drawing well at tOA that that would probably come up at some point. The feud was really too cutesy for a main event program, although they did a good job of making it more personal on SNME when Genius beat Hogan by countout and Perfect destroyed his belt. Still, coming off of the Savage feud, it felt a little anti-climatic.

Hogan/Genius from SNME is still one of my favorite matches, because of Poffo fluttering throughout the ring, purposely using really weak offense like backrakes, and his great "Ohmigawd!" reaction to Hogan hulking up.

I really think Lanny Poffo was the best part of the whole feud.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...