Pro Wrestling Only

RIP Paco Alonso

sek69

CMLL announced that Paco Alonso passed away yesterday, he was only 65. He was only the third person to run CMLL in its 86 year history after his father Salvador Lutteroth and his son Salvador (Chavo) Jr.  His daughter Sophia has been more visible recently as the face of the company in terms of management, but Paco was always a hands off guy and there was no indication he was battling any health issues.  Even the announcement of his death to the crowd at yesterday's show seemed to be kept secret, as the roster was in the ring for it and more than a couple seemed to react like they were hearing about it for the first time. 

It will be interesting to see how it changes the way CMLL operates, if at all. For all his aloofness, Paco was known as someone who'd hold grudges forever, and being on his shit list meant you'd never work for the company again. There was some noticeable change in that policy recent, with guys like LA Park showing up and having the Lucha Bros work both CMLL and AAA at the same time. Sophia just by appearing on CMLL shows is already seemingly more involved than her father was, so it will be interesting to see what comes next. 

He probably doesn't get enough credit for all the fans drawn to CMLL events under his leadership. I know plenty have argued that the way CMLL is structured makes it impossible for them to lose money, but it's not like there haven't been plenty of promoters who had a good thing going and killed the golden goose by fucking with the formula. If nothing else, he deserves to be recognized for being able to stay out of his own way. Also, being the only business partner New Japan is actually loyal to has to count for something.

I'd never seen photos of him before, and forgive me if this comes off as an odd question, but in the center picture on F4W that I assume is recent he looks like Ole Anderson.  I'm interested in genetics and history so I'm curious what his family background is.  There must have been a strong European influence somewhere in the bloodline

On 7/13/2019 at 2:08 PM, Al said:

According to the replies one of them was actually Fray Tormenta, a real priest/wrestler.

It's actually not uncommon in Mexico for wrestling and church to mix, AAA has a mass they do every year and Fray Tormenta not only is a real priest he was involved in getting over the original Mistico (the videos that introduced the character had him giving Mistico the mask). 

• GSR unpinned this topic