Pro Wrestling Only

AWA World Wrestling Federation

Scarlet-Left

WWF Superstars of Wrestling - Episode No. 7 - 31st of October, 1984 - Roundup Show

Advertised Match:

The Wild Samoans (Afa & Sika) versus The Moondogs (Moondog King & Moondog Spot)

A snazzy video package opens the show, with clipped footage from the most recent Saturday Night's Main Event, and the commentators (sat in a studio) announce that, in addition to the featured match, viewers will get to see the Takanos and an exclusive interview with Pat Patterson.

"But first, we want to take you back to Staurday Night's Main Event!"

Footage of the aftermath of Magnum, T.A. versus Bob Backlund is played. Backlund is furious, ranting and raving at his manager. Things eventually turn ugly, with Backlund throwing a punch and knocking Skaaland off the ring apron.

"Our hot tempered former challenger has insisted that Yoshiaki Yatsu's interference in the match had nothing to do with him and has, in fact, welcomed his punishment. Yatsu has been suspended for the whole month of November and will be ineligible to participate in the special battle royal being held on the fifth of January."

The Takanos (Shunji Takano & George Takano) defeat Billy Robinson & John Quinn in 09:43 when Shunji Takano pins John Quinn with a double arm suplex

Pat Patterson is in the studio when we return. Vince asks him to give his answer to Rocky Johnson.

"Dat's all I wanted, Rocky! You wanna' call me a coward? How're you gonna' call me a coward when I call your bluff? Huh? I'll put my career on the line, if dat's what it takes to make a man out of you!"

"Well, there you have it. Pat Patterson says yes. He will put his career on the line for a shot at Rocky Johnson's television championship. Let's get to our main event. Be advised, things got a little out of control in this one."

In a hellacious brawl, the Wild Samoans and the Moondogs have an intense back-and-forth. The Wild Samoans seemed to have the edge but couldn't manage to put their opponents away until both teams took up arms and spill to the outside.

The Wild Samoans (Afa & Sika) and the Moondogs (Moondog King & Moondog Spot) go to a no contest in 22:59

Backlund's character becomes more and more intriguing. Looks like he's going solo now.

Takano's are looking like strong tag title contenders.

Patterson makes a bold challenge to Johnson and puts his career on the line. I'm sure Johnson wont have a problem putting his TV title on the line.

Samoans and Moondogs go to a wild no contest. Great TV main event. 

WWF Superstars of Wrestling - Episode No. 8 - 7th of November, 1984 - Roundup Show

Advertised Match:

Rocky Johnson (C) versus Pat Patterson for the AWA/HBO Television Championship

A snazzy video package opens the show, with clipped footage from the most recent Saturday Night's Main Event, and the commentators (sat in a studio) announce that, in addition to the featured match, viewers will get to see an exclusive interview with Bob Backlund.

Jules Strongbow defeats Mike Sharpe in 07:31 by pinfall after a chop

The commentators throw to an interview conducted with a hoarse and breathless Backlund shortly after his loss at the previous Saturday Night's Main Event.

"What a joke! That no-good loser Arnold Skaaland and that ... that Yakeeakee Yatsu! I've had it! I never lost that belt ... not fair and square! That lumbering ape Andre the Giant cost me the first time and now this!?

He grabs a hold of the camera.

"Magnum, if you've got any guts at all you - you ... if you think you really are the world ... the WWF champion, then you listen here! I want a rematch with no tricks! I want a steel cage to keep the losers out! You listenin'? Steel cage ... now!"

The commentators seem excited by the prospect and promise a sit-down interview with Magnum, T.A. on the next instalment of Superstars. Afterwards they discuss the main event and the lead-up to it. They reiterate: "Pat Patterson's career is on the line tonight, ladies and gentlemen."

In a knock down, drag out, fight to the bitter end ...

Johnson begins the bout strong, with hooks and jabs that tease an extremely short contest. However, Pat pulls out all the stops to keep Rocky down. One particularly nasty spot sees Pat try to choke the life out of the champ with the ring ropes. Once he's finally pried off and Johnson is left to fall through, Patterson wastes no time in beating him up and down the ringside area, getting very close to the crowd on several occasions. After a two count, a reinvigorated Rocky Johnson manages to bust the challenger wide open.

Drenched in blood, sweating and staggering, and bumping around the ring, Patterson looks done for but he finds an out. He leaves. He marches up the entrance ... only to be blindsided by a club to the back. He is dragged back into the ring, narrowly avoiding a double count out decision. Dazed and confused and painted red Pat looks here, there and everywhere for a way out only to meet a fist and the one ... two ... three.

Rocky Johnson defeats Pat Patterson in 24:46 by pinfall after a knockout punch to retain the AWA/HBO Television Championship

• 2 weeks later...

WWF Superstars of Wrestling - Episode No. 9 - 14th of November, 1984 - Roundup Show

Advertised Match:

Bob Backlund versus David Sammartino

A new video package plays us in, with footage from the most recent title victories of Magnum, T.A., Rocky Johnson and the Road Warriors - all holding their gold aloft. The commentators promise that, in addition to the featured match, Magnum, T.A. will be giving an exclusive interview.

The Strongbows (Jay Strongbow & Jules Strongbow) defeat Tony Garea & Rene Goulet in 11:02 when Jules Strongbow pins Rene Goulet after a chop.

Magnum, T.A. is in the studio when we return. Vince McMahon prompts him with the question on everyone's minds:

"Last week we aired footage of our former champion Bob Backlund. He was deeply distressed by actions of his manager and the currently suspended Yoshiaki Yatsu after the latter's interference in your match. What do you think of his demands for a rematch, and a steel cage at that?"

"Well, first off, I'll say that I don't buy for a second that Backlund wasn't in on that whole situation with Yoshiaki Yatsu. He's trying to make the most of things and I don't know what entitles him to, uh, to dictate terms to me. I don't think he deserves a rematch. In fact, I've already agreed to face Stan Stasiak in just under a week. If the WWF tells me to face Backlund for a third time, so be it, but I'm the champion and he's the challenger so he'll have to earn it."

"Interesting words from our champion and make sure you tune in next week to see him go one-on-one with Stan Stasiak."

Our main event is an ugly and uneven contest. Bob Backlund is unhinged, battering David Sammartino up and down the ring, with little opportunity for either man to catch his breath. Backlund's humiliation tactics almost come back to bite him, however, when a lazy pin attempt is reversed into a small package for a dangerous two count. Eventually Backlund's ferocity proves too much and the legend's son gives up like all the rest.

Bob Backlund defeats David Sammartino in 17:36 by submission with a chicken wing.

WWF Superstars of Wrestling - Episode No. 10 - 21st of November, 1984 - Roundup Show

Advertised Match:

Magnum, T.A. (C) versus Stan Stasiak for the WWF Heavyweight Championship

A new video package plays us in, with footage from the most recent title victories of Magnum, T.A., Rocky Johnson and the Road Warriors - all holding their gold aloft. The commentators promise that, in addition to the featured match, we will see the Wild Samoans in action.

The Wild Samoans (Afa & Sika) defeat Johnny Rodz & Steve Lombardi in 09:13 when Sika pins Steve Lombardi after a Samoan drop

The commentators excitedly discuss the main event and deliver news from the WWF President. "The main event of Saturday Night's Main Event, on the seventh of December, will be between Bob Backlund and the WWF Heavyweight champion. On account of mister Backlund's demands, the WWF have agreed in principle to a steel cage. The champion, however, will ultimately be allowed to decide what the stipulation will be... Now, let's go to our main event!"

Stasiak's plan is clear from the off. He wants to beat Magnum with a strong grappling game. What is also quickly made clear is that he doesn't have the strength for it. The champion powers out of the full nelson hold with ease, and similarly thwarts multiple attempts at a bear hug. Magnum's fast pace and fierce strikes lead to a severely winded challenger by the mid point of the match. 

Stasiak eventually manages to lock in a sleeper hold when Magnum mistimes a run to the ropes. Unfortunately for the challenger, the struggle seems to sap just as much energy from him as it does from Magnum and his weary body give up. Out of desperation he meets a fired up champion with a heart punch. Magnum drops with force but he's too close to the ropes. When he rolls out, Stasiak appears close to tears. He barks insults at the crowd as they hiss and boo. To his dismay, though not to his shock, hauling Magnum back in is only good for a two count.

After that, it's all Magnum. Stasiak is too tired, physically and emotionally, to put up a fight and he falls to suplex.

Magnum, T.A. defeats Stan Stasiak in 21:40 by pinfall after a belly-to-belly suplex to retain the WWF Heavyweight Championship

• 3 weeks later...

WWF Superstars of Wrestling - Episode No. 11 - 28th of November, 1984 - Roundup Show

Advertised Match:

The Wild Samoans (Afa & Sika) versus The Strongbows (Jay Strongbow & Jules Strongbow)

A new video package plays us in, with footage from the most recent title victories of Magnum, T.A., Rocky Johnson and the Road Warriors - all holding their gold aloft. The commentators promise that, in addition to the featured match, Magnum, T.A. will be giving an exclusive interview.

The commentators start the show hyping up the main event of SNME XV. Vince is looking forward to interviewing the champ, who will be deciding whether or not to agree to face Backlund in a cage.

Ivan Putski defeats Mike Sharpe in 06:11 by pinfall after a Polish hammer

When we return, Magnum is sitting in the studio. McMahon wastes no time asking him whether or not his match on the 7th of December will be in a steel cage.

"Well, that's up to Bob Backlund. If he wants a steel cage, he can have it. Of course ... if gets his stipulation, then I get mine. We can't have the challenger dictating terms to the champion, can we? So, these are my terms, Backlund. You want a cage? Then give me what I want ... Loser Leaves Town. When you lose, you pack your bags and get the hell out of the WWF. We got a deal, Bob?"

"Huh ho! That's certainly an interesting proposal! We'll have to Bob Backlund on the show next week to share his answer! You won't want to miss that! Now, let's take you to our main event. The winners of this contest will go on to face the very successful Takanos!"

Our main event is full of twists and turns. The story is much the same on both sides, with an ageing warhorse on each team; tough and powerful but slow and easily exhausted. The more uneven team are the Strongbows, and that is there undoing once Jules is worn down and Jay finds it impossible to make up for it.

The Wild Samoans (Afa & Sika) defeat The Strongbows (Jay Strongbow & Jules Strongbow) in 23:59 when Sika pins Jay Strongbow after a Samoan drop

WWF Superstars of Wrestling - Episode No. 12 - 5th of December, 1984 - Roundup Show

Advertised Match:

The Takanos (Shunji Takano & George Takano) versus The Wild Samoans (Afa & Sika)

A new video package plays us in, with footage from the most recent title victories of Magnum, T.A., Rocky Johnson and the Road Warriors - all holding their gold aloft. The commentators promise that, in addition to the featured match, Bob Backlund will be giving an exclusive interview.

David Sammartino defeats Korstia Korchenko in 05:03 by DQ after interference from Arnold Skaaland

Vince McMahon talks us in. "Well, ladies and gentlemen, we had scheduled an interview with Mister Backlund but he -"

"I'm here now, McMahon!" Backlund's voice is nearly hysterical as he bursts onto the screen and accosts the host.

"Well, uh, Mister Backlund our fans want to know whether you accept Mag -"

"I accept!" Backlund fires some spit across the room and turns to the camera. "I wanted to tell you in person but you ... but you're a coward! I can't get a hold of you!" The camera has to pull back and tilt up to accommodate for Backlund, who jumps onto the desk and points his finger at camera. "That's not gonna' be a problem for long, mind you! You just ... 'Cause you just ... you signed your death warrant last week! When I get my belt back, you're going ... you're gone! Gone! Gone from the WWF! Gone for good! You stole my belt!"

Arnold Skaaland arrives on the scene, presumably to calm his client down.

"And you! You piggy little crook! You'll carry my jacket! And if you screw me out of the WWF, you'll be sorry!" A few agents arrive on the scene and manage to coax Backlund down but he gets one more shot at Skaaland in before he's taken off camera. "You'll be more than sorry ... you'll be dead!"

Vince saunters back into view. "Well, you heard it here, folks. Make sure you're tuned in. This Saturday, we'll have Magnum, T.A. defending his WWF title against Bob Backlund in a steel cage, and the loser will to be forced to leave the world wrestling federation. Also, the winner of our main event here on Superstars will face the Road Warriors for the tag team championship."

The Takanos put on an impressive performance and a valiant effort that almost threatens to end the match in a time limit draw. Sika, however, perhaps having learned from the previous week's match, ups his game and nets a win in the eleventh hour.

The Wild Samoans (Afa & Sika) defeat The Takanos (Shunji Takano & George Takano) in 29:47 by pinfall when Sika pins George Takano after a Samoan drop

LOL! Oh man that Backlund promo was insane, awesome and to much fun! Great stuff! It's fun watching the champ Magnum being so cool and relaxed while Backlund is losing his mind. These promos really did the job of getting fans to buy tickets. That loser leaves town cage match will no doubt be a satisfying conclusion to a very intense and heated feud. 

Putski gets a strong showing.

A Sammartino/Korchenko program could benefit both men and give them a chance to shine. 

Samoans get a shot at the Road Warriors...YES! 

• 4 weeks later...

Saturday Night's Main Event XV from the Brendan Bryne Arena in East Rutherford - 7th of December, 1984 - Broadcast Live

Arena Card:

MAIN EVENT

Magnum, T.A. (C) versus Bob Backlund for the WWF Heavyweight Championship

The Road Warriors (Hawk & Animal) (C) versus The Wild Samoans (Afa & Sika) for the AWA International Tag Team Championship

Andre the Giant versus Jesse Ventura

The Moondogs (Moondog King & Moondog Spot) versus Billy Robinson & John Quinn versus The Takanos (Shunji Takano & George Takano) versus Tony Garea & Rene Goulet versus The Strongbows (Jay Strongbow & Jules Strongbow) versus Johnny Rodz & Steve Lombardi versus The Rougeaus (Armond Rougeau & Jacques Rougeau) versus Mike Sharpe & Korstia Korchenko

Rocky Johnson (C) versus Pedro Morales for the AWA/HBO Television Championship

Bruno Sammartino & David Sammartino versus a local team

We join the finishing stretches of a match in progress, as Johnson capitalises on an exhausted Pedro Morales. The two are conciliatory with one another after the bout, with Morales raising the hand of the champion and showing him off to the crowd.

Rocky Johnson (C) defeats Pedro Morales by pinfall after a back body drop in

The commentators talk up the show to come, chatting most excitedly about the main event's cage match but also briefly discussing the next match. A special tag team battle royal which promises both members of the winning team a spot in the fifth of January's big battle royal. Before the bell rings, we also get to see the result of the night's opening contest.

Bruno Sammartino & David Sammartino defeat a local team by submission after Bruno Sammartino applied a bear hug (aired out of order)

The next contest is a wild brawl from start to finish. The Moondogs first eliminate Rene Goulet. Tony Garea then manages to take out Moondog King, with help from  a handful of others but Garea is tipped over as well. Moondog Spot eliminates himself to go after Garea, initiating a brawl between the Moondogs and Goulet & Garea which dips into the crowd and is broken up towards the middle point of the match.

Steve Lombardi goes next, eliminated by George Takano, followed by Jay Strongbow who is eliminated by Mike Sharpe. The Rougeaus then dominate with a round of eliminations, including Johnny Rodz, Korstia Korchenko and John Quinn. Billy Robinson proves more difficult to eliminate, creating a mass of bodies at the ropes who are all eliminated by the Takanos. That leaves only Jules Strongbow, who puts in a valiant performance but is eventually overcome.

The Takanos (Shunji Takano & George Takano) win the special tag team battle royal in 24:47

In anticipation of the next contest, the commentators discuss Andre the Giant's status as the undisputed king of the battle royal, the fact that he's already secured a place in January fifth's extravaganza. In general, they are unclear as how his performance tonight should be factored into any pre-match analysis of the new year's big bout.

Ventura plays his part well, stirring the crowd into a hateful frenzy with every cheat and shortcut in the book. Over the course of the match, Ventura attempts about nine scoop slams and three suplexes, all to no avail. The final attempt results in a back injury, a massive slap across the chest and beating from one end of the ring to the other.

Andre the Giant defeats Jesse Ventura in 20:31 by pinfall after an elbow drop

What comes next is an absolute rout. Afa is neutralised early with clothesline to the outside, from which he never recovers, and Sika does not have anywhere near what it takes to fending off the Road Warriors.

The Road Warriors (Hawk & Animal) defeat The Wild Samoans (Afa & Sika) in 07:12 to retain the AWA International Tag Team Championship when Hawk pins Sika after a flying lariat

The main event is a feature of much speculation from the commentators. Why did Backlund want a cage? Can Magnum win for the third time in a row? How will the two stipulations factor into the match? What has been the cause of miscommunication between Backlund and Skaaland?

Backlund approaches the ring, in his glitzy jacket, with a worried-looking Skaaland by his side. The two men exchange terse words and Skaaland is bid to, dutifully, hold on to the jacket as Magnum begins his approach to the ring.

As soon as the cage is put up, Skaaland pushes the jacket through it and hands it off to Backlund. Magnum, running over to investigate, gets clocked in the head by the jacket and the bell rings. On his knees, Magnum is beaten over the head with the, now obviously loaded, jacket half a dozen more times. The champ crawls to the other side of the cage once Backlund relents. Skaaland wanders over to meet him and screams abuse through the bars.

Bob Backlund, meanwhile, delights in the anguish of the crowd and saunters around the ring. He gets to Magnum, now gushing with blood, and drags him to his feet, tosses the jacket to Skaaland and parades the groggy Magnum around the ring before blistering him with strikes to the head. A headlock provides Magnum with his first opportunity to fight back as, with a great deal of effort, he transitions the move into a back body drop. His momentum is lost, however, as Backlund manages to rise to his feet sooner than Magnum can.

Determined to teach him a lesson, Backlund drags Magnum over to Skaaland, who mockingly waves the jacket in his face. Just before Backlund can cinch another headlock in, Magnum lunges towards the cage and snatches the jacket. Magnum overpowers Skaaland with ease but the brief tussle allows Backlund to catch his opponent out with a kick to the leg. The two men then manage to pull the jack apart between them, causing the gimmick to fall out. As their struggle continues, the referee takes the foreign object away and hands it to a group of ringside officials.

The contest is even, ugly and stiff from then on, with Magnum's natural strength advantage neutralised by the weapon attack at the start of the match. Magnum makes no attempt to escape the cage at any point, even at the times when he has ample opportunity, seemingly determined to achieve a more decisive victory. Backlund, by contrast, regularly pursues escape attempts where no plausible opportunity exists. These attempts take their toll on both men but Magnum tends to come out the worst for it, as Backlund often manages to land on him after his escape is thwarted.

The end comes when Backlund, with Magnum hot on his heels, ascends the cage wall. Both men are exhausted, sweating profusely and panting heavily. To loosen Magnum's death grip on his left leg, Backlund kicks out with his right heel. It thunders against Magnum's head and the champ falls to the ground.

Bob Backlund defeats Magnum, T.A. (C) in 35:22 by escaping the cage to win the WWF Heavyweight Championship

Highlights from the rest of December ...

WWF Superstars of Wrestling - Episode No. 13 - 12th of December, 1984

The commentators spend the bulk of this show promoting the forthcoming Royal Rumble, scheduled for the fifth of January, at the Paul Sauvé Arena. The rules are explained and a golden tumbler is introduced for the purposes of assign entrant numbers to participating wrestlers. Andre the Giant wins the 20th slot, in this exciting thirty man contest.

Bob Roop defeats Johnny Rodz in 06:51 by pinfall

WWF Superstars of Wrestling - Episode No. 14 - 19th of December, 1984

This episode features the assignment of entrant slots to the Takanos. Shunji wins the 3rd slot but, before George can take his, the pair are waylaid by the Road Warriors. Hawk demands the chance to enter the match for himself and Animal, and McMahon is not inclined to argue but can offer nothing.

Bob Backlund (C) defeats a local talent in 00:23 by submission to retain the WWF Heavyweight Championship

WWF Superstars of Wrestling - Episode No. 15 - 26th of December, 1984

Vince McMahon informs the audience that the Takanos have agreed to put their entry numbers into the Royal Rumble on the line in return for a title shot against the Road Warriors. Hawk invades the studio set later on to accept the challenge.

The Moondogs (Moondog King & Moondog Spot) defeat Bruno Sammartino & David Sammartino in 16:36 by pinfall 

Backlund regains the title!!!! This had a great build full of surprises and intrigue. It now appears that Backlund and Skaaland had a plan all along. Looking forward to a wild and crazy Backlund run. 

Tag Team battle royals are always fun. Takanos get a good rub with that win. 

Road Warriors are chasing chaos! They decimate the Samoans and are now targeting the Takanos. 

Andre seems like an odds on favorite to win the Rumble. 

Liking Bob Roop in this territory. He can still do some damage.

Moondogs get a big win over Bruno and David. This should put them in title contention. 

Rocky Johnson is doing very well as TV champ. He's having a fun run. 

Real WWF feel to this one.

Interested to see who is coming after Backlund

RW vs Samoans would be a great one.  Like that the Roadies came out on top.  Not sure if the Takanos will hold up if they are next

Andre could do anything ... looking to see what is next.

Love the use of Rocky Johnson... he was truly great for a long time

- This new-ish WWF is interesting, as it still has the old school McMahon Sr. feel with folks like Morales, the Sammartino's, Tony Garea, the Strongbow's, and even some Japanese teams around, but it also has Magnum TA at the top, which stops it from being too moribund. 

- The Rock's Dad successfully beating Morales makes sense, as Johnson is still in his prime-ish, while Morales is all but done. 

- The downside of having Bruno is that it's realistic you also have David, to deal with. At least you're keeping Bruno involved. 

- Very fun tag team battle royal, with the Takano's getting a big win. 

- Andre/Ventura wouldn't have been pretty, but it's what the crowd would've wnted

- The cage match is awesome, and I realize everybody does a Backlund heel turn if they fantasy book around this time, but that's because it makes sense. I expect Magnum to eventually regain the WWF title, if only because there's not another top face I can see taking it off Backlund anytime soon.