Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Hall of Fame 2020-21

flyonthewall2983

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, sek69 said:

I'm sure there's an alternate timeline where King Kong Brody is getting inducted in the AWA Hall of Fame,

I’d prefer the alternate timeline where the 75 year old is making appearances at fan fests and cons ;)

FWIW, no one has answered me about why the indifference towards essentially a promotion’s HOF, even with all the marketing over hype, drive for tickets sales, and production given to it on an annual basis gets complete shat on, yet fans of certain non-scripted sports teams get all bent out of shape over who’s number is or isn’t retired, who’s in or out of their team’s version of a Hall of Fame, if the team should even have a version of a Hall, and who should have a statue in their honor erected by the team at their stadium/arena!

Case in point, something caught my interest in an Major League Baseball team’s media guide this year where in a section listing the entire roster by uniform number, the text is broken up with pictures spotlighting the six men who have their uniform numbers retired, and two other players.  Rumors and speculation have been swirling since both men retired (also one has been deceased for nearly a decade now) are due to be among those announced as the next retired number honorees, but more likely it was just random luck that these two franchise legends got the pics to break up the text on those pages.

Anyway, I posted about the “interesting” nature of the layout on a forum of fans of said team, and a poster who is no fan of the deceased former star lost his shit over why this guy, who admittedly has tangible reasons for not getting his number retired by the franchise (only spent 5  of his 19 MLB seasons with the team, and was his future baseball HOFer self for 2 of them, and was good to barely mediocre for the other 3), is constantly being considered!

The poster has personal issues with the player’s off-field antics and such as well, but I so want to bring the prevailing attitude of the IWC towards the WWE Hall of Fame to this guy, and simply be all;

Don’t care so much, selections are all arbitrary according to whomever is in charge of the franchise!  Plus it’s all part of ways to sell tickets on games that they don’t think will sell well!

No real sports HOF would be able to get away with half the crap WWE does. If Monument Park had a plaque for George Steinbrennner's limo driver and placed Mickey Mantle in a separate lower-profile wing because they didn't think he was as marketable to modern fans as Bernie Williams, the New York and sports media would rip them to shreds. With WWE, they don't care since it's just wrestling and it's all fake anyway.