Pro Wrestling Only

Edge sidelined with injury

Loss

Smackdown title curse strikes again

Edge has a torn pectoral muscle from taking a bad bump during the Mardi Gras angle on the Smackdown show that aired on Friday. He is out for an undetermined length of time, depending upon whether he goes in for surgery and just tries to have it heal from rehab. He was particularly bummed over the timing of the injury because the plan was a long reign as champion and top star on the brand.

The plan as of yesterday, which still could be changed today, was for a Battle Royal to determine the new champion. The winner of the Battle Royal will make their first title defense on Sunday's Great American Bash in San Jose.

WWE is really having a horrible year.

Bix is right though, he was supposed to have gone off the gas when the Wellness policy was introduced and is one of the people who seem to have stayed off. I still find the timing very ironic and if they had a much stricter, better enforced drug policy they would probably have more top stars around who were healthy and ready for the role of World champion.

You can tell that Edge is definitely much skinnier now than he was, say, after he came back from neck surgery.

So, now what for Smackdown? At least they've still got a few guys they could stick the title on: Batista, Khali, Henry, or even Finlay, Hardy, or Flair if they get desperate enough that they look for a non-hoss.

Guest teke184

You can tell that Edge is definitely much skinnier now than he was, say, after he came back from neck surgery.

So, now what for Smackdown? At least they've still got a few guys they could stick the title on: Batista, Khali, Henry, or even Finlay, Hardy, or Flair if they get desperate enough that they look for a non-hoss.

Batista - Doubtful. Steroid freak.

Khali - Possible. He'd have to be booked right.

Henry - Seriously doubtful. He's said some things in public that will piss off the brass.

Finlay - A possibility if he wasn't part of management. A road agent and/or booker shouldn't be a title-holder IMHO.

Hardy - I don't see them doing it unless they're desperate, a la Bret Hart getting the duke in 1992.

Flair - He has the gravitas to pull it off, but I don't see them doing it. If nothing else, it would mean at least 1-2 more reigns for Trips somewhere down the line.

Khali is the best bet, especially if they go the total Yokozuna route and build him up as an unstoppable heel that will be defeated at Mania.

Sadly, I think because of WWE's mindset, the title is more likely than ever to go back to Batista at this point. I also think Lashley going over Cena wouldn't surprise me. Vince has to make it clear to the media that they won't dictate how he does business.

Guest teke184

According to a spoiler I've heard, Khali won the battle royal for the belt.

That means he'll get a push just like his uncle, Yokozuna, did 14 years ago under similar circumstances (shitty business, steroid trial, etc.)

Guest teke184

Uncle?

My mistake... I was thinking of *Umaga*, not *Khali* when I said that.

Umaga's actually Yoko's cousin anyway, but that goddamn family tree is completely twisted. (It's hard to tell who's an uncle, a brother, or an adopted relative without a scorecard.)

Jesus, they did it again?

Remember when Batista was injured and had to vacate the title? Well, it's always bugged the shit out of me that instead of making the Royal Rumble winner the new Smackdown champion 3 weeks later, they instead hotshotted the title to Kurt Angle in a battle royal on Smackdown.

So, now, when they could have a battle royal or quick 4-man tournament to determine a new champion at the Great American Bash and possibly convince more people to order the show due to the intrigue of who might become champ, they (reportedly) quickly hot shot the belt to a champ before the show.

It doesn't make sense to me.

Guest teke184

A 4-man tourney for the belt has been death the last few times they tried it, mainly because the WWE gets cute with the booking and fucks it all up.

Witness Jericho's Undisputed Title win at Vengeance 2001 and how it was handled, both before and after.

A 4-man tourney for the belt has been death the last few times they tried it, mainly because the WWE gets cute with the booking and fucks it all up.

Witness Jericho's Undisputed Title win at Vengeance 2001 and how it was handled, both before and after.

Point very well taken. The Jericho handling was a mess.

Still, they couldn't just move the battle royal to the GAB and use all two hours of Smackdown to build up to the match? Have guys cutting promos about how important it is to them to win the gold, have the top five or six guys in the battle royal win cleanly in singles matches put them over as threats, etc.

Now what is it? Khali vs. Kane for the belt with absolutely no build? How is that a better solution?

Khali vs Batista is the match booked. Batista will win the belt. I blame HHH because he's the one that had Kennedy put on Raw. They could have had Kennedy pin Edge and get the belt. I agree that the battle royals are stupid but who would they have put in the tourney? Batista, Khali, Kane and who else? Henry? He'll be jobbed out and released within 6 months.

They're actually planning to run Khali v Batista v Kane in a PPV main event? It would be almost worth picking up this PPV just to see this - it has to be the worst title match on paper, like ever, surely? While sounding strangely appealing at the same time.

This Smackdown injury curse is incredible, since late 2004, they must have had at least 15 - 20 injuries to top guys, it seems every few weeks there's a new big star on SD getting injured, often the champion. Raw, on the other hand, rarely seems to suffer from this.

Great Khali as Champion sounds pretty horrible, and surely instead of a stupid Battle Royal, they could have had a 4-Way at the PPV or something. Edge could have even worked it, and got taken out really early.

Guest teke184

If Batista vs. Undertaker could be good then Batista/Kane could as well. Khali drags down any match, but his value isn't in his wrestling ability.

Undertaker is vastly surperior to Kane in just about every measurable way.

Kane's generally bland but serviceable.

Taker ranges the gamut from very good to offensively bad.

When Taker's pissed off, the match is generally an abortion-bucket leftover.

A lot of his matches from about May 2001 through 2003 and 2004 were generally crap because he was so pissed off about his standing in the company and generally made anyone wrestling him look bad as a result.

(He flipped the fuck out after his KOTR 2001 program with Austin was canceled, which was part of why the DDP program was such an abortion.

DDP's history of back problems, which meant that he didn't do a lot of flat-back bumps as a result, also pissed Taker off immensely.)

There is no doubt that you can find alot of bad Taker matches.

But you can find alot of bad Kane matches also, and the reality is that in recent years most of the high end Taker matches (and there have been alot) were a result of Taker working as hard or harder than his opponent.

Batista is just the kind of guy that Taker seems to bring out the best in..Kane has no record of bringing out the best in anyone.

Kane puts up with more bullshit than just about anyone. I mean, here's a guy who's absolutely huge, can wrestle a good match with any halfway competent opponent, and unlike Taker is willing to sell for pretty much anyone. And what does he get as a result? He becomes the world's biggest JOTS and gets stuck with more completely ludicrous Wrestlecrappy angles than just about anyone in history. The company seems allergic to actually putting him in the main event or giving him a run as champion. And, if memory serves, didn't more people buy tickets to See No Evil than to Cena's or Austin's movies?