Pro Wrestling Only

Blood & Guts

The Thread Killer

Sounds like (as a lot of people expected) they are going to do The Elite vs. The Inner Circle when AEW does their version of War Games on March 25.  Makes sense when you consider that these are the top two factions in AEW, although really neither group really has any major issues with the other right now that would (for storyline purproses) necessitate a grudge match of this magnitude.   I would have thought it would be better to have The Inner Circle vs. Moxley, Darby, Dustin and some Tag Team.  You couldn't really come up with a team to go against The Elite, since their biggest story right now is against each other.  But I can see why they wouldn't run this match without The Elite in it, for obvious reasons. If they are planning on having The Elite fracture with the whole Kenny/Hangman vs. The Bucks rivalry, this might be the time to do it.  Lord knows if Adam Page comes into the cage chugging beers and not listening to his teammates, there might finally be the big split we've all been expecting.  Either way, it should be a hell of a show and it is a lot more compelling to watch than anything WWE has done since...I don't even remember when.  I can't believe they're giving this away on free TV.

AEW-Blood-Guts.jpeg

I am looking forward to this match. I agree with TTK about the Elite and the Inner Circle not really having a strong reason to face each other in this match right now. I was hoping that somehow, Mox and MJF get inserted in this match. I am still hoping they do, so maximum feuds can be continued with this match.

Hopefully they'll still mention it, at least.

Very much looking forward to this but it would have been nice to at least give us a little something on the last Dynamite to put these two groups back into contention again. I remember at one point it felt inevitable that this match would happen but Cody/MJF, Mox/Jericho, and Elite vs. Elite is very much at the forefront right now. Thought I suppose that last story could easily play into the match...

2 hours ago, Mrzfn said:

I'm guessing the idea is to sell fans outside the bubble on the idea first and use it for PPV later? That or they care more about their TV deal than about their PPV buys.

I think they're trying to limit the number of times they're asking people to pay $50. Also, as a PPV main event, it would really drain the undercard of star power, which is why they might be leery to use it there. As the main event of a two hours show, that's less of an issue. (I'm sure popping a big rating helps too, considering that the TV deal does seem to be the big driver for wrestling companies now.)

18 hours ago, Migs said:

I think they're trying to limit the number of times they're asking people to pay $50.

I was the first person around here to go mental when I found out AEW was charging $50.00 for their Pay Per Views through traditional cable providers (and they still are, for the record.) However, my opinion of them mellowed tremendously when I bought Revolution for only $19.99 on Fite TV. (Not sure what BR Live charges, and I don't want to find out since I've heard a couple of complaints about crashing/freezing/lagging etc.)  As I said over in the ROH thread, the fact that AEW is only charging twenty bucks to stream a PPV (with unlimited replays, no less) when companies like ROH are charging as much as $15.00 more boggles my mind. If you're going to order an AEW PPV then that seems the way to do it, and for my money it's a hell of a deal.

I know a lot of people are saying traditional PPV is pretty much dead, and I'm not sure it is for events like boxing, but for Pro Wrestling I don't see myself ever ordering a traditional PPV again.  I'm an old guy who still managed to figure out how to easily watch Fite TV on my television and have enjoyed several Pro Wrestling PPV's that way over the past couple of months.  Hell, the last NWA PPV only cost me $15.00 and the Crockett Cup in only going to be $20.00 if you pre-order. From everything I have heard, the reason Pro Wrestling companies have to charge so much for a PPV on traditional cable is because of the split with the cable companies...apparently the Pro Wrestling companies don't make any significant money from a PPV unless they charge a higher price, otherwise the cable provider basically pockets all the profit. There really doesn't seem to be much excuse to pay $50.00 for a Pro Wrestling PPV on traditional cable anymore, honestly.

Are PPV viewing parties no longer a thing? It seems like that'd be an easy way to split the cost. Then again, that may not be a viable option with the wrestling fanbase having shrunk so much and society becoming increasingly atomized. I'd be willing to bet that a substantial number of wrestling fans don't know any other fans who they regularly interact with in person.

8 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

I'd be willing to bet that a substantial number of wrestling fans don't know any other fans who they regularly interact with in person.

That's the problem right there.  I generally enjoy watching Pro Wrestling with friends rather than on my own.  Problem is, I only have three friends who watch Pro Wrestling.  One is an even bigger fan than I am and will watch pretty much anything, so if we can get together we will split costs for PPV's.  The other two were devoted fans up until around the end of the Monday Night Wars.  Once Vince pretty much became the main game in town and WWE went downhill creatively, they both stopped watching.  I got them both into early Ring of Honor and 90's AJPW compilations, but neither will touch the modern product.  I recently got them to watch an NXT Takeover with me, but anything modern is always a tough sell with those guys.If left to their own devices, neither guy will watch anything. I wish I did know more people who lived within reasonable distance of me that watched Pro Wrestling.

I don't have too many friends into pro wrestling anymore. $50 is too much for a PPV in 2020, when you can get every WWE PPV for $10/mo. I would probably plunk down $30 or less to watch a show w/ a good lineup, though.

Putting Blood & Guts on free TV makes sense. Not that I anticipate they'll have any problems, but this will let them work out any kinks with how they run the gimmick, before putting it on PPV and risking some kind of screw up with their production of it. 

As far as the teams in it, maybe they'll keep playing up this Nick Jackson injury, and then have the Elite injure one of the Inner Circle members. Each team gets one replacement member (Moxley and MJF would make most sense). Could sort of be a replay of the 1993 All Americans vs Foreign Fanatics angle.