Pro Wrestling Only

Global and SMW primers - help sought

thebrainfollower2

GWF

Just for starters:

- The infamous Bungee Match between Steven Dane and Chaz: Not a great artistic success, but no overview of the promotion should be without it.

- The rise of The Patriot: Winning the title but refusing to take it because his opponent's foot was under the ropes, his championship reign, feud with Dark Patriot.

The rise of the Ebony Experience (the future Harlem Heat - Booker T and Stevie Ray): Their angle with Gary Hart, Tag Title reign, and Booker T's eventual singles run.

Lightning Kid vs. Jerry Lynn has already been mentioned, and is of course essential.

6 hours ago, Stiva said:

For early SMW that isn’t mentioned too much, that incredible Heavenly Bodies/Fantastics backstage brawl that ends with Cornette’s car window being smashed. Cornette follows it up with an all-timer promo the following week.

That one is really good. 

I also love the Orndorff piledriver angle with Hector Guerrero and the Down N Dirty with the Dirty White Boy living in a school bus. 

10 minutes ago, thebrainfollower2 said:

Which Kid-Lynn match is the best one to show and is it on the network or online elsewhere?

Their best stuff was in Minnesota indies in 1990, but they had a a few decent matches in GWF. 

7/13/91 (Light Heavyweight Tournament Finals) & 12/27/91 (2/3 Falls with a weird finisher stip) 

The first one without the gimmick is way better but the second one is on the Network.

2 hours ago, thebrainfollower2 said:

Which Kid-Lynn match is the best one to show and is it on the network or online elsewhere?

The Network has a GWF section...with a few USWA shows and nothing else. Makes no sense.

13 minutes ago, peachchaos said:

There was a comp of the Patriot-Dark Patriot feud on YouTube but it appears to have been taken down.

Could it also be on Dailymotion?

I tried looking, but that site's search engine sucks.

18 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Could it also be on Dailymotion?

I tried looking, but that site's search engine sucks.

You're not kidding.  I tried using Dailymotion the other day to look for a particular match I wanted to see that wasn't on YouTube.  I hadn't been to Dailymotion in ages, and I couldn't believe how crappy their stupid search engine was, it's basically useless.

I agree about the Tracy vs. DWB chain match  being the best SMW match . The build up to the match was amazing. DWB burned Smother's   Confederate flag on TV . The outraged Smothers vowed revenge at the Blue Grass  Brawl. Adding to the greatness of this program was the wheel chair bound Ron Wright . DWM was wrestling to earned money to pay for Mister Wright's operations. These operations were needed to save Ron Wright's life. However sometimes  Wright was filled with the holy spirit and was able to walk again . Of course Ron was only filled with the Holy Spirit when the DWB was in peril.

Throwing gasoline on the fire DWB and Wright renounced the South and moved to NYC  . Great stuff.