Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Fyter Fest 2020 - Night two

MoS

5 minutes ago, MoS said:

Surely a guy who is all about kayfabe credibility like JR should stop constantly referring to TYB as arguably the best tag team in the world.

I mean, in kayfabe they are. They've won tag titles in several promotions all over the world (PWG, ROH, NJPW, AAA) so that should mean they are in the short list for best in the world.

1 minute ago, Log said:

He has finally achieved an exactly equal width and height. 

I LOL'd hard. 

This is one of those matches that will get a lot of praise but I got bored halfway through because it was just spot after spot, with no time to sink your teeth into any narrative. 

I loved the main event. Orange Cassidy is the best babyface in pro wrestling right now. 

I really liked the show overall. It's interesting they are using the Fight for the Fallen name for next week and yet so far they have only announced the world title match. The covid situation inadvertently turned out to be a blessing in disguise for the match. Taz's excellent weekly promos have turned the match from a good TV main event to something approaching a major league match. 

Chris Jericho has been so valuable to this company making guys look like stars. I know he's past his prime in terms of workrate (and that was never really his strength anyway) but no one is better at professional wrestling in 2020 than him.

I loved the main event and was sort of hoping that they'd give Cassidy the win but he couldn't have really looked any better in defeat. Nyla and Vickie sounds fantastic but it's a shame we can't get Vickie Guerrero: Heat Machine in front of live crowds. But yikes, that opener was rough. Private Party have their match and everyone has to wrestle it. It works when the Luchas Bros do it but PP are certainly not the Lucha Bros yet. I'd be tempted to throw Hardy in and use them as a solely 6-man team to see if he can calm them down a bit. I wonder if they go with another mystery debut for Cody next week as it seems like Matt Cordona's no-compete will be up and he seems AEW-bound.

11 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

She's nowhere near a good enough promo to serve as a pure mouthpiece. 

Man, I completely disagree with this. I am not even sure Nyla should have a manager, because AEW has too many, but Vickie is a tremendous promo.

Yeah, Vickie Guerrero was awesome in her role in WWE. Not just at getting heat but every time she had to do anything, pretty much.

I can't understand not wanting AEW to use more managers, either. That's one thing that WWE doesn't do well anymore that AEW can do to set themselves apart. Much like not using authority figures & focusing more on tag team wrestling. 

Arn, Tully & Jake have all been tremendous. Growing up as a WWF fan, a lot of the most memorable characters were managers or valets. How many is too many? WWF had Bobby Heenan, Slick, Capt. Lou Albano, Mr. Fuji, Sensational Sherri, Jimmy Hart, Miss Elizabeth, Classy Freddie Blassie, Paul Bearer & Frenchie Martin that I can all remember off the top of my head. No way AEW is anywhere close to that many and it didn't feel like WWF had too many back then.

It's not so much about the number as much as it is about managers being old-time legends who might overshadow the young upcoming (but not yet stars) wrestlers they manage. 1980s WWF had a host of managers, but they also  had a host of really over stars to play off. But yeah, if they figure out a way to do it, it would be great. I have really enjoyed Taz's promos for the Mox fight. When was the last time Taz was cutting badass promos on a weekly basis? 1999?

The main event was kinda bittersweet : excellent match but it would have come off so much better in front of a real crowd going insane for Orange.

The 8-men tag was awesome and the way they are planting the seeds is masterful. Glad to see the Lucha Bros back and Butcher and Blade hanging on with the other three teams was nice.

Remember when Britt Baker was a highlight of the show ? Now she's been totally watered down in this useless angle with equally useless Swole, who also comes off like the heel, really, as she's basically harassing an injured woman who hasn't done anything to her. Bad WWE-like stuff.

Funny, I totally guessed both "big announcements", which really weren't big announcements at all. I never really liked the "self-proclaimed champ" apart from DiBiase, but Taz digging up the old ECW belt was kinda neat, and he's doing a great job as a manager. Speaking of which, Nyla sure needs one because her promo was a complete mess. "All these guys with a manager also have something in common : Arn & Cody : champ... and.... uh.... Taz gave Cage a belt so he's a champ I guess... uh...." yeah and Shawn Spears & Lance Archer sure are champs too... somewhere... Count me in the "please no Vicky Guerrero" crowd. Does not fit Nyla at all and it evokes modern WWE way too much to me (a cameo here and there is ok). I dunno, if you want to think out of the box, Missy Hyatt is right there, plus you already have Jake Roberts. Nyla's squash match was quite fun though.

I'm enjoying the whole Dark Order & Colt Cabane angle. And man, those bruises look brutal ! 6-men tag was quite solid, Stu Grayson is underrated as hell.

Archer vs Janela was good stuff too, I really want more of Janela & Kiss on TV.

The opening match was quite okay I guess, but yeah Private Party still are in the "potential" stage of their career. They need to learn to do more than cool spots, quickly.

Leva Bates singing Jericho's song was adorable. Then again, Leva is always adorable, such a lively character in the crowd, always doing great reactions to the action.

Kip Sabian with his stupid socks was the perfect picture of Millenial Douchebag. I wasn't too sure at first, but considering Ford's massive improvements, yeah, he's Marc Mero...

No one mentioned Darby Allin doing some really stupid stuff ? Hey, the other day he was on DDPY too BTW.

Next week is quite loaded again. Lucha Bros vs FTR already ? Kinda hotshotting to me but it will be awesome. Hopefully Cody's open challenge ends up being another cool thing... (Rusev I would love).