Pro Wrestling Only

Wonder Women Wrestling

Scarlet-Left

Wonder Women of Wrestling – Episode No. CVII – 14th of December 1987 – Airing Live! – Las Vegas, Nevada

Advertised Match:

Debbie Combs versus Rhonda Singh for the WWW Television Championship

We kick this week off at bell time, with Linda Dallas taking on Liz Chase. Whilst Linda Dallas has her partner at ringside, Liz Chase has all of her fellow Glamour Girls. The result is a heel contest that involves constant interference and rule-breaking from everyone.

The narrative is simple, Liz Chase has numbers on her side but Linda Dallas is the better individual combatant. In the end, a methodical destruction of her opponent’s leg is what seals the deal for the Nasty Girl.

Linda Dallas defeats Liz Chase in 12:40 by submission with an Indian deathlock in a Season Match

A promotional music video for Wendi Richter then plays before we move on to what should be the interviews. Instead, we have a war between the Nasty Girls and the Glamour Girls at ringside, as officials flood down the ramp and we cut to a commercial break.

When we return, we get to see the world champ taking on KC Houston in a Season Match. Since her title isn’t on the line, a still-hurting Medusa Miceli feels able to wrestle this match at a relaxed pace. We get a bit of back-and-forth early on because of this but the idea of competing credibly against the world champion goes to the head of KC Houston and she pays dearly for her overconfidence. Medusa Miceli then proceeds to embarrass her, battering her from pillar to post before ending the match with her signature and a lazy pin.

Medusa Miceli defeats KC Houston in 10:21 by pinfall after a German suplex in a Season Match and the NWA World Women’s Championship does not change hands

A hype package for the main event then plays us through to the interviews. KC Houston tries to insist that she was “this close” to pinning the world champion and deserves a rematch, but this time with the belt on the line. Medusa Miceli dismisses her opponent and focuses on tonight’s main event, saying that she believes Debbie Combs can go all the way, beat Rhonda Singh tonight and then take the US title from Wendi Richter.

Another commercial break then takes us to our third match, another season match, this one pitting Rockin’ Robin against Peggy Lee Leather. Both women have their partners at ringside and proceed to have a very competitive back-and-forth. It seems like it could either way until the Star Girl manages to get her opponent up on the turnbuckle.

Rockin’ Robin defeats Peggy Lee Leather in 11:56 by pinfall after a super bulldog in a Season Match

An advert for the merchandise catalogue then plays before we head to the interviews. Peggy Lee Leather and Candi Devine allege foul play in the match, rudely batting away the interviewer’s questions. The Star Girls, by contrast, happily opine on the current events within the company.

After a commercial break we get to our last season match of the night, with Lady Apache taking on Princess Delta Dawn. Both women have their partners with them and this is yet another even-sided back-and-forth match. Lady Apache regularly goes high and knocks her opponent down with flashy moves, whilst Princess Delta Dawn delivers a barrage of massive throws and strikes.

In the end, we get a sneaky trip from Malia Hosaka, leading a prone Lady Apache to have her body crushed by Princess Delta Dawn.

Princess Delta Dawn defeats Lady Apache in 13:02 by pinfall after a splash in a Season Match

A brief rundown of the season’s leaderboard then plays before we cut to the interviews. Lady Apache complains about interference as she holds her bruised back. Princess Delta Dawn congratulates herself and demands a title match.

A commercial break then brings us to our main event. Neither woman bothers with a flashy entrance and we get hard-hitting fighting from the word go. Debbie Combs has the technical edge but Rhonda Singh is able to neutralise this by running her down and wearing her out.

After a commercial break, we see the two women become increasingly desperate, lashing out with brutality and risky tactics. The finish sees a nasty spot, with Debbie Combs collapsing to the canvas to trip up a running Rhonda Singh whose neck connects with the top rope.

Debbie Combs defeats Rhonda Singh in 27:34 by pinfall after a neckbreaker to retain the WWW Television Championship

We end on a shot of a cheering Debbie Combs as the commentators speculate on her ability to beat Wendi Richter.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Dallas submission win leads to a gang fight between the Nasty Girls & the Glamour Girls. Nice energetic open.

Medusa has to step it up to put Houston in her place.

Robin with a solid seasonal win.

The Princess gets a big win thanks to a little help from a friend.

Combs wins a bruising main event to advance to a US title shot.

Dallas gets things going with a submission win over Chase. 

I think KC thought she could take a banged up Medusa. She thought wrong.

Robin and Peggy Lee go head to head in a competitive match. Robin should be considered for a title shot.

Thanks to Malia, Dawn puts Apache down. 

Combs beats Rhonda in one of the most creative finishes I've seen. Is Combs ready for Richter? 

Wonder Women of Wrestling – Episode No. CVIII – 21st of December 1987 – Airing Live! – Las Vegas, Nevada

Advertised Match:

Wendi Richter versus Debbie Combs for the NWA United States Women’s Championship

We open this week’s programme with a brief rundown of the card, before heading into our traditional opener. The newly vacant television title is being contested by Misty Blue Simmes and Princess Delta Dawn.

The narrative for this one is quite simple, with the multi-time champ heading up against a rookie with power on her side. We get a fun back-and-forth for a while but eventually it becomes obvious that Princess Delta Dawn has missed her chance to put this one away and Misty Blue Simmes has managed to run her ragged before going in for the kill.

Misty Blue Simmes defeats Princess Delta Dawn in 12:29 by pinfall after a diving splash to win the WWW Television Championship

A hype package for the main event then takes us through to the interviews. Princess Delta Dawn is all thunder and fire, as she shouts her way through a promo, lambasting the company for granting her opponent yet another chance for a short reign with the belt. Misty Blue Simmes chats happily about her victory but says she feels the need to prove herself by swiftly gaining the US title.

A commercial break then takes us to our first season match of the night. With their partners in their corner, we have Kat Le Roux taking on Reggie Bennett. A heel affair, through and through, this match is nasty from the start, with brawling around the ring, constant interference and ridiculous amounts of rule-breaking. In the end, the finish sees Linda Dallas successfully distract Reggie Bennett before getting knocked down hard by Rhonda Singh, a trade she’s happy to make as it allows Kat LeRoux to get a three count by the skin of her teeth.

Kat LeRoux defeats Reggie Bennett in 13:46 by pinfall with a schoolboy roll-up in a Season Match

Before we can cut to a promotional video, the fighting has already started up again as the Monsters beat their opponents savagely. The Nasty Girls eventually make a break for it, running up the entrance ramp, passing the Giant Slayers who’re refusing to let this opportunity pass them by, diving right into the fight, and getting some hard hits in before the officials can swarm in and regain control.

Another commercial is then followed by another season match, as Desiree Petersen, fresh off her brawl with the Monsters, takes on Ashly Kennedy. With her teammates arrayed around the ring, ready to deal with the Monsters if they come back for round two, Desiree Petersen is free to give her opponent her full attention. Whilst remaining respectful, letting Ashly Kennedy catch her breath here and there, the leader of the Giant Slayers dominates the proceedings and the match serves as a showcase of her skill and her moveset.

Desiree Petersen defeats Ashly Kennedy in 09:51 by submission with a Boston crab in a Season Match

A promotional music video for Medusa Miceli then plays and we head to the interviews. Ashly Kennedy pouts and whines, backed up in all of her accusations towards her opponent by Brittany Brown. The Giant Slayers begin to chat away happily, before having their interview broken up by the Monsters, who barrel into them and restart the brawl, this time on their terms. We cut to commercials amidst the chaos.

When we return, we have a badly bruised Selina Majors facing off against the former Monster, Mad Maxine. The result is a deeply one-sided affair as the big woman demolishes her opposition.

Mad Maxine defeats Selina Majors in 08:02 by pinfall after a vertical suplex in a Season Match

Another hype package for the main event then plays and we get to the interviews. Selina Majors is buoyed by her comrades, who blame the Monsters for her loss, remaining on guard throughout. Mad Maxine implies she is upset that her victory was tainted by her opponent’s altercations from earlier in the night.

After another commercial break, we arrive at our penultimate match, with one again featuring the Giant Slayers, with Winona Little Heart and Susan Starr, both a little beaten up, going up against each other.

This respectful and clean contest is fairly even but there is never any doubt that Winona Little Heart is the one in control and Susan Starr is the one struggling to keep up. The finish is textbook.

Winona Little Heart defeats Susan Starr in 08:30 by pinfall with a victory roll in a Season Match

A video showing off another sponsored charity drive then follows before we head to the interviews. The Giant Slayers use the opportunity to talk about the Monsters and their desire to steal their title belts away from them.

A commercial break then takes us through to our main event. Debbie Combs is already in the ring, pacing around nervously, and Wendi Richter is beginning to take a drawn-out journey down the ramp. Just before she gets into the ring, however, Medusa Miceli rushes down with a steel chair and strikes her hard across one of her legs.

Staff members rush to take the world champion away, though she has thrown her weapon and is walking off by the time they arrive, and a few officials fuss over Wendi Richter. Enraged, however, the champ clambers into the ring and asks the referee to ring the bell. The commentators mention the fact that she is just one defence away from an automatic match for the world title.

The contest is brutal, as Debbie Combs senses blood in the water and hones in on her opponent’s leg and proceeds to torture her. By the time we return from a commercial break, both women are exhausted and bruised and the champ is in tears. Desperate for someway to equalise things, Wendi Richter wraps her arms tight around Debbie Combs' neck and drags her to the turnbuckle, trying to choke the life out of her, positioning herself on the bottom rope and lifting her off canvas.

Initially trying to be lenient, after the five count has long since expired and Wendi Richter has ignored several warnings, the referee calls for the bell, and Debbie Combs is finally given some respite.

Debbie Combs defeats Wendi Richter in 18:49 by disqualification but the NWA United States Women’s Championship does not change hands

As Debbie Combs hugs the ropes and gaps for breath, Wendi Richter screams and raves at the referee, as Pat Patterson and a gaggle of officials rush down to the ring. Intense conversations are held that last for a minute or so before Pat Patterson speaks to Debbie Combs, seeming to suggest that what happens next is up to her. After a few moments of contemplation, the challenger asks for another chance, which, as it happens, provokes an evil smile from Wendi Richter.

The next ten minutes are even nastier, as both women try to hurt each other as much as they try to win. With the two in a weakened state, it all seems to come down to who has just a little more gas in the tank. In the end, it’s the champion.

Wendi Richter defeats Debbie Combs in 11:03 by pinfall after a powerbomb to retain the NWA United States Women’s Championship

We end on a shot of badly beaten Wendi Richter, struggling to ascend the turnbuckle and show off her title.

The Princess' power isn't enough to take the TV title from Misty.

LeRoux takes advantage of her partners sacrifice to score a surprising win.

Peterson claims victory but the Monsters are there to cut the celebration short.

Majors suffers the effects of the Monsters assault & falls to Maxine.

Little Heart shows Starr why she's on top of the Giant Slayers pecking order.

Medusa tries to stack things in her friends favor but Richter is too vicious for Combs to handle.

Congrats to Misty on winning the TV title! 

Love all the wild chaos between the Monsters, Giant Slayers and Nasty Girls. Great TV! 

Maxine is someone to watch in 88.

Combs and Richter absolutely tear it up tonight! We even get a bonus match. Richter hangs on to win it. Medusa vs. Richter has been one awesome feud and looking forward to more! 

Get well soon brother! 

• 1 year later...

Wonder Women of Wrestling - Postscript (OOC)

Having enjoyed myself immensely with this project, and being gutted that it ended so anti-climactically, I wanted to offer some final thoughts. This all began as an attempt simply to spice up my own territory. A women's division seemed like a fun side project and, yet, the further I took it, the more I realised that I could build a promotion that almost functioned as its own separate world, with total freedom to reimagine women's wrestling in the United States.

From the beginning I had a singular vision: I wanted to create the anti-GLOW. I allowed for some parallels, of course, since it isn't as though I have some burning hatred of the promotion, but I wanted a "sports-based" product that took women's wrestling seriously. There was always going to be a little trouble, there, of course, in terms of plausibility.

I'm sure everyone here has at one time entertained the fantasy of Jim Cornette keeping SMW open another year, in time for the wrestling boom, or Bill Watts getting his hands on the money to sustain the UWF, the AWA keeping their hands on Hulk Hogan, and so on and so forth, but for women's wrestling there's really nothing seize upon, certainly not in the eighties, apart from the one thing I didn't want to do.

I hedged my bets, there, and tried to put a lot of emphasis on the commercial aspects of the promotion, with as many sponsorships as possible. An idea I considered, for example, was having the women - or at least the top stars - all wear jackets to the ring, with sponsors on them.

Beyond that, I tried to create, in the form of the "season" system, a way to generate storylines somewhat organically, though I never got to really show that off, as it would've taken about half a year longer to create a real sense of the winners and losers of the first season. Of course, I had my big stars and I identified them early, namely Wendi Richter and Madusa Miceli.

Something I was perhaps a little too pleased with was changing the latter's name to Medusa. It's an idea I'd had for many years before I even knew this place existed, and comes from a concept I developed that I might eventually share. Of course, I wanted her to be my top heel with the idea, a few years down the line, being to see if I could pull off a big double turn passing-of-the-torch moment between WWF's top girl of the 80s and the WWF's top girl of the early 90s.

In the meantime, I wanted faction warfare, which is perhaps my favourite trope in professional wrestling. If I were to do it all over again, I would definitely have defined my stables earlier on and given them a sharper sense of character.

Anyway, this has gone far beyond being just a few quick afterthoughts so I'll stop here. I want to say a big thank you to everyone who commented week to week, and I'm so glad to see the game still going strong after poor health took me away from it.

Glad to see you, if only for a bit. Hope things are going well. I always loved what you did with your promotion. Definitely influenced my decision to grab Lisa Moretti/Tina Ferrari when you closed up shop. Hope I have continued with her in the spirit that you did. Cheers and thanks.

Great to see you pop up again. I really enjoyed your shows and what you did with a woman's promotion. It was so entertaining and fun to read, especially your monthly supercards. 

I hope you're doing well and hope we'll see you around. 

Thank you for your amazing contributions.