Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - March 31, 2021

MoS

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it will necessarily die, but I doubt it will be the highest segment of the show. There's always a curiosity factor when someone who was in one promotion for a long time has their first match in a new one. 

Kenny/Good Brothers vs Lucha Bros/Laredo Kid will be a banger for sure, and cubsfan pointed out the irony that there will be more AAA champions in this match (Kenny and Laredo) than what was on AAA's last taping. 

9 minutes ago, MoS said:

The rollercoaster ride of AEW's inconsistent booking continues. This week we have Christian's first match, and I, much like everyone else, expect it to die in the ratings 

Christian has fans. I don’t see why it would ‘die in the ratings’. I don’t expect it to be the greatest thing ever, but I’m sure it will be an ok match that shouldn’t cause anyone to change the channel. 

7 minutes ago, Flyin' Brian said:

Christian has fans. I don’t see why it would ‘die in the ratings’. I don’t expect it to be the greatest thing ever, but I’m sure it will be an ok match that shouldn’t cause anyone to change the channel. 

He's facing Kaz, so I'm sure the match itself will be good. Honestly I'm still wondering how Christian got cleared after being on the no contact list for so long. Say what you will about WWE, but they usually don't mess around with head and neck injuries.

1 minute ago, sek69 said:

He's facing Kaz, so I'm sure the match itself will be good. Honestly I'm still wondering how Christian got cleared after being on the no contact list for so long. Say what you will about WWE, but they usually don't mess around with head and neck injuries.

Daniel Bryan did. Edge did. Hopefully over time he got better. 

3 minutes ago, Flyin' Brian said:

Daniel Bryan did. Edge did. Hopefully over time he got better. 

With Daniel, it was because he was too open and honest when he mentioned he had post concussion type symptoms at one time and it spooked WWE doctors. Edge I believe had another surgery on his neck that wasn't an option at the time when he retired that improved his situation (not that I think he should be taking bumps now). Christian got iced for too many concussions so I wonder what changed with him. 

36 minutes ago, Flyin' Brian said:

He has meant absolutely nothing for the ratings so far. Not even a slight bump. Matt Cardona might have evoked more intrigue when he debuted 

54 minutes ago, sek69 said:

The concussion lawsuits were done. That’s the long and short of it.

Christian will be fine. He’s not going to be a ratings difference maker I don’t think but it was a gamble they took and this idea that he’s going to absolutely tank ratings seems overly dramatic. He’ll do fine in line with what they usually do, have a great match with Omega for the title down the line and then settle back into a midcard slot. He’d be a valuable opponent for the likes of Ricky Starks down the line.

I don't think the objective of Christian's debut is purely ratings. It seems to be a purposely understated/underpromoted debut so he can blow away expectations in-ring and to sell his Out Work Everyone gimmick. I think AEW read the fan feedback to their big PPV surprise mistake and pivoted a bit. 

I watched back some old Christian singles stuff recently and I’m relatively excited for him doing some good old fashioned TV wrestling. I think they could build a very dramatic title match with Omega if they leaned into his history of concussions and built it around him needing to avoid V-Triggers. Then the whole thing can be structured around Omega finally hitting one.

3 minutes ago, FMKK said:

I watched back some old Christian singles stuff recently and I’m relatively excited for him doing some good old fashioned TV wrestling. I think they could build a very dramatic title match with Omega if they leaned into his history of concussions and built it around him needing to avoid V-Triggers. Then the whole thing can be structured around Omega finally hitting one.

He looked like he could still go in the Royal Rumble. In his exchanges with Daniel Bryan in particular.

AEW doesn't need another Sting and Big Show. They need some who can work regularly. 

8 minutes ago, FMKK said:

I watched back some old Christian singles stuff recently and I’m relatively excited for him doing some good old fashioned TV wrestling.

...from the 00's. :D 

That doesn't make me feel old at all when people refer to some post-00's stuff (whatever it is, music, movies, wrestling) as "good old fashioned" !!! 

I'm such a boomer now, as they say.

13 minutes ago, rovert said:

He looked like he could still go in the Royal Rumble. In his exchanges with Daniel Bryan in particular.

AEW doesn't need another Sting and Big Show. They need some who can work regularly. 

I feel like that’s what the Out Work Everyone shit is about, as corny as it is. Signifying that he’s a regular roster member and not a now and again type of guy.

8 minutes ago, El-P said:

...from the 00's. :D 

That doesn't make me feel old at all when people refer to some post-00's stuff (whatever it is, music, movies, wrestling) as "good old fashioned" !!! 

I'm such a boomer now, as they say.

I totally get what you mean, it doesn’t seem that long ago. But I just think he’s not really a high spot guy compared to others on their roster but he can do all the basic stuff really well, work smooth, time stuff etc. Akin to Dustin but pushed a bit higher I guess.

7 minutes ago, FMKK said:

But I just think he’s not really a high spot guy compared to others on their roster but he can do all the basic stuff really well, work smooth, time stuff etc. 

That's funny because when he debuted in WWF, he was clearly part of that new generation of indy guys who were doing odd looking spots (like Edge or the Hardys) that looked totally different from the previous generation to the point you could say they weren't "trained properly" (hum.... reminds me of something). And now of course, him and Matt Hardy are the typical "old school guys" who can do "solid old school matches". Same could be said of Kazarian BTW, who really became famous in TNA doing the X-division stuff and really wasn't the best at it either (never was a fan of his very early work) but now he's a totally relatable veteran worker who's gonna bring the really solid "old school work". Of course they have all matured in their work too but still, they are a very different from "real" old school workers. From the 80's I mean ! ;) But yeah, times makes everything so bizarre.

The promo to set up the match last week teased the history between the two.  Most of TNA is a blur to me....was there ever an on-screen relationship between Christian and Kazarian or were they just there at the same time?

I for one am looking forward to this match.  Christian is a great TV wrestler and I'm sure he can still go.  Kaz is really good, one of Jericho's best AEW matches was against him on Dynamite, I'm sure this will be a banger.  I also like that they're having Christian work his way up the ranks by getting wins on TV before going after Omega.

Big Show and Sting honestly do nothing for me and I'd prefer they weren't there as on-screen talent, but in terms of merch, video game and getting international TV guys like that are important.  I'm sure Sting helped open a lot of doors for TNA back in the day.  Big Show on Talk is Jericho flat out said he thinks he'll help AEW get TV in India.  From that perspective it makes a ton of sense, I just don't like the TNA/WWE-lite vibe it gives off.

Christian on the other hand I think was a great pickup for on-screen and talent development reasons, and it doesn't matter that he doesn't necessarily move the needle.  He does have a lot of fans, myself included, and I'm looking forward to seeing him in fresh matches with new talent.  I think we get a run similar to his WWECW run where he's consistently having good-great matches on TV and helping guys improve in the process.

Christian is one of my favourite wrestlers but I absolutely do not need to see him featured prominently on my TV in 2021. Better than Edge, but still. I get to see Sting leech off Darby's spotlight every week as it is, I don't need to see more old guys running around

26 minutes ago, cm funk said:

The promo to set up the match last week teased the history between the two.  Most of TNA is a blur to me....was there ever an on-screen relationship between Christian and Kazarian or were they just there at the same time?

I for one am looking forward to this match.  Christian is a great TV wrestler and I'm sure he can still go.  Kaz is really good, one of Jericho's best AEW matches was against him on Dynamite, I'm sure this will be a banger.  I also like that they're having Christian work his way up the ranks by getting wins on TV before going after Omega.

Big Show and Sting honestly do nothing for me and I'd prefer they weren't there as on-screen talent, but in terms of merch, video game and getting international TV guys like that are important.  I'm sure Sting helped open a lot of doors for TNA back in the day.  Big Show on Talk is Jericho flat out said he thinks he'll help AEW get TV in India.  From that perspective it makes a ton of sense, I just don't like the TNA/WWE-lite vibe it gives off.

Christian on the other hand I think was a great pickup for on-screen and talent development reasons, and it doesn't matter that he doesn't necessarily move the needle.  He does have a lot of fans, myself included, and I'm looking forward to seeing him in fresh matches with new talent.  I think we get a run similar to his WWECW run where he's consistently having good-great matches on TV and helping guys improve in the process.

They had a feud in 2007 or so which consisted of a very good TV match and then a ladder match that Kaz won. But obviously it's TNA so that never translated to a serious elevation.

I think they even wrestled before then on independents. They do genuinely go way back.

This beef started cuz Dustin was being a stupid participant in that tag team battle royale. It escalated cuz QT didn't rush to his aid even though there were about 8 other wrestlers helping Cody. And now QT is out there alone while Cody is surrounded by his minions. How is QT the heel here