Pro Wrestling Only

[2021-04-11-WWE-WrestleMania 37] Roman Reigns vs Daniel Bryan vs Edge

KawadaSmile

Roman Reigns defends the WWE Universal Title in a triple threat match

I love how they wasted NO TIME with the bombs and the interference. Made people stand on the edge of their seats from the get go.

Actually, that's all irrelevant. Roman pinned both men at the same time. Shoulders down. Dreams got smashed. This is the Big Dog.

This wasn't on par with the past WM triple threat main events of the past and Edge is doesn't do it for me but I thought there was enough chaos in this to say it was good at least. It's pretty wild to think Bryan would agree to that conchairto at this point his career with his concussion history. Definitely benefited from Bryan being thrown in the mix instead of a straight up Reigns vs. Edge singles match. Hope Reigns moves on to new opponents as Big E and Cesaro are there now available.

Yeah. This wasn't a great triple threat match like WM 30 had but it was good nonetheless. They certainly made me think that both Edge and Daniel Bryan had the match won at certain points in the match before that momentum was snuffed out. The conchairto spot were wicked and Bryan's selling of his was excellent. Someone I was speaking to genuinely thought he was having a seizure. I think Roman pinning both was a great character moment. I think Roman's new gimmick can either be way too melodramatic with the in-match soliloquies or he can just be plain boring, but having the gall to stack Edge and Bryan on top of each other like King King Bundy winning a handicap squash in the build to WM 2 is an excellent character choice. ***1/2

This started super hot and didn't let up for it's duration. Pretty much nonstop action for almost 22 minutes and the crowd was as into this as anything else on either night. Edge got rid of Jey Uso for the majority of the match with an edgecution on the steps which looked sufficiently devastating. The double spears cancelling each other out was an obvious but necessary spot and they pulled it off well. Bryan had his moments with the kicks, double flying headbutts and yes lock. The "grabbing the hand to stop one wrestler submit" spot is usually a bit dumb but this was a bit better because Reigns had the chair leg in his mouth and Bryan quickly used his arm to lock in his move rather than just holding his arm and making a silly face for too long. Bryan took a couple of big bumps from Reigns - the suplex on the outside and the powerbomb through the table - before Reigns himself took a spear off the steps from Edge. Chairshots in modern WWE are probably better when the wrestler is lying on the mat because it's less obvious that they are positioning themselves to take it safely. All the stuff with the conchairtos is all the more impactful when you remind yourself of Bryan and Edge's history. The finish is memorable too, as Reigns capitalises on Uso's interference to finish off Edge and pin both opponents at once which leaves him looking very strong. 

I'd quite like to rewatch this alongside the triple threat main events from 20 and 30 to see how it measures up but I thought it was a very good showing. 

This is an all-time great three-way dance. It felt like a big match with its phenomenal build, and it lived up to the hype & then some more. There was absolutely ZERO downtime, it was absolute nonstop, great action from the opening bell till the finish. Some silly Edge facial expressions of course, but honestly even those didn't take anything away, as it all added to his "crazed old man on a mission" character. Speaking of characters, I looooove the differences in all 3 men here. It made the whole dynamic so compelling even before the match had started, and they played up those differences in their characters wonderfully throughout the match. Great damn shit, all of it. Some of my favorite moments were Bryan's kick counter to Reigns' Superman Punch attempt, Reigns getting "Roman Sucks" chants & answering by dumping Bryan through the announce table, the sequence w/ the chair-struggle between Edge & Reigns, the whole Crossface bit & the aftermath w/ Bryan destroying Edge, that legitimately superb nearfall after Edge's Spear to Reigns. Love the finish too! It's the first time Roman Reigns actually feels like THE ACE that he has always been positioned to be. Took them a while, but it has happened. Amazing stuff. ****1/4

• 4 weeks later...

There are few things that intrigue me less than a WWE triple threat match, let alone one at the main event of Wrestlemania, but I thought this story was told quite well beforehand even if they left out several elements that would seem naturally a fit for the narrative. 

I’m seeing people saying this doesn’t stack up with the other notable 3-ways and I find that interesting.

In my opinion the meat of this match is better than WM30 but the whole of that match is above and beyond almost anything that happened in professional wrestling before or since. I also would have to put both matches quite ahead of WM20, a match that is overrated by some and I have no interest in going back and analyzing a match with 3 individuals who have done so much to ruin professional wrestling for me. 

This was a fantastically booked triple threat, that kept all elements of the story in line and most importantly kept me guessing. This match allowed the fans to feel like they’re getting worked a little. The finish was perfect spot, and in hindsight it seems Obvious that the face of the company would go over on two formerly retired veterans on the creative staff but I didn’t predict it. Beautiful visual with Roman pinning both guys. As with everything that Roman and Bryan do together this was nearly as perfect as something could be in these current WWE dark ages. 

****1/4